$996

got heeem

Re: $996

Post by got heeem » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 pm

sorry if I offended any dopeheads who were stoned and bid $990 + .

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:33 pm

I cannot believe this is a 6 page thread argument, though I agree that having a long winded discussion on the boards is awesome! No one is worth $996 or even $900. Especially not a.guy facing at least a partial suspension. Leaves you no room for replacements or other injuries. Unless you already have a perfect team, you are going to need to fill holes elsewhere, and with that little left after week 1, it will be hard to recover. And how much better will Josh Gordon be than your current #3 WR? Everyone seems to have 4+ solid WRs anyways, especially in the primetime. Just my opinion. FWIW.

TheReckoner

Post by TheReckoner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Man did I start a hot thread.. Thanks for the input everyone. To me and my team I felt like it was appropriate to jump all in. I wasn't one of those who targeted 4 receivers quickly at the top of the draft. IF Gordon plays my WR3 becomes much stronger... I mean come on who wants to roll with Riley cooper starting every week. Personally I think my RB are the best in this league and this catches me up on receivers. It was about need for this particular team. ... Gotta say I never thought I'd be so interested in a nfl/nflpa agreement lol.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't care who you are - I don't care if you are in the NFFC Hall Of Fame - I don't care if you own and manage 74 teams - I don't care if you do this for a living - I don't care if you write your own magazine on Fantasy Football - or have your own podcast - I don't care if Mathew Berry himself uses you as a source when he needs an opinion on a player move - I don't care - In my most humble opinion spending that kind of money - (920+) on a guy that
A - May not be reinstated -
B- If he is may still have to serve some time for a new DUI -
C- Must be in poor playing shape - (He's selling cars at the moment) - \

is just plain dumb.... Sorry -

Leaving yourself after week one with zero WW money is dangerous - Imagine you are an Arian Foster owner, and he goes down - and then Grimes follows - "You're My Boy" Blue gets the nod.... and you have 6 bucks left in the kitty.....

The above scenario can happen to any of your key positions....

Nope - Sorry

Wiljiro
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 pm

wiljiro wrote:I don't care who you are - I don't care if you are in the NFFC Hall Of Fame - I don't care if you own and manage 74 teams - I don't care if you do this for a living - I don't care if you write your own magazine on Fantasy Football - or have your own podcast - I don't care if Mathew Berry himself uses you as a source when he needs an opinion on a player move - I don't care - In my most humble opinion spending that kind of money - (920+) on a guy that
A - May not be reinstated -
B- If he is may still have to serve some time for a new DUI -
C- Must be in poor playing shape - (He's selling cars at the moment) - \

is just plain dumb.... Sorry -

Leaving yourself after week one with zero WW money is dangerous - Imagine you are an Arian Foster owner, and he goes down - and then Grimes follows - "You're My Boy" Blue gets the nod.... and you have 6 bucks left in the kitty.....

The above scenario can happen to any of your key positions....

Nope - Sorry

Wiljiro
Can't disagree more. Odds are more likely than not the Foster owner has a more suitable 3rd running back than Grimes in that situation and the options aren't Grimes or death. A good player is unlikely to put themselves in that situation barring a terribly unlucky rash of injuries. Additionally, securing both Blue and Grimes as handcuffs would be a fairly easy thing for the Foster owner to do in advance if the Foster owner didn't have an acceptable 3rd running back.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:44 pm

JETS SB wrote:I cannot believe this is a 6 page thread argument, though I agree that having a long winded discussion on the boards is awesome! No one is worth $996 or even $900. Especially not a.guy facing at least a partial suspension. Leaves you no room for replacements or other injuries. Unless you already have a perfect team, you are going to need to fill holes elsewhere, and with that little left after week 1, it will be hard to recover. And how much better will Josh Gordon be than your current #3 WR? Everyone seems to have 4+ solid WRs anyways, especially in the primetime. Just my opinion. FWIW.
Spending $900 on a free agent simply doesn't take you out of the free agent process. I was in leagues last year where Keenan Allen, Andre Ellington, Zac Stacy all went for far less than $100 before they broke out. You could pick up serviceable guys like Streater or Patterson last year down the stretch for a couple bucks.

I don't know whether or not Gordon will contribute anything this year. I'm not convinced he does play a significant chunk of the season. But I also don't know that the teams who spent big on him are going to get nothing out of free agency this year.

CaptainCrunch

Post by CaptainCrunch » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 pm

lmao ... if Gordon had actually been reinstated prior to faab, I'd have bid the whole $1000 without batting an eye ... and hoped that no one else had.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 pm

My opinion--- it's totally foolish to spend this much on a player this early. Let's check back here when we get to week 9, and see who was proven right. Those who thought blowing all of the FA $$ was a good idea, and those who did not. Time will tell.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Paying over $900 for Gordon is not a "I'm playing to finish 5th" type of move. So for anyone that wouldn't do it, I get that you don't want to risk finishing last. It can happen. It's a shot at a player who's an absolute game changer. I bet there is nobody on the free agency wire this year with his upside. I'm just not afraid to finish last. If it happens it happens. No big deal. But I'll take that risk everytime.

Wayne

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Old School wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: Glenn,

i did a main with you and Gordon was taken in the 11th round.......
Are u referring to rounds 8-9 target in NFFC drafts only?
I know the disaster of a draft you're referring to Joe and at the time the news that the union was going to try and overturn the suspension as part of a new drug policy was pretty much just hours old. I was still trying to gauge what was a good spot to grab Gordon at most value and least risk and guessed wrong. I happened to be in another online draft that was drafting simultaneously but was several rounds ahead of ours due to the technical issues we were facing. He went even later there and I used where he went in that draft as a baseline on where to grab him in our draft and probably shouldn't have.

From that point on, I used the 9th round as where I'd try to grab him and was still only able to get him in 2 of the remaining 5 drafts I took part in. The hype was on and he was flying up the boards. Thus the 8th round reach in the Platinum, my last and most important draft of the year.