Is it time for PPR across the board?

renman

Post by renman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:57 am

I also think the dramaticly unpredictable draft boards requires fantasy players be more skilled. Many people went into their drafts this weekend with a plan that got blown up in a matter of minutes and they were forced to change course. To me, that is the best fantasy football skill to try to identify if we are to be considered a premier event and test.

We all remember back in the day just shouting out the same sequence of RB names and whoever had the players who performed the best won. Now there are so many different ways to try to build a team and the NFFC format is the reason. Now people can reach for the players they want regardless of what others think is a good move. I like it this way personally.

jimchristie

Post by jimchristie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:09 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by jimchristie:
Why would you make a rule that would put 1 position that much more dominant over another? Pretty stupid... you mean kickers and defenses are being drafted in the first couple rounds. i musta missed that! [/QUOTE]Thank you.
[/QUOTE]You're my hero.....

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:26 am

I started this thread and would definitely favor PPR across the board but if it doesn't happen this is still the best contest out there.

I could see the day when this contest is dominated by early WR's the way the old contests used to be dominated by early RB's. I know it's not needed yet but it's just my personal preference. There is no right or wrong here.

Wayne

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:27 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Just Russ:
quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Just Russ:
[qb] I don't feel like giving 1PPR would alloe them to dominate here. I feel like it would make the 2 or 3 parts of a RBBC worth starting and competitive.
[/QUOTE]Hello Russ....

I'm going to respond to this post with my last thoughts on this subject (no promises)....

I think the reason most who are posting in favor of 1-PPR for running backs believe that there is a movement towards WR's becoming more valuable in this format and are trying to stem the tide of those at the back of the draft going WR/WR or WR/WR/WR or even WR/WR/WR/WR.

The problem in my mind with this reasoning is that I believe it would have the exact OPPOSITE effect.

With the format currently in place, I believe the most valuable player is still the full time 3-down back who gobbles up tons of yardage and scores TD's. Its the rarest player in fantasy football right now and gives teams with those players a distinct advantage at RB1 over teams who don't have one. That's why a Michael Turner or Deangelo Williams are still 1st round picks and AP is still the acknowledged #1 even though they don't catch many passes.

Right now, as I stated in an earlier post, those going WR heavy in earlier rounds have to roll the dice on RBBC players later in the draft. If we gave a full point per reception for RB's, it makes those mid-round backs like Bush or DMC or even Leon Washington, Felix Jones, etc. even more valuable, thus lessening the risk in waiting on RB for one of them.
Think about it....these backs are not going in the first couple rounds anyway, whether half or full PPR. If the gap between a Turner and a Felix Jones can be lessened by increasing the value of a RBBC player, the WR/WR teams would be even more resolute in their strategy of waiting on RB because their risk is reduced.

I will once again state that I believe that the 14-team format, KDS/3RR, 1/2 PPR for RB's, and 6 PT/TD for QB's has created a great balance for all positions and has increased the strategy in this contest when compared to those without it.
I'd have to say that in my opinion, those that succeed at this format have done it with more skill and less luck than other formats (not to resurrect another thread please).

Again just one rookie's thoughts,
Glenn
[/QUOTE]And Glenn I appreciate your thoughtful post. I would argue that if those "mid-round" RBs would not be mid-round if the scoring was 1 PPR for RBs. Then they'd hold more value thus pushing down more quality WRs into the draft.

As for KJ's comment, not sure if it's directed at me, but i'm very happy with my draft results. I'm arguing on the side of strategy on the whole within a draft.

But, I do like how you throw jabs at whomever just because they are offering an opinion. But carry on, as you seem to have the market cornered on the subtleties of rules. I can't wait for more pontification!
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:29 am

Originally posted by jimchristie:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by jimchristie:
Why would you make a rule that would put 1 position that much more dominant over another? Pretty stupid... you mean kickers and defenses are being drafted in the first couple rounds. i musta missed that! [/QUOTE]Thank you.
[/QUOTE]You're my hero.....
[/QUOTE]Welcome to the boards!

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 am

QB]
If the trend towards specialized RBs continues, we are going to see drafts where it's 70% WRs or more. [/QB]That statement is beyond ridiculous.

70% = 10 out of 14..

List the top two rounds.

I want to see you list 20 WR's taken in the first 28 picks as an example to support your ridiculous notion that is killing your side of the argument.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:53 am

Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
QB]
If the trend towards specialized RBs continues, we are going to see drafts where it's 70% WRs or more. That statement is beyond ridiculous.

70% = 10 out of 14..

List the top two rounds.

I want to see you list 20 WR's taken in the first 28 picks as an example to support your ridiculous notion that is killing your side of the argument. [/QB][/QUOTE]The ridiculous part is where you can't comprehend "are going to see" as meaning future tense. Have a nice day!

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:29 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
I started this thread and would definitely favor PPR across the board but if it doesn't happen this is still the best contest out there.

I could see the day when this contest is dominated by early WR's the way the old contests used to be dominated by early RB's. I know it's not needed yet but it's just my personal preference. There is no right or wrong here.

Wayne Wayne , You Sly Fox , I just got it .... you really had no problem with the RULES , you just wanted toget everyone drafting philosophy for tonight :D

VERY CLEVER ;)

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THIS , THE RULES DON'T MAKE A SPIT OF DIFFERENCE WHEN IT COMES TO GIVING SOMEONE AN EDGE.

AS LONG AS EVERYONE IS PLAYING BY THE SAME RULES , YOU COULD GIVE OR TAKE AWAY POINTS FOR ANYTHING.

BOTTOM LINE IF THE RULES ARE THE AME FOR EVERYONE , THAN THE MANAGER THAT THAT WORKS THOSE RULE THE BEST , WINS :cool:

THE ONLY TIME RULES GIVE AN ADVANTAGE TO SOMEONE , IS WHEN THERE ARE ONE SET OF RULES FOR ONE PERSON AND ONE SET OF RULES FOR ANOTHER PERSON.

AFETR READING ALL THESE POST , I HATE TO BEAT A DEAD HORSE , BUT I THINK GREG AND TOM HAVE FIGURED OUT THE BEST SET OF RULES FOR A GREAT CONTEST. THATS WHY THIS IS THE BEST SHOW IN TOWN , AND THATS WHY THEY GET PAID THE BIG BUCKS :D
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:50 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:

I could see the day when this contest is dominated by early WR's the way the old contests used to be dominated by early RB's. I know it's not needed yet but it's just my personal preference. There is no right or wrong here. Wayne Wayne - it's a good topic for discussion, and an inevitable debate given the shifting sand. I also agree for most it comes down to personal preference. Strictly as a player, I don't care much either way, I'll adjust draft strategy accordingly.

However, the 0.5ppr is unique to the NFFC and the original purpose (to create greater scoring balance) was well thought out and still is valid, which is why I like the rule as is for this contest.

I don't think changing the ppr adds anything strategic or otherwise to the contest - unlike prior changes, all of which made the contest better (KDS, 3RR, improved defensive scoring and opening up the playoff format). Reminds me of the OBP versus BA debate in baseball ... change just isn't necessary.

[ September 07, 2009, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by FantasyFactor:
QB]
If the trend towards specialized RBs continues, we are going to see drafts where it's 70% WRs or more. That statement is beyond ridiculous.

70% = 10 out of 14..

List the top two rounds.

I want to see you list 20 WR's taken in the first 28 picks as an example to support your ridiculous notion that is killing your side of the argument.
[/QUOTE]The ridiculous part is where you can't comprehend "are going to see" as meaning future tense. Have a nice day! [/QB][/QUOTE]16 RB's in first 28 in my main. 2 QB's. 10 WR's.

0% chance of 70% WR's at any time in the future.

Most teams have a second RB getting a serviceable amount of points already.

C.Taylor, Sproles, J.Stewart, L.White are backing up first round RB's right now.

WR's *might* pass RB 14-12 some day, but that's 50% at best.
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.