WR vs RB in Flex

DIESEL02

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by DIESEL02 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:54 am

Which came first the rb or the wr ? I appreciate all this banter gentlemen...there are so many factors..as far as what player each owner starts weekly..what bye weekshis players are on...whose team is the owner playing...I say thank you for tonites game and let's play out the season and see who's theory pans out....I'm just wondering how many division winners will be the highest scoring teams...will it be more than 10 outta of the 21...I think the key is good management and solid drafting...I'll take solid staters regardless of position and any productive free agent pickups....let's get started in here !!!
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"

ryanash

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by ryanash » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:46 pm

Midas Mike,

I am one of the people that had the mindset that running backs are paramount. After reading the posts, I have to admit that I have come to believe in your theory that wide recievers are the most important. In fact, I actually feel ashamed because I am good with numbers and statistics. I ended up chosing three running backs with my first three picks and am now sick. I have good running backs, but I was left with Steve Smith, Jerry Porter, Kevin Johnson, Andre Davis, and Darius Watts(I still think he will start over Ashley Lelie by the middle of the season) for my wide receivers. Oh well, maybe I will get lucky and Johnson and Davis will have breakout years(not likely).

[ September 09, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: dorkknocker ]

ruslerue

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by ruslerue » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:05 pm

more importantly...how'd u get steve smith in thr 4th round, its like you got a 3rd round wr anyway

ryanash

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by ryanash » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:20 pm

Originally posted by ruslerue:
more importantly...how'd u get steve smith in thr 4th round, its like you got a 3rd round wr anyway Good point Ruslerue. However, my team could have been much better if I wouldn't have taken the third running back. I could have had Eric Moulds, Steve Smith, and Jerry Porter as my starting three WR's. Instead, I have Fred Taylor, Rudi Johnson, and Michael Bennett(I also got Onterrio Smith for insurance) and Steve Smith, Jerry Porter, and Kevin Johnson/Andre Davis as my starting WR's. I put too much emphasis on Bennett's preseason stats(11 carries for 91 yards in his final game).

Dyv

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Dyv » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:41 pm

Uh, Mikey... 'debating' with you is like debating with my 8 yr. old daughter. You're right and you're seeking any straw-grasping exercise to prove that instead of examining things and coming up with a conclusion.

Fact is, I have Curtis Martin rated in the 70's on my overall value list... with 34 WR rated above him. If you want to quote Curtis Martin vs. Peter Warrick go ahead. You're creating your own argument and then proving it to yourself without addressing realistic points on both sides. i.e. 'you are stacking the deck'

The funny thing is that you're so eager to type I can see the spittle coming out of your mouth and hitting your keyboard as you convince yourself you are 'proving things'

The point I made was that top RB are better than top WR. So, you prove that mediocre WR are better than mediocre RB? Very nice, but hardly relevant to anything I said.

And, yes, my 8 yr. old daughter knows that points above 20 is not a negative but it is indicative of variance. That is a tricky big word for 'consistency' and proves that 'inconsistent' is scoring huge games and flat games vs. solid production week in and week out.

Steve Smith may score more points than Domanick Davis, but I take Davis every time.

Dyv
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

Dyv

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by Dyv » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:43 pm

Help me analyze my flaws with a real life example, Midas Mike.

I picked 7th in Draftmasters, my first 3 picks were Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook and Duce Staley.

No WR went before Portis in the first round.
Available at my 2nd pick instead of Westbrook would be Hines Ward, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason and Steve Smith. I took Westbrook.

Available when I took Duce Staley? Joe Horn, Santana Moss, Darrell Jackson and Charles Rogers.

Are you proposing I should have taken one of those following WR than the RB I chose?

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

MidasMike

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MidasMike » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:39 pm

r u shitting me ....your telling me knowing steve smith would score more points than d.davis ....you would take davis???????THINGS THAT MAKE YOU GO ....HUUUMMMMMMMM(iwish this guy was in my league ...or is he)whatever guy thanks for your 1400 dollar donation.....see ya next year...sucka

MidasMike

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MidasMike » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:40 pm

you should have brought your daughter to the draft...for some tips in basic math!!!!!!!!!!!!

JerseyPaul

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by JerseyPaul » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:44 pm

Sorry Midas, here you're wrong. DM is a very, very different animal and 3 RBs in the 1st 4 rounds is a must.

MGB MARTY

WR vs RB in Flex

Post by MGB MARTY » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:38 pm

NY League 4
Drafted 3 rbs with 1st 3 picks James Westbrook Staley with intention of grabbing 3 teams #1 rbs that had different bye weeks Barring injuies and depending on how you project how a player is going to do RB in flex by taking 3 rbs is the way to go To me Staley should be good for 1500 combined yards with 7-9 tds rather have him in flex than a 4th receiver who should be good for 3-4 receptions 35 yds per week which by the way could very well be the numbers for your #3 receiver as well Comes down to what value in everyones draft is available Do not think I sacraficed wr position for the 3 rbs My wrs are Moulds McCarins Burleson Ferguson A Davis B Stokely who I took in last round and scored last night 13.7 of course I did not play him point is you can find more possible breakout wrs later in draft to fill bye week flex positions and your #3 wr slot Give me a rb who is gonna have 18-22 touches plus 4-5 pass receptions which would be the same amount of pass receptions your wr would have in flex wr in slot 4-40yds 8 pts or Starting RB like Staley 4-30yds 5 pts plus his rushing Numbers By the way also have Winslow