-1 for QB Pick

Tom Kessenich

Re: -1 for QB Pick

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:40 pm

Sandman62 wrote:By that argument Tom, then with all the committee RBs these days, why not increase RBs to 1.5PPR so that when we don't do a good job drafting them, we can get an easy boost from the wire?
Because we think the scoring we have in place does a good job of awarding proper points for production. Does that mean we'll never make any changes? Of course not. But at this time no one has made a compelling argument in my opinion as to why we should radically adjust the kicker scoring, for example.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 pm

mattjb wrote:What is harder...drafting a good kicker or getting the last word with Mike? :lol:
WINNER!!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
mattjb wrote:What is harder...drafting a good kicker or getting the last word with Mike? :lol:
WINNER!!!
I'm going for the sweep ... my stamina feel pretty good today! :mrgreen:

I need the distraction from my disastrous diamond league pitching this week. :oops:

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Wow...this kicker debate has really taken off.

The kicker is a position I do less research on, but I don't neglect it. However, it really is simple.....if you drafted a crappy one, be diligent early and get a new one!

I hear where you are coming from Mike, but the problem with your debate is the fact that at the end of the year (most years...don't have data in front of me) it seems like the difference between kicker #1 and kicker #12 or #14 is not much at all.

So the point is even if the best one is scoring 12 points a game......the "worst starter" in the league isn't far behind. Sure, it sucks when you play against the team whose kicker scores 20 and beats you that week, but it could easily be the same guy scoring 5 the next week, randomness of schedule H2H...sucks! ......it all evens out in the end IMO.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:21 pm

King of Queens wrote:I have a much bigger problem with kickers scoring versus RB and WR than I do with Ks vs Ks. Sure, there's a Victor Cruz emerging every year that makes a difference. However, when an entire POSITION's scoring is dictated by randomness AND produces scores that often exceed your starting RBs or WRs, I must shake my head.
This, I agree with.

Although I would say that kicker scoring isn't random, just much less predictable. In that vein, the higher the kicker scoring, the higher the luck factor in any given week.

Kickers should not be eliminated, but I wouldn't mind a reduction in scoring. Something like 3 points per FG, plus a bonus for 50+
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Actually Billy, the point Glenn and I are making isn't the difference between various kickers. Rather, the amount of points the kicker position scores compared to other positions, like RB2, WR3 and flex - relative to the amount of research necessary for each, where they're drafted, waiver upgrade ability, etc.. No one is whining here about not having a good kicker. I hope you see the difference?

Bottom line regarding kickers (and for that matter, QBs):

1. If the current NFFC QB and kicker scoring system has been in place since the beginning (or close to it), and at the time the scoring system was devised obviously thought went into it and Greg and Tom came up with their desired proportion of points to be scored each week among the 10 lineup spots we start. So maybe at that time, they were satisfied that QBs would contribute say 12% and kickers 7% and so on, or thereabouts.

2. I don't think I even need to scrounge up the data to assert that, over the last few years, NFL passing yards has increased (largely due to rule changes meant to facilitate just that) and therefore fantasy QB scoring has increased. I mean, we had 3 QBs last year alone over 5000 yards and others close. Likewise, with teams passing more and advancing the ball more, if they score more TDs, there are more extra points; if they don't score a TD, FGs are up. So kicker scoring is up too. Yes, WR and RBs are scoring more too, but unlike QBs and Ks, there is more than one of them per NFL team.

3. So if these two positions are scoring more points now than when the original scoring system was put in place, doesn't it stand to reason that the original proportion of each position's points has been skewed since then? If so, then why isn't it a valid discussion to consider reducing their points? :?

But I get it, it's not. Moving on.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:17 pm

I believe this has been brought up before but what about the idea of a "team kicker?" We already draft a DST and IMO, kickers are a huge portion of the special teams. So, if you start the Niners D, Akers is your kicker. If he would happen to get hurt, then you have whomever plays in his place.

Just an idea but it seems like it would satisfy the needs...or wants. I admit that kickers are the last position I research. Mostly because if I know I miss, I can hit the waiver wire and usually improve that position. And even though I don't like to, I find myself drafting three kickers in DC's just to play it safe.
Go Big Red!

wayne123

Post by wayne123 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I would like to see -1 for a missed Field Goal. After all, a missed or blocked field goal is essentially a turnover. But, it might not be the kickers fault. For that reason and many others...I agree with the concept of defense and special teams including kickers being wrapped together in a single position. But, this is a debate for after the season...we all knew the rules when we drafted...and my main event teams suck!!!! However, IF interceptions counted for -7, AND IF touchdowns over 40 yards counted double, AND IF field goals against the wind counted for 10 points, AND IF running back receptions only counted if the catch went for more yards than the running backs average rush yards during the same game, AND IF bobbled catches counter for as many catches as there were bobbles, AND IF we were allowed to eliminate one player on our opponents roster and replace them with one of ours, THEN my teams would be right in the think of it!

I AM BLUE_FOOT.
I AM BLUE_FOOT.

FatPerez

Post by FatPerez » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 am

My 2 cents......I have to agree with Tomás & KJ here. Inevitably, every year the "luck" vs. "skill" argument plays out on these boards in some form or another. That's why I equate fantasy sports to poker......I believe the consistently successful players stack the odds as much in their favor as they can, then let the cards fall where they may. I feel the research and preparation I do leading up to each draft and throughout the season, (yes, even on K's & DEF's), do have some effect on the "luck" I have. That's why I love to hear other owners at the draft say things like- "Well, it doesn't really matter this late in the draft anyway," or "What's the difference, it's the 14th round?"......get's me all warm and fuzzy inside. If another owner doesn't want to research K's or DEF's, that's fine with me. Point is, I don't believe luck is any more involved in some streetpunk kicker blasting you right in the grill for 20 P's, as opposed to some random shoehorn feeding you a big, fat 40-burger from the WR3 spot. Luck is involved in fantasy sports. The question is, as an owner, do you place yourself in a position through your research, prep, and execution to more often than not weather the storm, or do you consistently take it straight to the mug? I don't believe that .1 of a point is overkill for each yard that a K boots in past 30 yards. I think it's appropriate scoring/reward for the position, especially for the more consistent or power-legged K's. That being said, toss my name into the hat of the owners who would like to see skill position players who double as kick/punt returners rewarded for their special skill sets. No yardage points, strictly 6 points for the TD's. It would definitely add some intrigue/value to the weenies out their like Desean Jackson or Devin Hester.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."- Conan the Cimmerian

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 am

Put me down for. I like the scoring with the kickers and QBs as is. :D

Like Mr. FatPerez mentioned above I would love to see Kick returners get 6 points for TDs. No yards just the 6pts.

Hopefully, Tom and Greg that could be a question in the survey for end of season.