OLC PLAYOFF TEAMS.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Re: OLC PLAYOFF TEAMS.

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 pm

I agree with what Cali said about the league prizes. I swear NFFC always split the money three ways for H2H/Total Points/14-16 playoff between the two but I could be wrong. This year at $500/$500/$1100 its not even close to a split, you don't even double your money for coming in second. Its GREAT if its your year but if you lose some close match ups in 14-16 I don't feel you're properly rewarded for the season you had. Especially this year when some owners who won total points have to play the head to head leader who was say 8th in points who then gets hot and barely outscores him in the playoffs

Just my opinion but if you pull money away from that 1st/2nd place payouts to pay third place you'll lose business. It seems the fantasy world has morphed into: What is the grand prize? What is the league prize? Everyone must think they are just going to roll their league for the 1st place prize then the same for the grand prize. Again, just my opinion, but that's not what they should be looking at because the odds are stacked against them. Things like NFFC's Classic league is what they should be looking at: Money back at 3rd place with a huge ROI for 1st, EXTREMELY realistic chance to win the grand prize (the guy who won last year in week 16 had Tony Romo get hurt on the second play and he got a 0, you aren't winning jack in the other contests with a 0 from your QB because so many people are in them). But I wish Greg would have done his original idea where he filled the OLC up and then started a second one to keep winning the overall prize realistic but that's not what people want, they just want the huge carrot that 99.9% of them aren't going to win without a very lucky run (myself included).

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Sandman,

Your argument with the diamond league doesn't hold any weight with me as I don't play in it. Even if I did I didn't make the rules. If I did they would be different. The teams wouldn't reset to their scoring average. There is no need to reset in a single league. If a team outscores everyone by 200 points he shouldn't have to reset anything, just win. Especially if you're paying $10,000 for a league the best teams should win the money. I wouldn't give 4th place a chance at anything. The only reason anything resets is so more teams have a chance otherwise it would be down to only a few teams the last weeks. But hey, I'm the one who would pay the total points leader at least $10,000 for the regular season (talking Classic, Prime, OLC) but that's much more of an accomplishment than who can get hot for 3 weeks to me... I always like to see the best teams win the money, it does not happen in plenty of fantasy football leagues around the country every year, I'm just for any rules that try to at least make sure the best teams win the money and one thing I have no doubt about is having a 4th place team having a shot at prize money is the opposite of that as Greg's numbers proved yesterday about 4th place teams on average being 125+ points behind. Again, I don't see how anyone could want that to win money or have a chance at money other than they want more ways to luck into money. Now if you happen to be in a league where 4th place is a legit team (like a Classic league I'm in) you can always have a rule in place for those rare teams... which they already do here with the wild card rule. If it ended today, Classic Online Aug. 30 7 pm ET League would send 4 teams to the Championship Round as all 4 of us are in the top 34, nothing wrong with that, they all earned a shot at the grand prize

I wasn't referring to the NFFC when I said one and done, was talking more about the FFPC. But after thinking about it, if 4 teams play in weeks 14-16 for the money like you want and you score 100 the first week, you are almost sure to be done. As someone who's played a lot of match ups vs 1 opponent in the weeks 14-16 at the NFFC and scored 100 the first week many times, I can say you're 99% done.

This is all just my opinion, please don't take any offense just because you want the 4th place team to have a shot at money and I do not. Just stating my opinion.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:56 pm

I have given more thought to this. The reason you play in the OL C-Ship is NOT to win your league....it is to win the GRAND PRIZE! Allowing 4 teams in would hurt this game. Now a higher stakes league......I can see, but you are investing $350, does getting back say $200 (while taking that from 1st or 2nd place) make your season better? Getting a shot at the grand prize should be for the ELITE of each league, and letting in only the H2H and points winner (along with the top 15% who got a bad league draw) is fair. If your team was THAT good, then you were in the top 15%.....if you weren't......THEN YOU DON'T DESERVE A SHOT AT THE 100K. And again. I'm not interested in taking away from the 1st and 2nd league prizes for "charity" for a 3rd place team.

Jared hit it on the head when he said we all are chasing that one "big carrot" which only ONE of us can win.

If you take all the teams in the championship round before week 14, and have them all get ONE guess as to who will win the 100K, I would venture to say that NO ONE could do it. That is after analyzing matchups, etc. It all comes down to who gets hot at the right time (Drew Bennett, Aaron Stecker, etc.) and it is VERY tough to predict who that team/player will be.

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! :D

This contest had almost 1900 entries this year, it can EASILY hit 2500 if marketed correctly next year, so I don't believe people are discouraged with the payouts. ;)

particra

Post by particra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I'd rather have 1 team make the Championship Round than 4. I hate the idea.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 pm

I'll reiterate what I suggested. Leave the overall as is. Two teams from each league is plenty. Don't water down the overall with good teams. If you're not in the top two in your league, you DON'T play for the 100K. But, I could see adding one more team to individual league playoffs. I really don't think that would piss anybody off. Hell, it might even attract more OC players knowing they have a little better chance to $$$$ their entry fee for that league.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:09 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:I'll reiterate what I suggested. Leave the overall as is. Two teams from each league is plenty. Don't water down the overall with good teams. If you're not in the top two in your league, you DON'T play for the 100K. But, I could see adding one more team to individual league playoffs. I really don't think that would piss anybody off. Hell, it might even attract more OC players knowing they have a little better chance to $$$$ their entry fee for that league.
It would piss me off. It's hard to win money in the overall, less than 10% of Playoff teams get anything in the Overall and only 10 get more than what the current 1st place League Prize is. You have to win money after Week 13 in this format, you can't throw it up in the air for the last 3 weeks or you'll see a bunch of the H2H and Points winners going home with very little a lot of the time.

League Playoffs are for single leagues -- this is an National competition, you aren't playing to win your league, you are playing to win the whole thing; league prizes are the fall back for the Playoff teams that can't bring it home Week 14-16, you should not take away the small profits you get from those and allow the 3rd and 4th place teams to get it.

You might attract more newcomers who are hoping to finish 4th to break even, but you'd lose a lot of veteran players - if I make the playoffs as the top team in the league, I sure as hell want that $1600 right then, I don't want to then have to win all the way through to Week 16 just to hold onto that, and still only have a 1/10 shot at any Overall money.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:I'll reiterate what I suggested. Leave the overall as is. Two teams from each league is plenty. Don't water down the overall with good teams. If you're not in the top two in your league, you DON'T play for the 100K. But, I could see adding one more team to individual league playoffs. I really don't think that would piss anybody off. Hell, it might even attract more OC players knowing they have a little better chance to $$$$ their entry fee for that league.
It would piss me off. It's hard to win money in the overall, less than 10% of Playoff teams get anything in the Overall and only 10 get more than what the current 1st place League Prize is. You have to win money after Week 13 in this format, you can't throw it up in the air for the last 3 weeks or you'll see a bunch of the H2H and Points winners going home with very little a lot of the time.

League Playoffs are for single leagues -- this is an National competition, you aren't playing to win your league, you are playing to win the whole thing; league prizes are the fall back for the Playoff teams that can't bring it home Week 14-16, you should not take away the small profits you get from those and allow the 3rd and 4th place teams to get it.

You might attract more newcomers who are hoping to finish 4th to break even, but you'd lose a lot of veteran players - if I make the playoffs as the top team in the league, I sure as hell want that $1600 right then, I don't want to then have to win all the way through to Week 16 just to hold onto that, and still only have a 1/10 shot at any Overall money.
Cali, basically I'm saying leave everything as is, just add the one more team for the individual league competition. IMO, the best teams in the leagues are the points leaders. The H2H is an added feature that is going to be here. If you believe that, then there's a chance that the second best team in a league may not make it to the overall. I'm OK with that, but at least give him a chance to win something for his effort in the league championship.

BTW, I'm playing to win my league, anything else is gravy. :)
Bill Cleavenger

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Dude, I understand what you are saying (btw, you are suggesting adding 2 teams to the League Playoff in OL, not one), and I know I'm not alone in saying that I do not want any more teams to have a shot at the money that is currently awarded after Week 13 (or the extended 2-team playoff). The 3rd and 4th place finishers had 13 weeks to get to the top, your team just wasn't good enough, sorry but contrary to current society's views, not everyone can be a winner.

I was mad when I learned that 3 teams made the Playoffs in Primetime, had been playing for a few weeks under the assumption that it was the same format as Online and only 2 made it. To a certain extent, I feel the less teams alive after week 13, the better.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:16 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:Dude, I understand what you are saying (btw, you are suggesting adding 2 teams to the League Playoff in OL, not one), and I know I'm not alone in saying that I do not want any more teams to have a shot at the money that is currently awarded after Week 13 (or the extended 2-team playoff). The 3rd and 4th place finishers had 13 weeks to get to the top, your team just wasn't good enough, sorry but contrary to current society's views, not everyone can be a winner.

I was mad when I learned that 3 teams made the Playoffs in Primetime, had been playing for a few weeks under the assumption that it was the same format as Online and only 2 made it. To a certain extent, I feel the less teams alive after week 13, the better.
Dude, I feel your pain, but I'm not suggesting or have I suggested adding two teams to the league championships. I'm simply SUGGESTING add a third team to each individual league championship.

1) H2H champ
2) most points (other than H2H champ)
3) 2nd most points (other than H2H champ)

I don't think it's unfair to allow the top 25% vie for the league championship. Last time I looked, the NFL allows 37.5 % of the teams vie for the SB. That may be a bad comparison, but it is fact. I'm not at all wanting more teams in the overall, just suggesting a change to reward good teams that get left out of the overall.
Bill Cleavenger

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 am

I have always been a fan of best teams get the money. By best teams I consider that points. You have to have a good draft, good FAAB though out the season, and most important make the correct lineup decision every week or you dont finish on top. I dont have a problem with how it is at all now but understand why some long for a playoff format of some kind. My OC this year by week 3 I knew something had to happen quick or I was toast. Yea I was toast. No big deal but I try to win every week and have won 5 weeks in a row and if I win 6 will end up with the second best H to H, tied with 3 other but have the H to H tiebreaker. For 2 months I knew I could not cash but put in the work, like we all should always but that is another thread, and I think the players wanting some kind of playoff format are in a similar boat. As stated by others and I fully agree the top teams should get the cash. But just thinking about this thread and the price point and the scramble for the big payout and how do you keep more players involved, maybe just send the top two points teams to the big money round and everyone above the 15% and have the head to head separate. The top two scoring teams play head to head also over weeks 14-16 for the top money. 650/650/450.
Have the H to H separate and have the top 4 do a 4 week playoff 14-17 with a two week total per round. The top 2 points teams will most likely be in H to H playoffs more often than not I would assume. $350 for winning that or a free entry the next year. Maybe give the 2nd and 3rd place finisher some swag like a t shirt, which you should sell by the way, I could use an NFFC coffee mug too(glad to purchase), and you can have 4 or 5 teams competitive till the end. I know we have the consolation round but do the teams that put in minimal effort after week 8 or 9 try harder then or are they just done? Like I said I am fine with how it is and firmly believe the teams that score the most points should get the cash. Thanks and good luck to all this last week of the regular season.