What Are Your Thoughts On Bidding For Draft Slots?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Originally posted by Gantze Machers:
I wouldn't be as interested in the NFFC if I had to sacrifice my FAAB funds to secure a high draft slot. spoken like a person who was lucky enough to have LT randomly dropped in their lap this year
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:48 pm

Originally posted by Z-Men:
Here's why I think mostly everyone should be in favor of bidding for slots. ...

If you are a person who thinks that draft slots ARE important then you should vote to bid on the slots for the obvious reason -- this way it's not an unfair situation where people get good slots based on luck of the draw.

If you are a person who thinks that draft slots ARE NOT that important and that any slot is fair and square then you should still vote to bid on slots. This way you can sit back, let others spend their free agent dollars on the slots, and you end up with whatever slots are left over preserving all your money.

Win-Win, no?

-z- B-I-N-G-O

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:52 pm

Originally posted by Nag':

Option A: No slot bidding = do nothing

Option B: Slot bidding = decide the order of importance between 12 draft positions, determine how important a certain draft position(s) in to you, determine what other owners may deem better/worse draft positions & which ones they may go after, determine how much to bid on each draft position without overpaying too much and making sure you have enough bidding bucks to make it through the season.

I might be crazy, but to me it looks like option B is more complicated that Option A.
Option A: No WEEKLY free agent bidding = do nothing

Option B: WEEKLY free agent bidding = decide the order of importance of all FA available, in terms of your team, oher teams (blocking), etc..., determine what other owners may deem better/worse FA & which ones they may go after, determine how much to bid on each FA without overpaying too much and making sure you have enough bidding bucks to make it through the season.

I might be crazy, but to me it looks like option B is more complicated that Option A. let's do away with WEEKLY FA pickups.

see how it works, mr None and Done (nag)

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:03 am

Good to know that anyone disagreeing with Gordon's OPINION will be attacked, told how sorry he feels for them, and in general made to feel that his opinion is the only one that matters. How do you make it through the day knowing how superior you are to the rest of the world Gordo?
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:19 am

Originally posted by 4D:
Good to know that anyone disagreeing with Gordon's OPINION will be attacked, told how sorry he feels for them, and in general made to feel that his opinion is the only one that matters. not true. if someone disagrees and has a vaild pt, i compliment them. just doesn't happen that often

Originally posted by 4D:
How do you make it through the day knowing how superior you are to the rest of the world Gordo? those are your words. thanks for the acknowledgement.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:08 am

I like knowing that this event starts out completely random with everybody on the same page. If bidding is allowed for draft slots and someone figures out a strategy that I missed, I would feel like I was at a disadvantage from the start. The event will remain completely random. It will be random right up until skill starts to kick in. Under this proposal the "skill" factor will start right after they cash your check instead of after the week 1 NFL games.

It is a "control" issue. I feel that most of us are control freaks who think we are better than the rest. I think that most of us would like to "control" as much of our destiny as possible and that this proposal could be a step in that direction.

"a draft startegy I missed" - That phrase leads me to believe that you are not confident in your abilities and this is kind of weird because you are leading the overall standings? So you are saying that Greg and Tom should keep it as simple as possible to cater to the folks who are not as capable? I think the opposite. I think they should target the folks who want to play with the best and in the format that best meets the needs of and enhances the experience for that target group.

I think that their discussing this item is a step in the right direction and shows that they have "our" best interests in hand.

Gekko Note: Not a big fan and I think he is at times, a little b_tch. Having said that, this is a pretty good idea. I must also say that he is not really attacking those who post ideas that do not conform to his thoughts, he is merely trying to protect and answer those questions in the only way he knows how. If you know the source, at times you have to read between the lines and filter the banter. Not easy to do but sometimes worth the effort.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:17 am

ok all. i'm off to penn state. can someone put my bids in for me?

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:27 am

I will help you in any way I can Gordon, you can get my phone number off of my self-serving website. Give me a call and I will take care of you.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:29 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
quote:Originally posted by Gantze Machers:
I wouldn't be as interested in the NFFC if I had to sacrifice my FAAB funds to secure a high draft slot. spoken like a person who was lucky enough to have LT randomly dropped in their lap this year [/QUOTE]Quoted Like a person who want's to NOW state how lucky OTHERS are.

We know your still good GG, I mean HALF of good but...

GG, Z I know how much you like the idea. What a suprise GG, it was your idea.

The bottom line is luck IS a part of FF. Like getting the first slot.
OR
Like having Joe Horn make it to you at 3.11
OR
like drafting Westbrook from the 12 spot...

Or

Like having guys injured(unlucky).

Should I go on?

Nice idea. Not as great as you would like to think.

Just because random works for/against.

If you play FF, you need to accept both good and bad luck......

3'

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:41 am

Originally posted by 4D:
Good to know that anyone disagreeing with Gordon's OPINION will be attacked, told how sorry he feels for them, and in general made to feel that his opinion is the only one that matters. How do you make it through the day knowing how superior you are to the rest of the world Gordo? Greg
This is why you need to conduct a simple private poll to find out what your market truely wants.

Although this banter is alot of fun for us, I'm not sure it's all that helpful to you.
:D