Having input in draft slot selection

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:57 am

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
CURRENTLY, i could contact all the owners in my league and say i'll give each of them $25 if they won't bid on K.Collins this week. how do you address this? thanks. If I have 100% proof, then you are removed without refund. That's how I address it. It would be in the rules. [/QUOTE]Okay, there's a perception that I could do that involving K.Collins. Is that really going to change anyone's decision on joining the NFFC? I don't mean to be harsh with you. Let me try something my mom told me "be nice to people"...do you see any way to remove the perception of collusion? how about if they didn't post which league you were in...only what slot you were able to secure.

[ September 28, 2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

fcphantom

Post by fcphantom » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:00 am

All good points, but 3 owners, could easily make friends on these boards quickly and exchange a few e-mails and get the ball rolling.

Also, next year, it would be even easier as any 3 of the regulars here that wind up in the same league could talk about it.

Again, it's the perception that matters most to the game operator. [/QB]Ok, this is like say saying there should be no more college basketball because of the possibility that a team could throw a game.

Don't like that one? Here's another. NASCAR teammates have about the same ability to help each other as drafters. They can help steer each other around the curves and plan pre-race strategy, but they still have to have their own good car and avoid the big wreck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:04 am

Originally posted by Rob K:
Ok, this is like say saying there should be no more college basketball because of the possibility that a team could throw a game. good pt. i wish i thought of it. well done :D

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:07 am

Originally posted by skipman:
UFS,

Now I know why people have taken the time to rank you as a 1 star member. Yet more proof that the old cliché “we mock what we don’t understand” holds true.

Why do you think Greg and Tom would not allow the trading of draft slots? Why did we not pick numbers, then select which daft slot we preferred?

They obviously recognize the value of maintaining a high level of integrity for the NFFC. Ideas such as Gordo’s would certainly plant the seed in many people’s mind that collusion could exist.

John has been making a living for 20 years running leagues. He also recognizes the damage that such a perception could inflict.

Sure it would take a masterplan to pull it off, but I guarantee there are plenty of sharp people out there that would love to extract a high expected value of return from this thing.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:07 am

UFS,

Now I know why people have taken the time to rank you as a 1 star member. Many thanks to the 3 w/o a life that voted.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:09 am

UFS,

Now I know why people have taken the time to rank you as a 1 star member. Hey skip,

I though we long ago established that Odenton was a suburb of West Virginia and whomever reads posts to you and types your responses needs to get some help herself.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:18 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
CURRENTLY, i could contact all the owners in my league and say i'll give each of them $25 if they won't bid on K.Collins this week. how do you address this? thanks. If I have 100% proof, then you are removed without refund. That's how I address it. It would be in the rules. [/QUOTE]Okay, there's a perception that I could do that involving K.Collins. Is that really going to change anyone's decision on joining the NFFC? I don't mean to be harsh with you. Let me try something my mom told me "be nice to people"...do you see any way to remove the perception of collusion? how about if they didn't post which league you were in...only what slot you were able to secure.
[/QUOTE]GG, enjoying this little debate..

Actually these is no perception up front on that. You just made it up.

And if it did, that's 1% of the degree that a pre-draft incident would have. Like some have said, I doubt it would work, but its the chance of it working that would kill the event.

Only what slot??..... you might have the ticket there.

I have to give you credit. I get new ideas all the time presented to me. You have not done what 99% of others do. You kept looking for the solution instead taking it personally when given an opposing view. You have to weigh the pros and cons on any suggestion. A game operatot that's going to last can't have the thought of collusion.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:19 am

Simple, simple, solution.

The blind bids are made before players are randomly assigned to leagues.

No possibility of collusion.

Does increase the complexity of the implementation since the process possibly could not be automated. I suspect, however, that Stats could make an uberleague representing all entries for the purpose of taking the bids, then randomly split the uberleague into the final leagues.

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:22 am

Uberleague, brilliant.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:27 pm

The leagues can be formed randomly and input in STATS. Just don't annouce which league each owner is in before the blind bidding process takes place or have that info available on the STATS website. Basically an owner would log into the STATS website and be directed to a bidding screen where they would have the following menu.
Draft Slot #1 _____
Draft Slot #2 _____
Draft Slot #13 _____
Draft Slot #14 _____
Each owner would enter bids on whichever slots they value. After the bid deadline (since the leagues are already formed), it should be relatively easy to evaluate the bids.

[ September 28, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]