What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Wow, I didn't know that Jack. So the AFFL champion settled with the previous owners? Were any other past winners paid? Interesting here. I don't know who else, if anyone, they paid. [/QUOTE]Jack - Do you have any FREE advice for people owned big money from wcoff?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:55 pm

With the FFPC announcing their draft picks last night for 465 teams and with us showing over 365 Main Event teams between the two contests, that means that less than 850 teams are currently entered in the high-stakes space at this time. Compare that to over 1,700 teams that competed in the three live events last year and you can see that either this space is taking a very big hit by what has happened with non-payments of prizes or a lot of people are still waiting to see how this all shakes out.

I sure hope that our space doesn't lose all of these good customers. I don't think it will. I'm confident that the remaining contests will prove to be good new landing grounds for smart owners who want to play in proven, competitive contests with great prizes that pay in full and on time.

This will be a very interesting next three weeks for the HSFF space. There's no doubt that many owners from the other contest who have yet to be paid are holding out hope that something miraculous will happen. You can see by recent posts that some folks are holding onto that hope and already have plans to be in Las Vegas for live drafts. Still, there's no official word from management on anything to help those folks out. No payment plan for the winners. No official announcement of cancelling the event. Nothing since Friday's post about the potential sale falling through with no other sale imminent. Yet folks wait and hope.

While there is still a message board there and only talk of the lack of prize payments is visible on an area for members only, the site isn't taking new registrations nor should it. No web provider would allow it with payments still outstanding. It's time for management to provide concrete answers to the players and stop disseminating false hope through certain players. It's not good for anyone. And as you can see, the silence is hurting those players and the industry in general. Everyone seems tied to this debacle, yet an honest answer can at least set everyone free. The miscommunication of information from February through early August has been painful for all, but now it's time for one quick, truthful response. The players deserve at least that so that they can move on, even though it's obvious some don't want them to move on. It's time to do it.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:08 am

The honest transparency of player names by the NFFC and FFPC of who is playing in each event shows every name currently signed up for this year's high-stakes events. For those of you who have played in the other event before, you can easily see that a lot of very good players that you've competed against before aren't playing in either one. And we certainly know why, because hope prevails that something miraculous will happen. We all hope for that so that EVERY player gets paid in full.

But if that miracle is to happen and if a live event by new owners can be resurrected and performed in such a short time frame, then hope truly should be disseminated by someone soon. No word from management in 4+ months certainly doesn't look like hope to me. The admission that a sale fell through last Wednesday doesn't look like hope to me. Not a single word of how any prizes can be paid without new ownership doesn't look like hope to me. I'm as hopeful of this getting resolved as the next guy, but at some point reality also has to set in. Waiting for management to tell you what reality is might never happen, which is sad. But everything about this is sad.

Again, if you know past players who still aren't competing in this space yet, let them know about the available options. At this point I don't even care where they play or how often they play, I just want them to know about the next available options. Have them play in one or both contests. Have them at least know that on the first weekend of the NFL season in Las Vegas there will be opportunities to win even more money than they could before. There are first-rate facilities for all of your fantasy football needs in Las Vegas. Tell them the NFFC has East Coast and Chicago options as well. Everything is still in place to enjoy this upcoming fantasy football season and every season after that. We just have to get past this one terrible experience together.

Again, prove me wrong by paying everyone this week. If that doesn't happen, then it's time to move on. Current players can help that transition along by letting folks know about the other good options. This area of the space is still primed for growth, for greatness, for excellence. The landscape has just changed, that's all, and we know where the fault lands for that. Certainly not with the players. Don't leave HSFF everyone, the best is yet to come.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

fflmaster

Post by fflmaster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 am

Greg or Tom can you state how many teams must be registered for the nffc to break even?
its nice to be the master

Syracuse Slappers

Post by Syracuse Slappers » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:50 am

..." there is still a message board there and only talk of the lack of prize payments is visible on an area for members only, the site isn't taking new registrations nor should it. No web provider would allow it with payments still outstanding"

Therein lies the problem....they opened up satellite registrations yesterday...And people are signing up...

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:00 am

Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:

Therein lies the problem....they opened up satellite registrations yesterday...And people are signing up... That does seem to be a rather significant issue. Going forward with a contest when the previous year's winners haven't been paid opens up a rather large can of worms - and quite possibly litigation in some form - but if people are signing up for leagues that lends credence to the belief that people are unaware of the magnitude of the issue. How large that percentage of people is can only be guessed at but not providing full disclosure to all customers certainly is one way to keep any problems your event is having on the down low.

Of course, if there are people signing up for leagues knowing that past prize winners haven't been paid, that borders on astonishing to me. I can't conceive of a single legitimate reason why someone would do that. That isn't a risk-reward play. That's all risk.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:25 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
i have not said anything on this cause i did not play over there. my feeling is that if you know what happened last year and sign up for more then the old saying of : A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON SEPARATED ". if people do not know then i think they should whether by message boards or pm's anything to let them know. crap like this ruins the game. im not being funny but i would have someone shake the guy upside down once a week to get my money. you lose like a gentleman or get paid like a gentleman. i have only herd one podcast to bring up this problem and give this person much respect. the word should go out.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:37 am

Originally posted by fflmaster:
Greg or Tom can you state how many teams must be registered for the nffc to break even? We pay out over 78 percent in prizes for our Main Events if we sell out and higher if we don't, so obviously we need to sell at least 78 percent of available spots. That would be in the 250 range for both Main Events. Then of course there are event expenses and the rest involved in putting on these events that determine the profit and loss. The total expenses are certainly over six figures when all is said and done.

That being said, there's more to our bottom line than just the Main Events. We have sold out our Diamond League, 3 Super Leagues, and many other side events. We believe our Online Championship League will soar to new levels this year and provide additional revenue and profit. We still have a lot of work to do on the Main Events, but last year we had 308 teams in the Classic and 240 in the Primetime. Both went off with all prizes intact, even though we didn't reach our goals. This year, with an additional weekend of live events for the Primetime, we believe we can still sell out both Mains in addition to having sellouts in most of the side events.

I can understand why some folks are looking at our Main Event numbers and saying, "will they be alright?" But this is a unique year and as I've pointed out, there are still 850+ teams out there from last year uncommitted and many of them are our past customers, too. I think you'll see crazy numbers in the next two weeks, which will be good for all of the contests. As you know, the other contest hasn't told its customers what their plans are now that a sale is not imminent and no prizes have been paid in 8+ months, so those customers either need to keep waiting for a miracle or commit to a new contest in the next three weeks. That will play a big factor on what happens in the HSFF space going forward.

All I can say is that both Main Event prizes ARE FULLY GUARANTEED and we are good to go with the $100,000 grand prizes. We're not only going to break even in 2011 we are going to be profitable just like we have been during each of the last six NFFC seasons and the last seven NFBC seasons. We had a record NFBC season in March with a big rush of signups and I have no doubt that will happen again in the next 2-3 weeks. It's going to happen and you can see it by our numbers in the last two weeks.

And you can watch it happen because I'll update every new signup on the list. We just got two more Classics and two more Primetimes from Rob Silver while I was responding to you and I trust more of that is coming. It's been a late season to prepare this year because of the lockout and because of the other contest, but the remaining contests will be fine. Consumers still want first class games with first class live events, first class payment plans and guarantees that all prizes are secure. We are more than ready to deliver on all of those points this season.

Feel free to wait on the sidelines until you feel more secure before committing to either contest, but I guarantee you our final numbers will be fine and this NFFC season with two great Main Events and sellouts in most of our other side events will be our best season to date. You can see it unfolding that way.

Thanks for the question.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:42 am

Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:
..." there is still a message board there and only talk of the lack of prize payments is visible on an area for members only, the site isn't taking new registrations nor should it. No web provider would allow it with payments still outstanding"

Therein lies the problem....they opened up satellite registrations yesterday...And people are signing up... I do not believe that has happened, although I did see one post about that. The satellite league registration area has not been open since July 1st there for good reason and I do not believe their stat provider would allow that knowing all 2010 prizes have not been paid. The contest's management may want to start the satellite season, but it doesn't own the software and thus I don't believe they could do it on their own. And I just don't see the provider allowing it before knowing all 2010 customers have been paid. They are very, very reputable folks in the industry, powering another game in the space, and I just don't believe any money will be allowed to be taken without all 2010 players being paid first. That's strictly my opinion knowing everyone involved and I don't believe any satellite league for 2011 can generate revenue or be run at this time.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:50 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Syracuse Slappers:

Therein lies the problem....they opened up satellite registrations yesterday...And people are signing up... I do not believe that has happened, although I did see one post about that. The satellite league registration area has not been open since July 1st there for good reason and I do not believe their stat provider would allow that knowing all 2010 prizes have not been paid. The contest's management may want to start the satellite season, but it doesn't own the software and thus I don't believe they could do it on their own. And I just don't see the provider allowing it before knowing all 2010 customers have been paid. They are very, very reputable folks in the industry, powering another game in the space, and I just don't believe any money will be allowed to be taken without all 2010 players being paid first. That's strictly my opinion knowing everyone involved and I don't believe any satellite league for 2011 can generate revenue or be run at this time.
[/QUOTE]Their registration is open and people have signed up. Either those that have no clue what's going on or, if they do, complete idiots.

Perhaps they will be holding the drafts on Yahoo, appropriate given their current management. Either way, what are the chances people will see refunds when the drafts don't go off?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...