6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Originally posted by da bears:
I like choice E the best with D being second. Put me in the same boat as Mr. Bauler!

I think people are overreacting to the work when Jacksonville (since they get plenty of primetime games! :rolleyes: is playing Chicago.

Who are you really going to give a second thought to putting in the work to picking up??? :confused:

I know that isn't going to be the matchup each week, but there will be plenty of crappy teams playing in these games with nothing to think about for fantasy. However it does help in the case of an emergency where someone may need a kicker, etc. Like KOQ said, there may be FIVE (at best) players picked up on Wednesdays if you can only pick up Thursday players.

Then, you still get the full Friday FAAB with all the updated information.

Yes, it's going to be more work, but it's going to be more work regardless of any option that is seriously being considered.

[ February 10, 2012, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Any chance we can go to team kicker next year anyway? It'll help with some potential add/drops next year (with possibly having 2 add/drop periods or just doing them on Friday where if your kicker was hurt and played on Thursday you'd get a 0) and then I can just carry one in the Championship Round instead of waste a roster spot... this just seems like a plus all around to me

boutrous11

Post by boutrous11 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
This message board poll is an extremely small sample size of the entire NFFC universe -- especially considering that we are squarely in the off-season.

Bottom line: I wouldn't expect 30 responses to generate a "winning" answer. yeah but us hardcore players that post on the message board in the off season should be the ones the make the decision.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 am

Maybe an email blast saying that these important issues are being discussed on the MB and that "their" input would be considered and appreciated might drive folks here? Might be a way to bring more people into the loop and spur dialogue in the off season? Doesn't cost anything to do and it could be a good follow up to your most recent survey. Thanking them for their time and inviting them to have a say in the direction of the game?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 am

Originally posted by Silver and Black:
Maybe an email blast saying that these important issues are being discussed on the MB and that "their" input would be considered and appreciated might drive folks here? Might be a way to bring more people into the loop and spur dialogue in the off season? Doesn't cost anything to do and it could be a good follow up to your most recent survey. Thanking them for their time and inviting them to have a say in the direction of the game? Yes, we can definitely send out an NFFC newsletter this week with this info and ask for more feedback from more of our members. I'm sure many of them aren't even aware of this discussion here. Let me get some more definite options on the Classic together for that, too, and we'll ask for input on all fronts. Lots to finalize here in the next few weeks and then it's time to roll out the NFFC for 2012.

Good discussion this week and I think we're moving forward on all fronts. Thanks for the input all.

[ February 11, 2012, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

weber7777

Post by weber7777 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Silver and Black:
Maybe an email blast saying that these important issues are being discussed on the MB and that "their" input would be considered and appreciated might drive folks here? Might be a way to bring more people into the loop and spur dialogue in the off season? Doesn't cost anything to do and it could be a good follow up to your most recent survey. Thanking them for their time and inviting them to have a say in the direction of the game? Yes, we can definitely send out an NFFC newsletter this week with this info and ask for more feedback from more of our members. I'm sure many of them aren't even aware of this discussion here. Let me get some more definite options on the Classic together for that, too, and we'll ask for input on all fronts. Lots to finalize here in the next few weeks and then it's time to roll out the NFFC for 2012.

Good discussion this week and I think we're moving forward on all fronts. Thanks for the input all.
[/QUOTE]2 waiver wire periods period that is my vote those voting against that just don't want to put in work . If I'm investing thousands of dollars I want what is fair and reasonable and one waiver period starts putting more luck factor in the game which is not the best way to go .
Check out fantasy football blog

www.weberfantasyfootball.com

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Originally posted by weber:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by Silver and Black:

[/QUOTE]2 waiver wire periods period that is my vote those voting against that just don't want to put in work . If I'm investing thousands of dollars I want what is fair and reasonable and one waiver period starts putting more luck factor in the game which is not the best way to go .
[/QUOTE]when you say 2 ww clarify what one. if you have two FULL ww on wed and fri it is just like having ONE cause all the guys you want will be gone and fri will be for late injury where as wed ww for just thurs games gives us more time and make wed far less important in half the games.

[ February 11, 2012, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: THE_BLACKHAND ]
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 am

I haven't seen this wrinkle discussed, so I apologize if I just missed it.

If we go with a Thurs-game-only FAAB on Wed. night, then the other up to 30 teams on Fri. night, on exactly what day of the week will the software allow us to start creating bids for the FRIDAY one? I ask because the way the software works now, I can start putting actual bids on the site on Tues (or Mon?). Then throughout the week, I can keep adding more. This allowed for a full four days of bidding on the website (as opposed to researching and tracking our notes in other docs).

With a split FAAB, will the software be modified to allow us to separate our Wed. bids from Fri. bids, so that we don't inadvertently put in a claim like this:
1) Top choice player who is playing on Sun
2) 2nd choice player playing on Thur.
3-n) Others

If we don't have some indication that our 2nd choice player is playing on Thurs and we put in a bid like this, we could very well find ourselves with our 2nd choice player just because he was available during the early-week FAAB. So to protect ourselves, we'd probably have to do the research for up to 30 teams whose players will be available in the Fri FAAB, but document that research in spreadsheets, word processing docs, etc. because we wouldn't want to enter any mixed-gameday bids on the site. So we'd either have to do that extra work (upfront research + Thu/Fri only bid creation) or just not start our research until Thurs, leaving only 2 days. Of course, even now, once the Thurs. games kicked in, this only gave us two full days (Tues/Wed) to create/edit our bids. So in the end, maybe 2 days = 2 days, so BFD? I just don't think this is how most fantasy players would want to do their research?

Or am I missing something that makes this irrelevant?

[ February 12, 2012, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:03 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
I haven't seen this wrinkle discussed, so I apologize if I just missed it.

If we go with a Thurs-game-only FAAB on Wed. night, then the other up to 30 teams on Fri. night, on exactly what day of the week will the software allow us to start creating bids for the FRIDAY one? I ask because the way the software works now, I can start putting actual bids on the site on Tues (or Mon?). Then throughout the week, I can keep adding more. This allowed for a full four days of bidding on the website (as opposed to researching and tracking our notes in other docs).

With a split FAAB, will the software be modified to allow us to separate our Wed. bids from Fri. bids, so that we don't inadvertently put in a claim like this:
1) Top choice player who is playing on Sun
2) 2nd choice player playing on Thur.
3-n) Others

If we don't have some indication that our 2nd choice player is playing on Thurs and we put in a bid like this, we could very well find ourselves with our 2nd choice player just because he was available during the early-week FAAB. So to protect ourselves, we'd probably have to do the research for up to 30 teams whose players will be available in the Fri FAAB, but document that research in spreadsheets, word processing docs, etc. because we wouldn't want to enter any mixed-gameday bids on the site. So we'd either have to do that extra work (upfront research + Thu/Fri only bid creation) or just not start our research until Thurs, leaving only 2 days. Of course, even now, once the Thurs. games kicked in, this only gave us two full days (Tues/Wed) to create/edit our bids. So in the end, maybe 2 days = 2 days, so BFD? I just don't think this is how most fantasy players would want to do their research?

Or am I missing something that makes this irrelevant? I have thought about this as well. One possible solution would be to run the waivers like this:

1) Wednesday 9pm ET deadline for Thursday players. System would be configured so that only players who are playing on Thursday would be eligible for pickup. All other bids would be rejected.

2) Saturday 12pm ET deadline for Sunday/Monday players. Anyone waived on Wednesday night would be restricted from pickup. It would probably also make sense to make Thursday players locked, both incoming (free agents) and outgoing (already owned).

This would give owners from Wednesday at approximately 9:30pm ET (or whenever the first bids run) until Saturday mid-day to make their primary pickups for the week. That's three nights -- and a full slate of practice reports -- to make almost all of your roster moves for the week.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:47 am

I'm not sure of the ramifications of moving waivers to Sat, tho I'd bet this has been discussed before. There must be reasons it's always been on Fri and not Sat? Those reasons may still apply.

Would this make it even more flexible, Glenn? Code the software to allow us to separate our Wed bids from Fri bids. Have an option button near the top of the bidding screen that allows us to toggle the view to either Wed or Fri Bid Period. When we select one, all of our existing bids are filtered to just that day's FAAB and all players available are limited to just that period's available ones.

That would allow us to enter bids all week for either bid period.

So let's say I need a WR this week. I put in a Wed. bid for one or more WRs who are playing Thurs. Then I toggle the button for Bid Period to Friday's waiver. I add several other WRs from the weekend games, specifying to drop the same player I specified for the Wed. FAAB run. If I get the player I wanted from the Wed. FAAB, then as long as I had set my Fri. bids to drop the same player, I wouldn't even have to go in and remove those bids. If I don't get a Thurs. player on Wed., then my bids are already in place for the Fri. run (and of course I can still edit them as desired until FAAB runs).

Make sense?

[ February 12, 2012, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]