NFFC Ruling On Texans-Ravens Game

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:20 am

Originally posted by RedRyder:
quote:Originally posted by Todd Zola:
A few things have happened since the inaugural NFFC campaign that make revisiting the idea of 20-man rosters worthwhile.

1. Please correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't the NFL altered the distribution of bye weeks, consolidating them?

2. There seems to be a higher occurrence of injury the past couple of years

3. The unfortunate events of this past weekend

Assuming going forward, the policy for incidents like this past weekend is consistent with how it was correctly handled, some, perhaps not all but some will take advantage of the extra roster spots by backing up one or more of their K-D/ST-TE.

Those that don't will take flyers on players that could have been sought-after free agents, but an argument can be made that those that have the foresight to identify the waiver wire hot players before they become common knowledge should have the roster space to do so, and still be able to back up the other positions at their discretion.

I guess in summary, I personally think dynamics have changed in the past 5 years such that the benefits of having 2 more rounds outweigh the downfall of a thinner free agent pool.

Just one man's opinion. Well stated Todd.

Greg, I hope you will re-visit this situation...thanks.
[/QUOTE]+1
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:35 am

Originally posted by Todd Zola:

Assuming going forward, the policy for incidents like this past weekend is consistent with how it was correctly handled, some, perhaps not all but some will take advantage of the extra roster spots by backing up one or more of their K-D/ST-TE. I have run 40+ 20/21 man rosters in 14-team leagues.

I checked 5 leagues yesterday. If I have time, I'll do all of them (47), but only one league of those five had THREE teams with TWO each of TE/D/K on their rosters. The four others had one or two teams. Owners value depth at QB/RB/WR more because of greater risk associated with those positions along with the ease of picking up TE/K/D to cover byes.

We did 18 for a long time before switching to 20. And having played both the last five years, the differences are negligible.

So... with 28 players out of the player pool, I would guesstimate that only about 5-7 of those players wind up being extra TE/K/D based on my experience.

The spots mostly go to handcuff QB/RB/WR...

Lastly, the "Droughns", "E.Grahams", "S.Young"'s each year are surprisingly always on 90% of the FA lists like here when they get a starting job out of the blue.

Changing to 20 here really isn't going to solve anything.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 am

Agree it isn't going to SOLVE anything. I'm not suggesting that. The question is will it make it better or worse, even incrementally, or will it have no effect.

The difference being those TE/K/D tendencies were pre-musical bye weeks.

Personally, what I would hypothetically do with those 2 extra spots would revolve around the NFFC's policy with respect to emergency situations. If the policy remains to not schedule a last-minute FAAB, I would be more inclined to back up these other positions until the time came when I needed the spot elsewhere or the player/team already had their bye.

[ September 15, 2008, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Todd Zola ]
"No one cares about your team but you."

danimal10

Post by danimal10 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:46 am

Candidly and with all due respect to those teams that were affected, it was pretty obvious on Friday, prior to FAAB cut off deadline, that Hurricane Ike COULD have a significant impact on the city of Houston and subesquently the Ravens/Texans game. And anyone who saw what happened during Katrina knows that even the most sturdy structures sometimes are no match for Mother Nature.

So despite what the NFL was saying about moving the game to Monday, if I had any roster postions that I was relying on a Raven or Texan to fill, without a backup, I certainly would have managed my roster through FAAB accordingly, as a contingency plan.

The biggest impact appears to have been on those with no backup kicker or backup defense who were relying on a Raven or Texan. Backup kickers and defenses generally come pretty cheap on the FAAB Wouldn't 2 dollars of FAAB to ensure you did not take a zero from that spot been a worthwhile investment?

To me, this situation, while unprecedented in actual fact, due primarily to the NFL's mismanagement of the situation, was in actual scope and real impact, much closer to a late week scratch of an injured player than something totally unforseen and unable to be planned for.

Simply put, there was a risk that those players on the Ravens & Texans might not play and in my humble opinion, the propery strategy for owners would have been to manage that risk accordingly.

D

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 am

Originally posted by Todd Zola:
Agree it isn't going to SOLVE anything. I'm not suggesting that. The question is will it make it better or worse, even incrementally, or will it have no effect. I have to so no effect. I'm sure there is a slight one, but I can't measure it or even determine if it better or worse. The "feel" of the 18 and 20 to me is exactly the same.

The drafts and FA lists are basically the same.

What people would do with those two extra spots is up to personal preference and make up of their team.

Here's one for me all the leagues I drafted.. Nffc 18, nbc 20, ufs 20.

If I didn't get Witten in Rd 3 with his Week 10 bye, I was going after Daniels AND Z.Miller and play the matchups.

So the result of that dictated one of those spots.
I personally don't mind drafting TWO at ONE at TE or D.

In the MAIN, I took Minn, but NYG had too much value where I took them to let them go to someone else, and I'm glad I took them for this week.

[ September 15, 2008, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: JohnZ ]
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm

Originally posted by danimal10:
Candidly and with all due respect to those teams that were affected, it was pretty obvious on Friday, prior to FAAB cut off deadline, that Hurricane Ike COULD have a significant impact on the city of Houston and subesquently the Ravens/Texans game. And anyone who saw what happened during Katrina knows that even the most sturdy structures sometimes are no match for Mother Nature.

So despite what the NFL was saying about moving the game to Monday, if I had any roster postions that I was relying on a Raven or Texan to fill, without a backup, I certainly would have managed my roster through FAAB accordingly, as a contingency plan.

The biggest impact appears to have been on those with no backup kicker or backup defense who were relying on a Raven or Texan. Backup kickers and defenses generally come pretty cheap on the FAAB Wouldn't 2 dollars of FAAB to ensure you did not take a zero from that spot been a worthwhile investment?

To me, this situation, while unprecedented in actual fact, due primarily to the NFL's mismanagement of the situation, was in actual scope and real impact, much closer to a late week scratch of an injured player than something totally unforseen and unable to be planned for.

Simply put, there was a risk that those players on the Ravens & Texans might not play and in my humble opinion, the propery strategy for owners would have been to manage that risk accordingly.

D I understand what you're saying but it didn't even occur to me that they would move the game to a different week. I just assumed it would be a different location. That's my excuse as to why I took a zero at Kicker AND QB.

Wayne

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm

I don't think anyone made the "wrong" decision here.

Not Greg or Tom. Working on the fly, at the last minute, they made the only decision they could.

Not even the NFL. Considering that millions of Texans are without power, and football is quite likely the last of their concerns this week, giving them the opportunity to see their team play a home game was the right decision.

Finally, I can't say folks like me made the wrong decision either. Particularly with respect to position players. With limited roster spots to work with, I would have been hard pressed to make 3 drops in one week without dropping valuable or potentially valuable players.

Just blue-skying here, but what if each team had a two man taxi-squad? You would draft or aquire free agents for these slots, but the only way you could actually use the players would be in case of a player on your regular roster being injured and declared "out", or in cases of extreme measures such as this past weekend.

This would then be the NFFC equivelent of a practice squad. Just a thought.