Playoff System Protest

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:12 am

Greg and all,

So much for anonymity...LOL!

Well, since my Blue_Foot mask is off, I guess I have to come clean about the fact that I would never, ever throw a game. Just not my nature. Can't do it.

The threat was just a tactic to get attention for this issue. I am very sorry if my ploy angered anyone. I truly do believe a playoff system would add a lot to the league.

Finally, my concern is not for this season. Its about my fantasy choices for future years. I want to be in a league that gives the most potential fun. Also, is it unfair or lucky when a team is eliminated from the NFL in the playoffs? No...the idea of a playoff is that not all games are equally important. Some are "regular games" others are "playoff games". When you get to the end, the importance of the games increase...that makes a better league as people seek to improve each week and build a great team over the course of the season...not just in the draft. The other way is actually just draft luck...LOL!

OK...how about trying both systems simultaneously next year in the PrimeTime? Leave the classic...classic. But, put a six team playoff and a six team consolation playoff system in place in the PrimeTime.

All teams compete for something in the post season (minor prize for the consolation playoff winner...maybe the current 3rd place award). Top two...(teams that get the byes in each of the brackets) go to the Championship and Consolation Points Chases respectively. The remainder of the teams can go into separate consolation Points Chases for minor awards.

Greg, this is just an idea to get your creative juices flowing. I do not contend that it is perfect or even deeply considered. You have been on the lead with 3RR and KDS. Instinctively, you must know that there is a gap here regarding playoffs. You also know that can do both systems simultaneously...as demonstrated by the internal league contest when points and record are split.. Please put some additional work into estimating the money and the finer points that only an industry professional can understand in detail. The let us know an actual option. Not a comparison with systems from failed and lesser quality leagues, but a NFFC proposal vs a NFFC current system choice.

Thanks Greg! ....and thanks for "dime-ing" me out! Cheers!

Jodicus AKA Blue_Foot
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:19 am

Originally posted by mattjb:
players here want the best teams to win.

the whole premise of this thread is "I have the 4th best team but I want to win 1st place money" Nope. You just got lucky with a couple of early season draft picks. I, on the other-hand, have been relentlessly building my team all year. Now, my team is far better than yours and you are afraid to play me in a winner take all head-to-head, man against man, death match!!!!

That my friend is the spirit of a playoff! That is the spirit of competition! Bring it on!

You are afraid!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 am

As I said before, this won't be our final survey so people will have at least one more opportunity to provide us with feedback about we offer. [/QB][/quote]

Sounds good, Tom. Provided that the survey choices include an NFFC "both" option.

Cheers!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
Greg and all,

So much for anonymity...LOL!

Well, since my Blue_Foot mask is off, I guess I have to come clean about the fact that I would never, ever throw a game. Just not my nature. Can't do it.

The threat was just a tactic to get attention for this issue. I am very sorry if my ploy angered anyone. I truly do believe a playoff system would add a lot to the league.

Finally, my concern is not for this season. Its about my fantasy choices for future years. I want to be in a league that gives the most potential fun. Also, is it unfair or lucky when a team is eliminated from the NFL in the playoffs? No...the idea of a playoff is that not all games are equally important. Some are "regular games" others are "playoff games". When you get to the end, the importance of the games increase...that makes a better league as people seek to improve each week and build a great team over the course of the season...not just in the draft. The other way is actually just draft luck...LOL!

OK...how about trying both systems simultaneously next year in the PrimeTime? Leave the classic...classic. But, put a six team playoff and a six team consolation playoff system in place in the PrimeTime.

All teams compete for something in the post season (minor prize for the consolation playoff winner...maybe the current 3rd place award). Top two...(teams that get the byes in each of the brackets) go to the Championship and Consolation Points Chases respectively. The remainder of the teams can go into separate consolation Points Chases for minor awards.

Greg, this is just an idea to get your creative juices flowing. I do not contend that it is perfect or even deeply considered. You have been on the lead with 3RR and KDS. Instinctively, you must know that there is a gap here regarding playoffs. You also know that can do both systems simultaneously...as demonstrated by the internal league contest when points and record are split.. Please put some additional work into estimating the money and the finer points that only an industry professional can understand in detail. The let us know an actual option. Not a comparison with systems from failed and lesser quality leagues, but a NFFC proposal vs a NFFC current system choice.

Thanks Greg! ....and thanks for "dime-ing" me out! Cheers!

Jodicus AKA Blue_Foot Jodicus, I'm not sure devaluing the regular season to allow 6 of 12 teams in a league playoff makes sense. Under that scenario, you'd need a 10-week regular season to do h2h with 6 teams in the playoffs. That doesn't sound like a fair contest. The original debate was whether an 11-week regular season with four teams going h2h in the playoffs was more fair than a 13-week regular season with no playoffs. I'll welcome that debate, but 6 teams in a league playoff? I don't think that makes sense, no matter who you set up the playoffs after 10, 11 or 13 weeks.

An idea like that is for teams that aren't dominant through the regular season and want that one last shot to still win it all. Again, I think it's my job to reward THE BEST TEAMS in each league. And that happens through 13 weeks of the regular season. It's not hard in our current format to see which teams deserve the top league prizes and very rarely in our setup do the 5th or 6th best teams take home the $5,000 league prizes. It can happen, but not as likely.

I'm all for continuing the discussion of playoffs vs. our current format. But a league playoff with 6 teams? I don't think it will happen here in any 12-team format.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 am

Greg,

I have not explained myself well enough....

13 game season.

6-team playoff during the same 3 weeks as the points chase.

Top two after week 13 are in the points chase. The other 4 teams are competing for the league prize only.

Again...both happen during weeks 14-16 simultaneously.

Understand what I am suggesting?
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

renman

Playoff System Protest

Post by renman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 am

Blue_foot,

If I had the best team all year I ABSOLUTELY would be "afraid" of playing a lesser team that finished 4th in a border line coin flip game to determine the winner of the league and ultimately erasing any value accumulated throughout the season of success my first place team displayed.

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Blue_foot,

If I had the best team all year I ABSOLUTELY would be "afraid" of playing a lesser team that finished 4th in a border line coin flip game to determine the winner of the league and ultimately erasing any value accumulated throughout the season of success my first place team displayed. In a six-team playoff format, you would have a bye the first round anyway. I would have to earn the right to play you. Also, in a simultaneous chase and playoff, you would be in the chase and I would not, regardless of our game's outcome. Finally, I guess the NFL should eliminate the playoff system to ensure that the best early season teams win the title....right? Of course not! Buck up Renman! Lets have a playoff!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:16 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
If you like a 4 team playoff with 11 week regular season, play FFPC.

If you like a 2-3 team playoff with 13 week regular season, play NFFC.

If you like both.....play BOTH. :D everyone keeps saying if you want a playoff go play at the ffpc....what if i don't want to play there no matter what they have and this is really my only option? am i not allowd to voice my opinion on the subject without being told to go play elsewhere?

whats the sense of having a message boards if whenever someone wants to try something different they get told to play elsewhere?

there is not bend with you guys....it is either stay as pat or beat it. maybe i will have to look at other options next year

mattjb

Playoff System Protest

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
quote:Originally posted by mattjb:
players here want the best teams to win.

the whole premise of this thread is "I have the 4th best team but I want to win 1st place money" Nope. You just got lucky with a couple of early season draft picks. I, on the other-hand, have been relentlessly building my team all year. Now, my team is far better than yours and you are afraid to play me in a winner take all head-to-head, man against man, death match!!!!

That my friend is the spirit of a playoff! That is the spirit of competition! Bring it on!

You are afraid!
[/QUOTE]The spirit of the play-off is alive and well for the grand prize. If you have done such a fantastic job of building your team you'll be in the top 10% of teams and make the chase for the big check.

mattjb

Playoff System Protest

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:24 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
If you like a 4 team playoff with 11 week regular season, play FFPC.

If you like a 2-3 team playoff with 13 week regular season, play NFFC.

If you like both.....play BOTH. :D everyone keeps saying if you want a playoff go play at the ffpc....what if i don't want to play there no matter what they have and this is really my only option? am i not allowd to voice my opinion on the subject without being told to go play elsewhere?

whats the sense of having a message boards if whenever someone wants to try something different they get told to play elsewhere?

there is not bend with you guys....it is either stay as pat or beat it. maybe i will have to look at other options next year
[/QUOTE]stop being such a drama queen. billy is giving his opinion as you are giving yours.

the owners of the competition are being completely open to new opinions as they have shown.

[ November 16, 2011, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: mattjb ]