So how did everyone do?

lichtman

So how did everyone do?

Post by lichtman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:11 pm

KoQ == The problem with having two or three sollid WRs emerge from that group is that you'll likely want to start four receivers each week. Last year there were only 15 WRs who had 70/900 so getting three of your guys to do it this year is a little hopeful, given that the 15 from last year is less than 10 when you exclude the elite receivers (Holt, Moss, Harrison, C. Johnson, Boldin, D. Mason), and especially because not a single receiver you mentioned did it last year.

Nnoy -- A little bit of math:

Lets give Curtis Martin the same stats as last year, but 5 TDs instead of 1 . That's 204 points (including his two fumbles lost). Receivers you probably could have picked in that spot include Hines Ward (271 points last year), Derrick Mason (273 points) and Steve Smith (240 points).

A guy like Reggie Wayne (picked in the 6th round in my draft) had 193.8 points last year -- and it was just a solid (not spectacular) year for a WR.

So even if you play Curtis Martin every week in the flex spot, you picked him in the 3rd round, but could have received similar production from a lesser WR a few rounds later. AND, you would still need to fill 3 WR slots after the third round.

So in my mind, your pick of Martin only makes sense if he a)dramatically outperforms last year's numbers (more than ths 5TDs I gave him) or, b) one of your top 2 RBs gets hurt.

Even as a big Jet fan, I doubt #1 and think the third round is too early for an insurance pick.

Any 1 point per reception league evens out the WR/RB balance (other than for the elite few RBs) and in a league where RBs get 0.5 points per catch, the balance swings the other way.

Everyone is so used to the stud RB theory of drafting -- I just don't see how it works in this league. Those who picked RB/RB/RB will be scrambling to find players to fill their 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th WR spots.

Finally Curtis Martin averaged less than 12 points per week last year (and averaged less than 10 in the first 13 weeks), so saying his worst case scenario is 12-12.5 isn't reasonable.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

seeferman

So how did everyone do?

Post by seeferman » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:21 pm

Let's save the talk for the end of they year. As of right now you are just blowing hot air to try and cool off. Yet, that in itself makes absolutely no sense.

BLACKHAND

So how did everyone do?

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:32 pm

LET'S BE NICE. YOU GUYS IN CHICAGO WILL BE ICE FISHING IN THE NEXT MONTH. I KNOW YOU WONT BE WATCHING THE CUBS , WHITE SOX , BEARS , BULLS , BLACKHAWKS....MAYBE SOME WNBA.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Nag'

So how did everyone do?

Post by Nag' » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:38 pm

Ico...I think we're wasting our time debating this issue. Everyone's strategy seems like a winner right now, but a couple of Sundays from now the cream will slowly start to rise to the top. Let's see what happens, but I would be very interested in which draft strategies result in more playoff teams. My experience in the last 2 WCOFFs tells me the RB/RB/RB draft was a mistake but what do I know. :rolleyes:

jdobies64...I saw your draftboard and I noticed your team right away. Nice team, dude! I'd have to put the blame on your leaguemates for letting Andre AND Peerless fall to you, but your job was to draft the best team you could and you certainly did. As long as Faulk is healthy you should be among the top teams in the overall NFFC standings.
For Players. By Players.

hankstr56

So how did everyone do?

Post by hankstr56 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:38 pm

But wait MidasMike, I will see your quartet of receivers in NYC #1 and raise you Torry Holt, Terrel Owens, Deion Branch, and Nate Burleson. I'm also NYC league #1. Of course, I'm counting on the very small fine print rule of 2.5 points per inappopriate comment (Owens will excel). I thought the competition was fierce in this league. There were a couple of reaches but every team has promise.

BLACKHAND

So how did everyone do?

Post by BLACKHAND » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:47 pm

I THINK LEAGUE #1 IS VERY WELL BALANCED WITH ALOT OF VERY GOOD DRAFTERS. SEEMS LIKE WE ALL LIKE TO TALK A BIT OF SMACK WHICH MAKES IT FUN. LETS ROCK.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

BillyWaz

So how did everyone do?

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:51 pm

Picking out of the #14 hole in NYC League #6, I got a few nice surprises, and feel my team should be competitive;

1) Fred Taylor (surprise #1)
2) Brian Westbrook
3) Joe Horn (surprise #2)
4) Koren Robinson
5) Aaron Brooks
6) DeShaun Foster

I'm backing up Brooks with Palmer, have Onterrio Smith & Anquan Boldin, and got a nice steal of Antonio Gates in the 11th round. I could use a solid 3rd WR (have Roy Williams and need him to bust out), and if I get production from WR #3, I will do some damage.

All in all, I was pleased considering the draft position I had.

One final note, if I would have been in the league where Chad Johnson went at 3.11 and Derrick Mason went in the 4th round, I have a feeling I could have had my dog draft and be competitive! Utterly ridiculous for someone to say that was one of the toughest leagues.

BillyWaz

So how did everyone do?

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:53 pm

Picking out of the #14 hole in NYC League #6, I got a few nice surprises, and feel my team should be competitive;

1) Fred Taylor (surprise #1)
2) Brian Westbrook
3) Joe Horn (surprise #2)
4) Koren Robinson
5) Aaron Brooks
6) DeShaun Foster

I'm backing up Brooks with Palmer, have Onterrio Smith & Anquan Boldin, and got a nice steal of Antonio Gates in the 11th round. I could use a solid 3rd WR (have Roy Williams and need him to bust out), and if I get production from WR #3, I will do some damage.

All in all, I was pleased considering the draft position I had.

One final note, if I would have been in the league where Chad Johnson went at 3.11 and Derrick Mason went in the 4th round, I have a feeling I could have had my dog draft and be competitive! Utterly ridiculous for someone to say that was one of the toughest leagues.