The playoff "advantage"???

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Originally posted by philpo:
I think you should take the average from the regular season and the average from the 3 week playoffs and add them together. Like that.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Originally posted by philpo:
I think you should take the average from the regular season and the average from the 3 week playoffs and add them together. this is the same as 3X regular season avg.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by philpo:
I think you should take the average from the regular season and the average from the 3 week playoffs and add them together. this is the same as 3X regular season avg. [/QUOTE]But by saying 'take the average from the regular season and the average from the 3 week playoffs and add them together.'

Most would than be OK with it. ;)

RC Techies

Post by RC Techies » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I would be opposed to changing the rules as they now stand. And I certainly would be opposed to changing the game so it resembles the NFBC. The fun of week to week matchups is what makes fantasy football the greatest.

I doubt I will play fantasy baseball this year. Last year was my first experience and I found that it was hard to maintain excitement. There just was no overly compelling reason to watch baseball. I don't think I watched more than 3 or 4 games all season. Now if I had been playing head to head, then my interest would have been peaked. But just using stats quickly became boring. If somebody has a head to head game for baseball then I may play again.

Which is why I am opposed to all play. Boring. I tried a couple of draft championship satellites and I won't be doing that again. Boring. I don't even remember who plays on my teams. I just check occasionally to see how I did.

It is tough enough to make it to the playoffs. I don't think we need to weight the playoffs in favor of any teams. I certainly take into account what the playoff schedule is when I draft teams. It is part of the strategy.

botherk

Post by botherk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:50 pm

It's probably just me, so bear with me. Don't bare with me, we probably both wouldn't enjoy that.
Years ago when I started playing fantasy football, there were no playoffs. I know, kinda like the old man saying he walked uphill 10 miles both ways to school when he was a kid.
To tell the truth, I found it more enjoyable. Every team in the league played all 16 or 17 weeks. No weeks counted more than another. The true winner really was the one that had the best team.
Now, there are playoffs. As if the luck factor could not be increased even more, teams now just perform well over a relative short amount of time, so that they may advance to another level where everything is decided in three weeks.
Professional sports have playoffs for one reason and one reason throughout time, money. Fantasy does not have to mirror professional sports. We enjoy watching them, we enjoy the stats accumulating as they play, but to compare our game to theirs is folly.
I've been out of fantasy football for awhile. The luck factor increasing through the years drove me away. I'll post later about the luck-skill factor, but it seems to me that if anything, fantasy football players are gravitated even more to the luck side with playoffs. In effect the also rans are getting another chance at beating a team that has drubbed them over a longer haul.
Maybe I am missing something, like I said, but it seems to me like 15 guys running for President, having one guy garner 60% of the vote, only to hold another election with just four candidates.

[ November 05, 2009, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
It's probably just me, so bear with me. Don't bare with me, we probably both wouldn't enjoy that.
Years ago when I started playing fantasy football, there were no playoffs. I know, kinda like the old man saying he walked uphill 10 miles both ways to school when he was a kid.
To tell the truth, I found it more enjoyable. Every team in the league played all 16 or 17 weeks. No weeks counted more than another. The true winner really was the one that had the best team.
Now, there are playoffs. As if the luck factor could not be increased even more, teams now just perform well over a relative short amount of time, so that they may advance to another level where everything is decided in three weeks.
Professional sports have playoffs for one reason and one reason throughout time, money. Fantasy does not have to mirror professional sports. We enjoy watching them, we enjoy the stats accumulating as they play, but to compare our game to theirs is folly.
I've been out of fantasy football for awhile. The luck factor increasing through the years drove me away. I'll post later about the luck-skill factor, but it seems to me that if anything, fantasy football players are gravitated even more to the luck side with playoffs. In effect the also rans are getting another chance at beating a team that has drubbed them over a longer haul.
Maybe I am missing something, like I said, but it seems to me like 15 guys running for President, having one guy garner 60% of the vote, only to hold another election with just four candidates. This sounds great for a satellite league!

Now...as for a main event? Football is so short. The entire process plays out in 16 games.

Baseball can play 16 games in 3 weeks.

No comparison.

Saying one team is better than another over 3 or 4 weeks is damn near the same as saying they were better over 11 or 12 weeks. Both are small samples.

Let me know when you find a game of nearly 90-100% skill that also requires a $1400 investment to play that is taking the nation by storm.

Luck factoring in is what makes most games fun.

A 16 week (or 17 :rolleyes: ) all points competition is just about as boring as it gets.

A startup company that used that as its platform would go belly up.

These playoff and luck factors must be good for the game itself to attract enough players to be profitable. More people would drop out due to lack of fun than lack of luck. See...you're back, Uncle Dan! :D (and you may be one of a handful that left or never joined for that reason)

Take away the luck, and/or make the game boring, and they'd be leaving in droves.

Like every other post ever posted...just my opinion.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Originally posted by RC Techies:
I would be opposed to changing the rules as they now stand. And I certainly would be opposed to changing the game so it resembles the NFBC. The fun of week to week matchups is what makes fantasy football the greatest.

I doubt I will play fantasy baseball this year. Last year was my first experience and I found that it was hard to maintain excitement. There just was no overly compelling reason to watch baseball. I don't think I watched more than 3 or 4 games all season. Now if I had been playing head to head, then my interest would have been peaked. But just using stats quickly became boring. If somebody has a head to head game for baseball then I may play again.

Which is why I am opposed to all play. Boring. I tried a couple of draft championship satellites and I won't be doing that again. Boring. I don't even remember who plays on my teams. I just check occasionally to see how I did.

It is tough enough to make it to the playoffs. I don't think we need to weight the playoffs in favor of any teams. I certainly take into account what the playoff schedule is when I draft teams. It is part of the strategy. I'M IN A 100% AGREEMENT WITH YOU TECHIES. THIS IS THE ASPECT I TELL G.G. ABOUT.

I SIMPLY CAN'T ENJOY THE GAMES THE SAME WITHOUT THE HEAD TO HEAD ELEMENT.

LIKE A COUPLE YEARS AGO I TRIED FANTASY BASKETBALL AND IT WAS JUST BORING TO ME. NO HEAD TO HEAD ELEMENT FOLLOWING ROTO STATS JUST DIDN'T CUT IT.

IF FACT THE MESSAGE BOARD IN MY LEAGUE WAS DEAD ALL YEAR LONG. NOTHING TOO MUCH TO DISCUSS WITHOUT THE HEAD TO HEAD ELEMENT IN MY OPINION.

EVERY WEEK WE HAVE AT LEAST A FOUR PAGE THREAD ON WHAT DO YOU NEED ON MONDAY NIGHT. IN BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL ITS IRREVALENT.

I WOULD NEVER DISCOURAGE ROTO PLAY BUT IT'S JUST NOT FOR ME. ONLY ON A SIDE SATELLITE LIKE I DO NOW.

[ November 05, 2009, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: KOTRAX ]

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:53 pm

Just another thought...

How much money is awarded for league championships? (as a whole, event total)

Are league championships really based on that one or two week playoff...or is it more the entire season up to that point getting you there along with the championship matchups?

Same goes for the inter league championship. Is it REALLY just the playoffs...or it it the entire season setting you up for a chance at the big prize.

Do you really want a main event where one foolish league can screw up the entire main event? (If it were league points only)

Do you NOT want a reset to foil potential collusion?

Being a 16 game competition...does that really tell you which teams were best? Can it? It can tell you which team won the contest under the contest rules...but had the contest been 14 or 15 or 17 weeks long...another team could have won. "Best" is relative to a cutoff point/time stamp.

[ November 05, 2009, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

botherk

Post by botherk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

The fun is inherent, Lance. Fantasy football enhances the enjoyment of watching real football. Whether it is head to head, with playoffs, without playoffs...it doesen't matter, it'll be popular because football is a great tv sport.

My opinion means little. I happened to enjoy fantasy more when playoffs were not a part of the plan. I knew I would be in the minority with that statement. No big deal.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:20 pm

Originally posted by RC Techies:
I doubt I will play fantasy baseball this year. Last year was my first experience and I found that it was hard to maintain excitement. this morning i'll do a writeup on the difference between the person who plays only fantasy football as opposed to the person who plays only fantasy baseball.