Having input in draft slot selection

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:15 pm

I like the notion, in general... how about this variant (Gekko, still achieves what you're looking for, right?)

You put in a bid of how much of your FA budget you are willing to spend and you rank your preferred draft positions from 1-14.

This is all done pre-league draw - or pre knowledge of league draw.

So, I might input this data to the system:

$122

The leagues are drawn and then the bids are pulled with the highest bid getting preference in their order. In this case, maybe my $122 bid is the 10th highest in the league, but I end up with my 4th choice anyway because nobody else wanted it.

This variance and the blind process can eliminate the 'real' chance of collusion.

This would be a great amount of fun IMHO, and any objections have not yet been met by anything a little thought and creativity can't counter.

I see no perception of collusion here, John. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Dave
The Wonderful thing about Dyv's is I'm the only one!

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:21 pm

This reminds me of when I stopped playing Strat-o-matic. They kept on adding more and more crap to make it more "realistic" that it became too much.
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:26 pm

Originally posted by UFS:
quote:Originally posted by nnoy:
(2) it would open this thing up to collusion.As a game operator, this is why it will never be done. Very good point. [/QUOTE]it's probably a mistake when you agree with nnoy.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:34 pm

After reading this entire thread I can't resist throwing in my two cents even though I promised myself yesterday no more wasting time argueing with complete idiots on the message boards. My tolerance for ignorance went shot with the roster size thread. Three thoughts:
(1) NNOY, the Draft Champions experiment, joke or stupidity?
(2) Possibility of collusion is miniscule with blind bidding as there are no guarantees to get the spot with using all of your FA money. If people will bid $1000 on Lamar Gordon, what makes you think they won't be dumb enough to do it for the #1 pick?
(3)NFL injuries make the idea of collusion even more risky. Whose to say Holmes, LT, Green, etc. won't be next and to be honest with you, out of the 3 drafts I had from the #2, #8, and #10 spots, my best draft was by far from the #8 spot.

I don't have an opinion one way or another on this idea because a lot can be said for integrity and perception. My partner and I found that out in Draft Champions as the team next to us just happened to take the guy we discussed and targeted four times. Greg's answer to us was there has to be a line drawn on trust. With Greg's confidence and integrity in this business, if anyone can make this idea work, it's him.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:38 pm

Originally posted by I Cojones:
This reminds me of when I stopped playing Strat-o-matic. They kept on adding more and more crap to make it more "realistic" that it became too much. if being more fun and exciting is "too much", maybe we should call you Grinch or Mr. Grinch from now on. thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Originally posted by skipman:
Two points,

1. Indy, It was my team that picked up Culpepper from the #3 slot.

2. NNoy, I would expect that a larger cranium like yours would be able to look at a map and figure out that West Virginia may be closer to Central Indiana than Odenton. I would also expect you to realize that central Indiana is not an improvement over West Virginia. I know where you are skip. It's well accepted Baltimore / WV = same difference.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:05 pm

2. NNoy, I would expect that a larger cranium like yours would be able to look at a map and figure out that West Virginia may be closer to Central Indiana than Odenton. I would also expect you to realize that central Indiana is not an improvement over West Virginia.I grew up in Baltimore and worked 6 weeks in Crawfordsville, IN. so I can speak authoritatively on this when I say until you've partied in Central Indiana, don't knock it or insult it by relating it to WV. Now if you want to blast Chicago, have at it. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:14 pm

Quick note with respect to people playing games with a hint of collusion being able to sustain business...

Check out the leaderboard for the CDM games published in Sports Weekly---you will always see the same guy holding down multiple top spots. This is not collusion because it is legal, but it skews your chance to win and plenty of people still play. This is especially true in the playoff versions where you choose players from the team you expect to win, then enter a few teams each loaded with players of the other teams you expect to make it. Assuming you are right with the first team, you are bound to win your league as each of the teams is stocked with players from one team, racking up the points.

I am not complaining about people doing this, just pointing out that hoards of people pour their $$$ into CDMs pocket every year with these quirks in the games.

That said, with something of this magnitude, the anacronym KISS applies--keep it simple stupid.

And that said, perhaps this idea can be used on a trial basis with a league connected to NFFC. You know, like if an outspoken NFFC member has the sack to get a challenge league named in his honor. Anyone know of such a character? This way, the idea is still associated with the NFFC.

lichtman

Post by lichtman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:28 pm

Is it really more fun and exciting to add this "strategy" to the game. Why stop here? Let's do bidding on what teams people want to play and in what weeks (I bid $1000 to play team #1 in Priest's bye week). Although that would give NNOY a huge advantage, it would add strategy to the game.

Lets let people bid for what other teams will be in their league (I bid $1000 to be in the league with that guy who picked Buckhalter last year!). Lets let people bid for how many flex players they can use in a particular week. Lets let people bid for what time their lineup locks. Lets let people bid for the ability to make a second free agent pick up in a given week. Lets let people bid to double the score of one player in a given week. Lets let people bid to make RB receptions worth 1 full point. Lets let people bid to add extra draft picks.

All of these things (even the ridiculous ones) would add an extra element of strategy to the game, so why not?

This is a league that is trying to attract more people to play next year than played this year. The nerds who like this sort of thing have already signed up. Everyone else wants fantasy football that looks a lot like what they have been playing for the last ten years.

Why do you thing the Draft Masters (tradmark) and auction leagues don't attract the same number of entrants as the traditional league?

[ September 28, 2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: I Cojones ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

FatPerez

Post by FatPerez » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:33 pm

Tamu, I once visited family in Gary, Indiana. That, however, was not a "party" I wish to ever crash again. I'll stick to Southern Cali'. There's nothing like Stage 3 Smog Alerts, drive-by shootings, earthquakes, and Mexican girls in the summer.
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."- Conan the Cimmerian