NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

kjduke

Re: NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Post by kjduke » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah Billy, and if we're going to make W/L record virtually meaningless (one spot of four playoff teams) for the Diamond lge ... we should just drop the illusion of H2H altogether.

I'd much rather see a Victory Point setup for those high value leagues. It's fair, it's more exciting to watch weekly matchups than straight H2H and, of course, it's tons more fun than pts only.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:09 pm

PM sent

Route C

Post by Route C » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:29 pm

I'd prefer Thurs players only for Wed FAAB but if that doesn't happen I want all Wed. drops to be available for the same week Friday FAAB. No reason to wait an entire week to bid on those players since they haven't been in anyones lineup. Can anyone think of a reason to hold those dropped players out for a week?

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:14 am

BillyWaz wrote:
kjduke wrote:I'd like to see a better and consistent playoff seeding setup for 2013.

Diamond Lge
1st - pts
2nd - record
3rd - pts
4th - pts

Classic/Prime
1st - record
2nd - pts
3rd - pts
4th - nothing
KJ,

I understand why nothing for 4th in Primetime, but why pts for 1st in Diamond, and record for for 1st in Primetime??? :?

I would think most contests would want to keep it consistent.
In the Diamond it doesn't matter who is 1st seed or 2nd seed. The H2H winner and the Total Points winner each win 10k and both make the playoffs. Unlike the PrimeTime, there's no 3 week playoff between those two teams to determine the "League Champion". The top-4 teams make the playoffs where there are no seedings because it's a three week Total Point sprint.

I think the NFFC intentionally varies the playoff setups in order to give people choices. For instance, the Ultimate playoffs is purely a H2H system and the top 2 teams get 1st round byes. Some people prefer that. Giving players different options for the playoffs isn't a bad idea. Everyone can to read the rules and pick the contest they feel most comfortable with.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:08 am

Route C wrote:I'd prefer Thurs players only for Wed FAAB but if that doesn't happen I want all Wed. drops to be available for the same week Friday FAAB. No reason to wait an entire week to bid on those players since they haven't been in anyones lineup. Can anyone think of a reason to hold those dropped players out for a week?
Jeff, adding in all dropped players from Wednesday into Friday's free agent pool would be a nightmare for owners. If you were in multiple leagues, you'd have to spend the full 48 hours doing nothing but scanning the free agent pool again. Plus, when we did Friday FAAB moves we didn't allow people to pick up dropped free agents before Sunday's games, so why would we do that now? It would completely change the dynamics of the game. This is NOT something we would add here.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route C

Post by Route C » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Route C wrote:I'd prefer Thurs players only for Wed FAAB but if that doesn't happen I want all Wed. drops to be available for the same week Friday FAAB. No reason to wait an entire week to bid on those players since they haven't been in anyones lineup. Can anyone think of a reason to hold those dropped players out for a week?
Jeff, adding in all dropped players from Wednesday into Friday's free agent pool would be a nightmare for owners. If you were in multiple leagues, you'd have to spend the full 48 hours doing nothing but scanning the free agent pool again. Plus, when we did Friday FAAB moves we didn't allow people to pick up dropped free agents before Sunday's games, so why would we do that now? It would completely change the dynamics of the game. This is NOT something we would add here.
I'm not sure what qualifies as "multiple teams". I own 5 managed teams and this wouldn't be a problem at all for me. What you just said doesn't make sense as I read it. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't owners now currently scan the waiver wire for Friday pickups? Would those owners rather have more to choose from or less?
Of course it would change the dynamics a little but if that is a good change for owners then why not?
I wonder if too much consideration is given to those that own 20+ teams here. Honestly every owners vote should be worth "1" no matter how many teams they have.
Again...I'm open to any explanation that makes sense. Is it a big IT problem?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 am

mattjb wrote:I have no huge opinion on the return TDs but would lean to adding them to avoid that rare occurrence where you can be beat by your own player.
So that we don't lose sight of all the pros and cons of this issue, here is last year's discussion: http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1079

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:04 am

Shrink Attack wrote: In the Diamond it doesn't matter who is 1st seed or 2nd seed. The H2H winner and the Total Points winner each win 10k and both make the playoffs. Unlike the PrimeTime, there's no 3 week playoff between those two teams to determine the "League Champion". The top-4 teams make the playoffs where there are no seedings because it's a three week Total Point sprint.

I think the NFFC intentionally varies the playoff setups in order to give people choices. For instance, the Ultimate playoffs is purely a H2H system and the top 2 teams get 1st round byes. Some people prefer that. Giving players different options for the playoffs isn't a bad idea. Everyone can to read the rules and pick the contest they feel most comfortable with.
I don't think those are choices Paul, they are just differences. The Diamond players are in that league because it is the Diamond, not because of the playoff set-up. The prime or classic players are in the main event ... etc ... not because of the playoff setup.

Route C

Post by Route C » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm

:o
Last edited by Route C on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Route C

Post by Route C » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Route C wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
I'm not sure what qualifies as "multiple teams". I own 5 managed teams and this wouldn't be a problem at all for me. What you just said doesn't make sense as I read it. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't owners now currently scan the waiver wire for Friday pickups? Would those owners rather have more to choose from or less?
Of course it would change the dynamics a little but if that is a good change for owners then why not?
I wonder if too much consideration is given to those that own 20+ teams here. Honestly every owners vote should be worth "1" no matter how many teams they have.
Again...I'm open to any explanation that makes sense. Is it a big IT problem?
Still curious.