Anthony Gonzalez

mikeybok

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by mikeybok » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
Do the exact same thing with Darren McFadden. Does this make him a top 50 player as well? :confused: Yes ... mathematically so in the NFFC. Otherwise we would be saying "my top 50" IMO. [/QUOTE]I'm talking more about REALITY than ADP.

Simply because there's at least one owner in every league who overvalues a player doesn't make him a "Top whatever" in my book.

Every season there are players who are extremely overvalued, doesn't mean they are good, it means too many people bought the hype.
[/QUOTE]LMAO ... as long as were talking about only YOUR reality ... I'm OK with that!

According to what you just said ... you always love all of the top 50 players. Because in your reality ... if you don't like them ... they are not a top 50 player.

So let me get this straight ... if you don't believe the hype "that Brady is going to make a come back from his injury" ... He is clearly not a top 50 player?

Hmmm ... sounds a lot like "YOUR" top 50 ... rather than a generally accepted top 50 player.

Just as a side note ... if you think someones (say mine) player values are overrated ... by default ... They (I) must think your players are also overrated because you "bought into the hype" of those players ... as we both have 50 top players and for every player not on your list ... you have a player not on my list.

Just a thought.
Hakuna Matata!

D-Day Heroes

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:

I heard Yahoo is starting a Fantasy Chess league. I feel emasculated enough playing fantasy golf. :eek: :D
By the way, even 3,4,5 rr doesen't help fantasy golf drafts. ;)
[/QUOTE]DB - Now thats some funny stuff :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

rkulaski

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by rkulaski » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:02 am

Originally posted by Team Legacy:
Anytime you count on a player like Anthony Gonzalez to be your #1 WR, you're taking a HUGE risk. Regardless of his projections (which mine are inline with Mark's) if he goes down with injury, you're saying that your NEW #1 WR is going to be on par with a Santana Moss/Derek Mason type.

If you "go for broke" with this strategy, you're really advancing either your QB or your RB3, so you're getting an advantage somewhere, but taking a ton of risk at the WR position. Personally, it's not usually a risk I'm willing to take when spending this type of cash. So while this injury is going to hurt your chances to win, it's not the injury that hurts. It's the decision to overlook the WR position and gamble that might cost you.

Full disclaimer, I drafted AGonzo as my WR2 in the primetime league behind Steve Smith. These aren't 8-10 team yahoo leagues.

In 14 team nffc leagues, if someone starts off with Adrian Peterson and Marion Barber, then with 3RR, I see no problem with taking A Gonzalez as your #1 WR. No one is going for broke. What are the other options at that point?
Gonzo had some great games last year, is now in his 3rd year, has a top 3 qb throwing to him in a great offense, has a true wr1 on the opposite side of the field and a great TE to keep defenses busy. Reports in training camp were positive, Peyton loves the guy, there is no doubt in my mind he was a solid pick at WR and not overvalued as a 3rd/4th rounder. Just respectfully disagreeing with some of the previous posts about Gonzo.
I hope he's back by mid season so we can see where he finishes by the end of the year now that some opinions have surfaced in this thread. Only problem is I don't think it's a good sign the colts are not revealing any news on his MRI so far today.

[ September 14, 2009, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: rkulaski ]

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:09 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Team Legacy:
These aren't 8-10 team yahoo leagues.

In 14 team nffc leagues, if someone starts off with Adrian Peterson and Marion Barber, then with 3RR, I see no problem with taking A Gonzalez as your #1 WR. No one is going for broke. What are the other options at that point?
[/QUOTE]Too funny Rich......you just named my first three picks in the NFFC Classic Main Event exactly.....

Were you peeking? ;)

Glenn

D-Day Heroes

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 am

Even more funny , is how my guys could touch the ball over 20 x , and Stokely touches it once, and outscores them by a mile. :eek:
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Glenneration X

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 am

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Even more funny , is how my guys could touch the ball over 20 x , and Stokely touches it once, and outscores them by a mile. :eek: Because they weren't consensus top 50 players.

rkulaski

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by rkulaski » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by rkulaski:
These aren't 8-10 team yahoo leagues.

[/QUOTE]Too funny Rich......you just named my first three picks in the NFFC Classic Main Event exactly.....

Were you peeking? ;)

Glenn
[/QUOTE]Great picks in my opinion. Best of luck to you in the main event. Hope you're able to fill the void for when/if AG returns.

I started off my nffc online championship team with AP, Boldin (MBIII was gone), and then B Marshall/A Gonzalez at the 3-4 turn. It's easy to second guess that now after week 1 but so much changes week to week.

GOD Loves You

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by GOD Loves You » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
quote:Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
Do the exact same thing with Darren McFadden. Does this make him a top 50 player as well? :confused: Yes ... mathematically so in the NFFC. Otherwise we would be saying "my top 50" IMO. [/QUOTE]I'm talking more about REALITY than ADP.

Simply because there's at least one owner in every league who overvalues a player doesn't make him a "Top whatever" in my book.

Every season there are players who are extremely overvalued, doesn't mean they are good, it means too many people bought the hype.
[/QUOTE]LMAO ... as long as were talking about only YOUR reality ... I'm OK with that!

According to what you just said ... you always love all of the top 50 players. Because in your reality ... if you don't like them ... they are not a top 50 player.

So let me get this straight ... if you don't believe the hype "that Brady is going to make a come back from his injury" ... He is clearly not a top 50 player?

Hmmm ... sounds a lot like "YOUR" top 50 ... rather than a generally accepted top 50 player.

Just as a side note ... if you think someones (say mine) player values are overrated ... by default ... They (I) must think your players are also overrated because you "bought into the hype" of those players ... as we both have 50 top players and for every player not on your list ... you have a player not on my list.

Just a thought.
[/QUOTE]Mike, you been hangin with GG? Please don't put words into my mouth. What you attempted to have me say isn't even close to what I was saying. You know darn well what I am talking about regarding hype. Ex: James Davis doesn't break off that 80+ yard run against 4th stringers and he's not mentioned more than 1 time in the top 10 rounds.

Perception vs. Reality. Like I DID say, I liked Gonzo, but he always went to early for my liking....McFadden, please, actually watch the guy play and people would see he's not a top 50 player like they PERCEIVE.

Also, your Brady example is poor, he's proven something, others mentioned have not.

And again, simply because there's a few people in every draft who overvalue a player doesn't justify his lofty draft status. Their value gets driven due to the perception that owners have to have certain players and the owners must take the certain players earlier than everybody else. If people weren't worried about getting certain players and didn't "reach" for them, you wouldn't see the unproven players getting drafted so early.
Adam Caplan created a wonderful name for these players, "INTERNET ICONS" because ultimately, that's what many of them are.

It's the same mentality in a DC...."oh no, one kicker was selected, I better get two for myself before I get shut out!" Go draft a DC league with non-NFFC members and see if the follow the herd mentality exists.

My hole point was towards GX anyways....because a player is drafted in the top 50, it doesn't make him a top 50 player. Now don't you have some Purple Jersey to go caress! :D
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

pizzatyme

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Originally posted by Team Legacy:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
We all hold are breath and cross are fingers all day Sunday , hoping no one gets injured

If you can't deal with the injuries , I heard Yahoo is starting a Fantasy Chess league.
Amen to point #1.

I'll challenge any NFFC participant to a Chess match. :D
[/QUOTE]Come over anytime Russ. I'll have the board and the coffee ready!
[/QUOTE]You may also want to pack a lunch and make it complete with a Snickers or two. ;)
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Gordon Gekko II

Anthony Gonzalez

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:
Anytime you count on a player like Anthony Gonzalez to be your #1 WR, you're taking a HUGE risk. Regardless of his projections (which mine are inline with Mark's) if he goes down with injury, you're saying that your NEW #1 WR is going to be on par with a Santana Moss/Derek Mason type.

If you "go for broke" with this strategy, you're really advancing either your QB or your RB3, so you're getting an advantage somewhere, but taking a ton of risk at the WR position. Personally, it's not usually a risk I'm willing to take when spending this type of cash. So while this injury is going to hurt your chances to win, it's not the injury that hurts. It's the decision to overlook the WR position and gamble that might cost you.

Full disclaimer, I drafted AGonzo as my WR2 in the primetime league behind Steve Smith. These aren't 8-10 team yahoo leagues.

Gonzo had some great games last year, is now in his 3rd year, has a top 3 qb throwing to him in a great offense, has a true wr1 on the opposite side of the field and a great TE to keep defenses busy. Reports in training camp were positive, Peyton loves the guy, there is no doubt in my mind he was a solid pick at WR and not overvalued as a 3rd/4th rounder. Just respectfully disagreeing with some of the previous posts about Gonzo.
I hope he's back by mid season so we can see where he finishes by the end of the year now that some opinions have surfaced in this thread. Only problem is I don't think it's a good sign the colts are not revealing any news on his MRI so far today.
[/QUOTE]agreed. selecting a.gonzo in the 14 teamer in the 3rd or 4th round was not "going for broke". if he was the top wr on your board at that point, what are you going to do, pass on him? in my league, housh and bowe were off the board before 3.3 :eek: