Playoff System Protest

renman

Playoff System Protest

Post by renman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:28 am

Originally posted by Blue_Foot:
quote:Originally posted by Renman:
Blue_foot,

If I had the best team all year I ABSOLUTELY would be "afraid" of playing a lesser team that finished 4th in a border line coin flip game to determine the winner of the league and ultimately erasing any value accumulated throughout the season of success my first place team displayed. In a six-team playoff format, you would have a bye the first round anyway. I would have to earn the right to play you. Also, in a simultaneous chase and playoff, you would be in the chase and I would not, regardless of our game's outcome. Finally, I guess the NFL should eliminate the playoff system to ensure that the best early season teams win the title....right? Of course not! Buck up Renman! Lets have a playoff!
[/QUOTE]Blue_foot,

You can make your points (some of which are valid) without the "buck up" challenges as if any of us don't have the guts to compete. I would argue that the weaker or more timid player is the one who argues to loosen the requirements to make the post season and the higher level competitive player is arguing for the cream of the crop to be an exclusive club.

Are you asking for half the league to make the playoffs? This "six team playoff format" is something you would want in the 12 team leagues?

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:33 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
If you like a 4 team playoff with 11 week regular season, play FFPC.

If you like a 2-3 team playoff with 13 week regular season, play NFFC.

If you like both.....play BOTH. :D everyone keeps saying if you want a playoff go play at the ffpc....what if i don't want to play there no matter what they have and this is really my only option? am i not allowd to voice my opinion on the subject without being told to go play elsewhere?

whats the sense of having a message boards if whenever someone wants to try something different they get told to play elsewhere?

there is not bend with you guys....it is either stay as pat or beat it. maybe i will have to look at other options next year
[/QUOTE]Hey Gambler,

No worries...these guys are just passionate. They love the league (so do I) and just don't want anything to mess it up. I respect that.

Of course, I certainly would like a playoff system in the Prime Time next year. If it doesn't happen, I will be back...you are right...not a lot of quality and trustworthy options out there.

In the meantime, I am going to run a "Just for Fun" playoff match-up board in my Prime Time league. My league is stacked with great players and former champs! It is a trill to have won one game... let alone be in contention with these sharks! So, I am going to post playoff match-ups each week between weeks 14 and 16 on our league page. It is just for fun and anyone in our league who doesn't want to play can just ignore it. But, whether I make it in the top bracket or the bottom bracket, I will be trying hard to win our "Just for Fun" playoff contest!

Our format will be as follows:
Champs bracket
Seed#1 Best record (round 1 bye)
Seed#2 Most points (round 1 bye)
Seed#3 Third place league winner
Seed#4 As listed in standings
Seed#5 As listed in standings
Seed#6 As listed in standings
Consolation bracket
Seeds#1 -#6 will be according to the listed standings. Seeds 1 and 2 will have a round 1 bye.

All of our games will take place during the on-going points chases in weeks 14-16.

Maybe you could do the same in your league?

Cheers!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 am

Originally posted by mattjb:
quote:Originally posted by thegambler:

If you like both.....play BOTH. :D everyone keeps saying if you want a playoff go play at the ffpc....what if i don't want to play there no matter what they have and this is really my only option? am i not allowd to voice my opinion on the subject without being told to go play elsewhere?

whats the sense of having a message boards if whenever someone wants to try something different they get told to play elsewhere?

there is not bend with you guys....it is either stay as pat or beat it. maybe i will have to look at other options next year
[/QUOTE]stop being such a drama queen. billy is giving his opinion as you are giving yours.

the owners of the competition are being completely open to new opinions as they have shown.
[/QUOTE]another great response to a post.

either you get told to play elsewhere or called a name...i wonder why you didn't get all of the wcoff people :rolleyes:

good luck keeping all of the newbies....

[ November 16, 2011, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: thegambler ]

wayne123

Playoff System Protest

Post by wayne123 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:46 am

Originally posted by Renman:

Are you asking for half the league to make the playoffs? This "six team playoff format" is something you would want in the 12 team leagues? [/QB]Renman,

First, I am just joking around regarding the "buck up" stuff...it was meant to be more funny than a calling out. Just having some ff fun, no offense meant.

Second regarding the playoff format: Yes, I do think a six-team format would be good for several reasons...I will list some:

1. The top two teams get a bye and therefor a substantial advantage.
2. All teams get at least a 14-game season. Note: bottom six are in the consolidation bracket.
3. The playoff system could respect the two teams that have already qualified for the NFFC Points Chase Championship with byes (top record/top points get the byes).
4. The six-team playoff is for the league prize only. A certain amount of the league prizes could be awarded to the Chase Qualifiers (even most of it). And the league playoff that takes place the same time as the Points Chase could be for the rest. I would like to see a small trophy awarded to the league winner. A $25 memento would represent the spirit of playoff competition as far as I am concerned.
5. The six-team playoff system (or 7 in the classic...another subject and I do not think we should mess with the classic right now) would mimic the NFL playoffs and would be a lot of fun.

All the best and thanks for reading my post and giving the idea some consideration.

Cheers!
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

renman

Playoff System Protest

Post by renman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:57 am

Blue,

No offense taken personally. My only point was that some people might take your jabs wrong. I personally LOVE discussing and debating fantasy football, the NFL and the NFFC and ways to always make it better. As long as the discussions stay reasonable, I am all for them regardless of the topic of which side of an issue someone is on.

I applaud your post here where you outline what you have in mind. I am headed out to a meeting and will look at it later and give some thoughts. On first glance I do not like the idea of half the league making the playoffs. But as it relates to the truly superior (top 2) teams, it is really akin to a 4 team playoff since all that is being decided (during the week they have a bye) is who those playoff opponents will be.

I also wonder how people will feel about having no fantasy football game. Sure, a bye is great as it relates to winning the league but it sure leads to a boring Sunday with no fantasy football game.

I am all for friendly discussion and debate on all of this stuff.

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:13 am

[/QUOTE]I don't think EVERYONE is saying that you should play elsewhere if you don't like the current playoff format. ;) This thread is about talking about the current playoff format vs. a new idea and everyone needs a little thicker skin when giving out their ideas. Nothing wrong with that.

Heck, Tom and I are both active on this thread and listening to the ideas. Jodicus is throwing out a new idea, one that honestly could be better than the one WCOFF had before. If you really are going to have h2h playoffs, doesn't it make more sense to still have a 13-week regular season and league playoffs after that rather than an 11-week regular season? I'm seeing some sense in his offering now compared to the other h2h playoff format.

That doesn't mean I like it more than our current playoff format, but he's making solid points and everyone should look at it. I am. So don't turn this into personal bitches with thin skin. Take the debate and improve on the suggestions. It actually can be a positive exercise from both sides of the aisle.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

joetreff

Playoff System Protest

Post by joetreff » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 am

another great response to a post.

either you get told to play elsewhere or called a name...i wonder why you didn't get all of the wcoff people :rolleyes:

good luck keeping all of the newbies.... either they agree with your opinion or you threaten to leave the contest...there are 2 major hsff contests, thats why NFFC didn't get all the WCOFF people, because some of them would rather enter the contest they like better instead of entering the other and trying to change the format through the message boards :rolleyes:

Try not to think every response to your posts is a personal insult.

[ November 16, 2011, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: felixflamingo ]

Greg Ambrosius

Playoff System Protest

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:21 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mattjb:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by thegambler:
[qb] i wonder why you didn't get all of the wcoff people :rolleyes:

good luck keeping all of the newbies.... You keep throwing this comment out as if all WCOFF people actually had a choice to make this year. Let's analyze the facts again: the live high-stakes numbers were down this year by more than 500 teams. That means 500+ WCOFF teams didn't play ANYWHERE this year. We didn't get all of the WCOFF people because NOBODY got half of those people. Some folks did gravitate to our 12-team event and as you know we sold out the Primetime event and expanded league prizes when we grew to 360 teams after shooting for 336. Next year we will consider an even higher number for the Primetime and a higher grand prize. We're excited about that contest and the Classic as well.

To appeal to those 500+ owners who didn't play ANYWHERE this year, we need the best contest in the industry, fair and quick payouts, first class customer service and a solid playoff format. A lot of people like the one we have now. Others believe we should just quit what we're doing here and adapt the old WCOFF format. We're in the process of getting feedback from those new owners like yourself and will have another survey on this matter soon. So far the data seems to suggest that the new owners we did recruit like a lot about our format, but all suggestions to improve the game are welcome. I'm certainly open to the suggestions.

I think when we announce our plans for the opening weekend of the NFL season in Las Vegas next year, we'll have a lot of the folks you keep referencing checking out our game. Some may be so used to the old playoff format that they won't come to our game no matter what. But most, I believe, would have an open mind and look at everything involving our game and come to the conclusion that they want to see the best teams rewarded with prize money just like we do and hopefully the playoff format we have in place will do that for 2012.

Carry on.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

thegambler

Playoff System Protest

Post by thegambler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 am

Originally posted by felixflamingo:
quote:another great response to a post.

good luck keeping all of the newbies.... either they agree with your opinion or you threaten to leave the contest...there are 2 major hsff contests, thats why NFFC didn't get all the WCOFF people, because some of them would rather enter the contest they like better instead of entering the other and trying to change the format through the message boards :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]it is what it is guys....people here don't want change, period. whether or not that will hurt the nffc in the long run is still out.

one thing i will say about the nffc is that you have two great owners. can't say that about many hsff leagues. owners that listen to the players and not take shots at them.

good luck all the rest of the way....i will not post on the subject anymore. no reason too.

joetreff

Playoff System Protest

Post by joetreff » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 am

Yeah but since they don't want to change why is that insulting to you? Not every post giving you feedback is a personal insult but you seem to take it is such.

Tom and Greg have to satisfy 300 Classic Owners and 500+ other owners in the various satellites and other contests. They have a format that does that as best it can.

You can't suggest a brand new format that suits you and not expect some, most or all of the other 800 owners to at least respond can you?

[ November 16, 2011, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: felixflamingo ]