And then we have fantasy football

Greg Ambrosius

Re: And then we have fantasy football

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Sandman62 wrote:Greg,

Do you have similar data for the top 10 in scoring each year?
Mike, if you go to Standings, Overall, you will see Regular Season links for all of the contests from 2004-11. The one exception is 2010 that was run on Fanball.com. We have that data, but we haven't uploaded it yet as part of the NFFC standings. Obviously, if you want Weeks 14-16 you have access to 2006-09 and 2011 under the NFFC Classic Championship Round links. We don't have the Consolation Round links active, but you have much of the data on that page.

All of this being said, our goal is to eventually get the Lifetime Standings updated again, have scoring averages for each owner broken down by number of years competing in the NFFC and more. That project is on the To-Do list, but behind more pressing matters. But as we approach our 10th seasons in baseball and football, it's obviously more and more important that we get our historical data updated and on the site. The passing of information between two companies slowed all that down.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Don Draper wrote:From my first post in the thread..."I play fantasy football, but I don’t like it." ;)

I'm sure you'll see me lined up for more pain next year!!! :lol:
The good news is that you smartly minimized your pain this year!! ;) Save the investments for NFBC, where your track record is among the best.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Great post, 2 responses had me thinking what makes the fantasy football player consistently good. Diesels post(another thread I think) about "how is that team beating me by 200?" and Waynes post about 3-3-6. There are 3 skill sets to the fantasy player, draft skill, FAAB skill, and coaching skill. All have a luck factor to them and that factor is different from year to year. Meaning some years we are better at some of the skill sets than other years and years we do all three well we do better overall, obviously. I think the players at the top manage all three the best that year.
I feel coaching is vastly more difficult than the other two. Is it the luck factor? Maybe, because the 11 other players in my league are lucky to have me. I feel I draft well and am good at free agency also. Case in point, I pick up Hartrline after week one because I like the targets he got, new coaching staff, injured in preseason, under radar, yada yada whatever. Have Titus Young as my flex, bad week one, give him another shot or Hartline? Coach says Young. Young 2.1/Hartline 20.1. Young out Hartline in, Young 19.5, Hartline 5.1. Ok, Young back in, Hartline out, Young 3.2, Hartline 43.3. WTF.Then there is the LSH pick up on the cheap, good move, try him at the flex because I will shoot myself soon and he gets 2.2. Ok, out, next week, 24.9. Thats how you end up in the 3-3 part of the league and not the top 6. Thanks for listening to that, good therapy to type it.
Anyway, I think football success lies with being able to do all three sets well. Some years are better than others but doing all three well cuts down on the "luck" factor, where doing one poorly makes it seem like "luck" had a bigger role.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Don Draper wrote:From my first post in the thread..."I play fantasy football, but I don’t like it." ;)

I'm sure you'll see me lined up for more pain next year!!! :lol:
same time....same place. :lol: :lol:
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Don Draper wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Don,

I think that your reasoning is off here. I don't remember anyone suggesting that skill is based on high finishes in the 3 week race.

Wayne
So are you saying the Championship round most closely resembles a pull at the slot machine lever?

I didn't say slot machine - you did. But there is much more luck winning a 3 week contest than winning a 13 week contest, correct???

Wayne

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:04 pm

OK just realized that "Don Draper" is actually "Gordon Gekko" of the NFFC and NFBC boards. Great respect for your accomplishments in this crazy game Mark, but I am surprsed to see that you think so much of football is luck. One thing is for sure, it takes a different kind of analysis for football versus baseball. I usually have found myself on the losing end of baseball, but have performed much better in football over the past 10 to 15 years. Not quite sure why.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Maybe I show a lack of respect, but I really dont care. Don Draper or Gekko or whoever he is tomorrow.... He is wrong, plain and simple. Comparing it to slot machine luck is just trying to stir the pot, but, what's knew. Some things never change.
Hey Mark, next year my grandma says she is going to take her weekend she normally goes to Foxwoods and draft in the Primetime... you up for some top notch competition?

Story about the artist formally known as Gekko. My son, Jeremiah, who is 10, had heard about "gekko" in one of the past leagues and wanted to meet him since he likes the Geico commercials so we came over to the table to shake his hand before one of the baseball drafts and Mark looked at him like he was an ingrade and wouldnt even say hi, though his friend Jeremiah, I believe it was, spoke to my son for a while. So during the auction, every time "gekko" would bid on a player, my son was kicking me under the table and whispering "dont let the jerk get him".... True story.

Its all about being a bad loser... Mark is the greatest "know it all" when he wins and its all luck when he loses. Big shock... Mark is back and bringing attention to himself.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 am

KenGill wrote:OK just realized that "Don Draper" is actually "Gordon Gekko" of the NFFC and NFBC boards. Great respect for your accomplishments in this crazy game Mark, but I am surprsed to see that you think so much of football is luck. One thing is for sure, it takes a different kind of analysis for football versus baseball. I usually have found myself on the losing end of baseball, but have performed much better in football over the past 10 to 15 years. Not quite sure why.
Hey Ken. Pleasure talking with you. Let's shoot for Sunday Nov 4th to watch some football. We could hash out the luck/skill debate once and for all. 8-)

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:50 am

JETS SB wrote:Maybe I show a lack of respect, but I really dont care. Don Draper or Gekko or whoever he is tomorrow.... He is wrong, plain and simple. Comparing it to slot machine luck is just trying to stir the pot, but, what's knew. Some things never change.
Hey Mark, next year my grandma says she is going to take her weekend she normally goes to Foxwoods and draft in the Primetime... you up for some top notch competition?

Story about the artist formally known as Gekko. My son, Jeremiah, who is 10, had heard about "gekko" in one of the past leagues and wanted to meet him since he likes the Geico commercials so we came over to the table to shake his hand before one of the baseball drafts and Mark looked at him like he was an ingrade and wouldnt even say hi, though his friend Jeremiah, I believe it was, spoke to my son for a while. So during the auction, every time "gekko" would bid on a player, my son was kicking me under the table and whispering "dont let the jerk get him".... True story.

Its all about being a bad loser... Mark is the greatest "know it all" when he wins and its all luck when he loses. Big shock... Mark is back and bringing attention to himself.
Not a big surprise, but I have no recollection of your "alleged" story. In general, I usually talk with everyone who approaches me. Wish I could spend 15 minutes talking with everyone, but its just not possible. And I certainly dont look at any kid as an "ingrade". Maybe I was looking at you? :lol:

I have two kids so I'm very sensitive around them. For instance, in all my years as a father, I have never once cursed in front of my two (or any of their friends). Never. So while, I'd be courteous (at a minimum to any kid), I could treat you (theoretically a grown man) differently if you present yourself as rude or a jackass. Maybe that's what happened. In any case, if something like this happens, go ahead and address the "offender" right there and then instead of saving it for a message board.

As for being a bad loser...i purposefully didn't mention any of my standings when starting this thread...just to see how many people would fall into the trap of pre-judging and automatically thinking this is about "sour grapes". btw, i'm in 7 nffc leagues, and when i started this thread, i was first in 2 of them and 2nd in another. man, if those are the results of a loser, it looks like the nffc is filled with them :lol:
Last edited by Don Draper on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:03 am

JETS SB wrote: He is wrong, plain and simple. Comparing it to slot machine luck is just trying to stir the pot, but, what's knew.
why do you keep dodging the questions i put forth to you?
1. why only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in eight years
2. why has the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC never made the Top 10 overall

If skill is such a key component, how could these things happen? how is this stirring the pot? these are the actual results. please point to actual results that show the Championship round is not a slot machine.

Not many people are answering it. Although, Greg did say, "In fantasy football, the goal is to top your league mates after 13 weeks and then hope and pray that your players get hot for 3 weeks. The most skilled player can finish outside the Top 10 in fantasy football, just like the most skilled poker player can lose at any time in a big tournament."

"Hope and Pray" is really the only thing a lot of people pulling the lever are doing (even JETS SB grandma)! :twisted: