Live Chat With Greg A. On Wednesday, 11 a.m. EST

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
For the record Greg, I think it is a GREAT idea to offer a BIG prize for someone who wins both. If both contests have 400 people, the odds are 1:160,000. I think an insurance company would see that, and it wouldn't be too much to purchase, but I am just a Special Ed Teacher and just guessing. ;)

The real good thing is the simple LURE of winning $1,000,000. People see seven figures for playing fantasy football, and they will come in DROVES!!!! I simply love this idea.

I also like Russ' idea of the person who has the best COMBINED finish winning something. Is it possible for NBC to flip the bill each year for two free entries into EACH Main the following season????

Also, it is safe to assume that the leader after 13 weeks in the NBC contest will receive a free entry into that contest the following year ala the NFFC Main?

Finally, how about a prize if someone can be the lifetime standings leader in BOTH events?

$5,000,000 sounds like a good number! ;) :D All good points. And yes we have a meeting tomorrow with an insurance company that does this, so we've had this in the works for awhile. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how much it costs and what the real odds of this happening are. I'll know more tomorrow if this is a real possibility or not, but I like all of it.

Good point on the NBC Sports regular season champion earning a free entry. We'll make that happen and I'll add to that prize list. Gotta do it. Thanks for the reminder.

[ May 14, 2008, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

eddietheking

Post by eddietheking » Wed May 14, 2008 4:45 pm

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
How about 10 Million to win the NFFC, NBC, and WCOFF in the same year. Plus an extra $1.98 if you win one of the other events. [/QUOTE]Unless it is AFFL, because then you get NOTHING! :mad:
[/QUOTE]This would be a lot funnier if we weren't still waiting for a check or any word at all from the AFFL.
Greg's right, taking a chance on a new contest is something I'd be very wary of this year. This year stick to contests that have actually sent checks previously!

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed May 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by ultimatefantasyfootballcheatsheets:
How about a realistic prize for highest combined placement in both events?

1st and 300th is not as good as 50th and 60th.

Say $5000 for best combined finish? This is a good point and we'll figure something out. Maybe free entries into both events next year since they dominated both events. Likely total points between the two contests. I'll figure this out and do something for our players who are in both events. Makes perfect sense.
[/QUOTE]Greg, good starting point~ Thanks for the consideration.

I think this prize will be more attainable and while the lure of the bigger prize will catch more eyes, this prize will keep everyone's interest longer. If you're entered in both leagues, it could pay to manage both teams till the end. This is a win for all involved!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks all for partaking in the discussion today. As I said earlier in this thread, Tom and I will make sure that we're available at least once a week for these chats and likely will do it each Wednesday. You obviously can always ask questions at any time, but if we're here one day each week to get ideas going like we did today, good things can come of it. So look for us to be more proactive on our own boards going forward and even moreso once the NBC Sports FFC web site is live. That should be done next week I'm told by STATS, which is building it for us.

I'm off to the Brewers' game tomorrow for a tailgate, game and then a post-game tailgate. See ya on Friday.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu May 15, 2008 1:19 am

My guess is the insurance for a million will be between 10K and 15K. Let me know how close I get greg!!!!!
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu May 15, 2008 1:39 am

For the record Greg, I think it is a GREAT idea to offer a BIG prize for someone who wins both. If both contests have 400 people, the odds are 1:160,000. I think an insurance company would see that, and it wouldn't be too much to purchase, but I am just a Special Ed Teacher and just guessing. ;)
Waz - u musta failed stats in school. The odds of the insurance company paying out the million would be WAY lower than that. WAY LOWER

Baker Boy

Post by Baker Boy » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 am

The odds of YOU winning the prize is 160,000-1 the odds of anyone winning the prize is about 400-1 assuming 400 entries in the lowest participating event. This does not take into account any skill factors regarding individual players ie. this is not a ping pong ball lottery.
The nature of FF has some players trying to get the some of the same players in every league they draft in thus reducing the odds even further. My guess is the true odds stand at about 100-1 and the insurance company will base their premium on that accordingly

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu May 15, 2008 4:20 am

Originally posted by Baker Boy:
The odds of YOU winning the prize is 160,000-1 the odds of anyone winning the prize is about 400-1 assuming 400 entries in the lowest participating event. This does not take into account any skill factors regarding individual players ie. this is not a ping pong ball lottery.
The nature of FF has some players trying to get the some of the same players in every league they draft in thus reducing the odds even further. My guess is the true odds stand at about 100-1 and the insurance company will base their premium on that accordingly baker boy went to stats class :cool:

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu May 15, 2008 4:21 am

Originally posted by Baker Boy:
The odds of YOU winning the prize is 160,000-1 the odds of anyone winning the prize is about 400-1 assuming 400 entries in the lowest participating event. This does not take into account any skill factors regarding individual players This would assume all 400 players are the same in both contests. I would guess there probably wouldn't be greater than a 50% participation in both contesta or around 200 contestants. Also, I suspect there would be a "skill" factor built into the calculation, but it wouldn't be a large factor.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
This would assume all 400 players are the same in both contests. I would guess there probably wouldn't be greater than a 50% participation in both contesta or around 200 contestants. no way the insurance company woul take the risk of lowballing it. if smart, they'll assume the contestants will be the same in both events.