NFFC Rules Survey Going Out This Week

Jersey Dawg

Re: NFFC Rules Survey Going Out This Week

Post by Jersey Dawg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm

I have to agree with Glenn here. I don't see any valid reason not to be able to drop any player on my team on Friday unless he as actually been active and played in my lineup on Thursday. Who really cares when I bought him so to speak? I'm depleting my available FAAB and that should make everyone happy.

Pete

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Yeah, the inconvenience it causes on Friday easily outweighs any perceived "scouting" advantage. People might try and be legends in their own minds to gain that slight edge if it happened to present itself, but it would be rare to turn down a player they want more on Friday to try and get that peak.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Amazingly, we already have almost 500 responses to our NFFC survey. The voting is VERY interesting for all 3 questions so far. Keep them coming and we'll finalize the survey results the middle of next week. Thanks all. The response has already topped last year's survey and we appreciate the feedback.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

bockman1

Post by bockman1 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:18 pm

I have to weigh in on the returner getting points for defense. I totally disagree, defensive scoring is already a crap shoot. I could see this if defensive scoring was changed to points allowed only and get rid of all the other stuff. Its already bad enough without rewarding double points. I went to this in other leagues years ago and if you do it this way you will never want to go back. If puts defensives on a par with RB QB and everyone else. You can handicap them for the draft and season just like you do any other position, instead of hoping and praying the DB will not dop the interception or the fumbling team gets its own fumble back.
when you figure out there is no way to figure it out your almost there

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:17 pm

IMO, what it comes down to is this: Is it really fair that anyone who owns the DST of a team whose returner runs a TD back is essentially losing ground if the individual player were also rewarded (especially evident if that individual player is playing against another NFFC team who has that DST)?

But this comes up every year, as if a whole slew of NFFC starting lineup players might benefit from it and are instead being screwed, when in reality, there were 7 total TDs of this type that might have actually mattered. And 3 of those 7 were by Jacoby Jones; seriously, how many starting lineups was he in this year with his 5 PPG average (and considering he only scored 1 return TD last year)?

So we're really talking about 4 TDs of this type that would've also been rewarded to a player - hardly predictable or of any real consequence on draft day. I mean, would anyone have drafted Harvin, Cobb, Edelman or Hilton even a round earlier knowing that they MIGHT score a single TD on special teams this year? Doubtful.

Given that, why should those who draft and start DSTs largely based on their defensive prowess (seeing ST is so unpredictable) have to ever risk losing points because a position player who might have been in someone's lineup can negate it?

As I said last year too, remove the ST from DST and then I have no issue with giving the return TDs to the individual players. Look how random the return TDs were and for what DSTs (ADP): IND (N/A), NE (12), GB (5), BAL (4), MIN (23). Did anyone drafting those DSTs really do so because they predicted any return TDs?

2012 Punt Return TDs:
Rank Player Team Pos Value
1 Leodis McKelvin Buffalo Bills CB 2
2 T.Y. Hilton Indianapolis Colts WR 1
2 Dwayne Harris Dallas Cowboys WR 1
2 Julian Edelman New England Patriots WR 1
2 Damaris Johnson Philadelphia Eagles WR 1
2 Tommie Campbell Tennessee Titans DB 1
2 Randall Cobb Green Bay Packers WR 1
2 Marcus Sherels Minnesota Vikings CB 1
2 Jacoby Jones Baltimore Ravens WR 1
2 Jeremy Kerley New York Jets WR 1
2 Adam Jones Cincinnati Bengals CB 1
2 Trindon Holliday Denver Broncos WR 1
2 Marcus Thigpen Miami Dolphins RB 1

2012 Kickoff Return TDs:
Rank Player Team Pos Value
1 Jacoby Jones Baltimore Ravens WR 2
2 Marcus Thigpen Miami Dolphins RB 1
2 Leon Washington Seattle Seahawks RB 1
2 Darius Reynaud Tennessee Titans WR 1
2 Devin McCourty New England Patriots CB 1
2 Joe McKnight New York Jets RB 1
2 Trindon Holliday Denver Broncos WR 1
2 Percy Harvin Minnesota Vikings WR 1
2 Brad Smith Buffalo Bills WR 1

Source: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player- ... touchdowns

TR

Post by TR » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Cocktails and Dreams wrote:I also think you should be able to drop guys that played Thursday IF they were not in your lineup. There are a couple of other places I play that have it like the NFFC in this regard, but the majority do not have that restriction, including the primary competition of the NFFC. I think they should allow for them to be dropped here as well.
ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I absolutely did not want two waiver periods in the vote last year but I ended up not minding how it worked out. I totally agree with Chad in all players should be bid on at one time, couldn't agree more with that actually. I also agree with whomever suggested that we should be able to cut players from Thusdays game on Friday if we want.
Glenn is correct, I am not in favor of this rule. But there are two versions of it:

1) An owner picked up a player in FAAB on Wednesday who played on Thursday. He didn't start him, but he wanted to see how he would do. Then he wanted to cut him on Friday because he didn't start him. We don't allow that. ALL PLAYERS who play on Thursday night are locked, whether they play or not. So this part I don't see changing.

2) As I think Chad is suggesting, an owner makes his FAAB bids on Wednesday, then on Friday he wants to cut a player who played on Thursday who was on his reserve. We don't allow that. Again, ALL PLAYERS are locked on Thursday. Basically it gives those owners 20+ players to evaluate that week if you allow a Friday cut of someone who already played. You need to make decisions on all players before you see them play that week. It's like giving one answer away on a test to some owners but not others. We're all dealing with 20 man rosters for that week, not allowing some to have 20 on Thursday, see how they play and see if they get hurt, and then add 2 more from your team that had 2 play already. If you want to cut those players, cut them before Thursday's game.

That's our position. And while other contests offer you the chance to cut Thursday players on Friday, there's also debates about why that is allowed within those contests. And I've explained why we don't allow it above.
I can see Greg's reasoning and think it should extend to the draft dates for the Main Events to keep it consistent...with ppl drafting before and after the Thursday Nite games, I don't think everyone is on the same playing field with the ppl drafting after that game having alot more information (david wilson ring a bell?) ...seems only fair imo that the same logic be applied and everyone draft either before the thurs nite game or everyone draft after it.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:The rest of the fantasy industry must agree as they have always based their rules allowing the drop. This contest however feels differently, obviously their right. I just disagree.
All very solid points for and against the way we run the Thursday games. As for this point above from Glenn, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the first year the fantasy industry has held two different FAAB periods? Did anyone ever have Wednesday and Friday free agent pickups before this year?
The WCOFF had Wednesday and Friday waivers for the Thanksgiving games and all Thursday games afterwards.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:19 pm

FWIW, both ESPN and CBS leagues by default lock players 5 mins. before their games that week. So no trades or waiver moves can include a player who has already played (whether in your lineup or not). I know they're not high stakes, but they are pretty mainstream.

However, Yahoo offers another option:
Weekly Waivers
Weekly waivers do not change based on early week games:
First game of the week - Tuesday waivers: Leagues that use this option will have all unowned players placed onto waivers once the first game of the week begins and continues until Tuesday.
Game Time waivers: Players in the early week game(s) will be placed onto waivers at the scheduled kickoff time of their game. All other players will remain free agents until their games kick off on Sunday or Monday.
Sunday - Tuesday waivers: Leagues that use this setting will not have their weekly waivers affected for early week games. All players will go on waivers at the beginning of the first game on Sunday morning.
Sun-Tues weekly waiver example: All players will be available as Free Agents until the first game of the week on Sunday. This means that if a team's player is injured during an early week game, the backup player can be added to a manager's team at any time during the early week game and up until 10am PT Sunday, although they will not be eligible to be used until the following Fantasy week. This is because your league's weekly waiver rules don't take effect until the beginning of the first game on Sunday morning. This example holds true for all players who are unowned in your league.
Last edited by Sandman62 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 pm

History of Thursday games:

2002/2003
Week 13 - Thanksgiving games (2)

2004/2005
Week 12 - Thanksgiving games (2)

Week 12 - Thanksgiving games (3)
Week 13 - Thursday game (1)

Week 10 - Thursday game (1)
Week 11 - Thursday game (1)
Week 12 - Thursday game (1)
Week 13 - Thanksgiving games (3)

2009/2010/2011
Week 10 - Thursday game (1)
Week 11 - Thursday game (1)

In the FFPC (and previously WCOFF), free agency ends for most teams just prior to Week 11. Only playoff teams are allowed to bid in Weeks 12 and 13.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Based on KOQ's data, I revise my previous post to state that the WCOFF had Wednesday and Friday waivers for Thanksgiving games and all Thursday games "before" and afterwards. Sorry. :)

I also agree with TR's post that there's a slight contradiction afoot.

However, I'm personally done debating this issue. I've held it with Greg for a bit longer than the length of this thread and I'm pretty convinced at this point that he's not going to be swayed.