Give Us Some Feedback On The Live Drafts

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:49 am

Here’s my dream scenario for baseball:

Draft the same weekend as the MLB season kicks off (unless it is Easter)
Friday 10am auction
Friday 4pm Main Event I
Saturday 10am Main Event II
Saturday 4pm Main Event III

Want to fill each of the three main event time slots listed above?
Offer a $100,000 grand prize for each time slot.
Cap registration at 390 teams for each session.
Offer anyone purchasing three main event teams 10% off list price or offer them a free online championship team.

As someone said, build it and they’ll come!

[ September 17, 2009, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko II ]

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 am

The draft the week before is perfect for the serious fantasy player,many do wcoff and the nffc and choosing one would hurt both events.Also the savy fantasy owner will always have the edge over a newbie or the guy who isnt as in to it as the serious owner a week before kickoff.Food would help as there wasnt any at the main event.On friday the pizza was huge as my son Grant and myself didnt have to leave the building.Drink tickets always help as i dont want to have to pay 10 buck's for two soda's.Ryan did throw us a couple tickets for primetime.The entire event was awesome but some food would be nice so you could stay and hang out with everyone talking football.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:56 am

Make Draft Champion formats more meaningful with one of two options:
Option 1 – Have each team play another team H2H each week with the Draft Champions format in tact. For the NFFC Classic, you would have a 13 week regular season. The top 2 overall point teams and then the next two teams with the best H2H record, make the playoffs (week 14-16). To determine the prize winners, add each team’s avg regular season score to the points they score in week 14, 15 and 16.

Option 2 – Have a regular draft champions format for the first 13 weeks of the season. The top 4 overall point teams make the playoffs (week 14-16). To determine the prize winners, add each team’s avg regular season score to the points they score in week 14, 15 and 16.

Still the DC structure (computer selects optimal lineup), but adds H2H (which many people, not including me, like) to the equation.

Either way, it’s 100% more exciting than the current setup, esp towards the end of the season.

[ September 17, 2009, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko II ]

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 am

I assume you are looking for candid responses…If you’re looking for growth and more market share, scrap the 14 team event and go to a 12 team only event with multiple times slots over draft weekend to draft in the main event (or even two or three separate main events).

Most potential new customers are playing in 8, 10 or 12 team leagues. It’s a HUGE leap of faith for them to jump into a 14 team league, where injuries (and/or a less than stellar draft) can cripple your chances of winning much more quickly than in a 12 team league.

There’s a reason why you started a 12 team Primetime main event last year. There’s also a reason why you made the online championship a 12 team event and got over 500 signups IN YOUR FIRST YEAR!!! :cool:

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
I assume you are looking for candid responses…If you’re looking for growth and more market share, scrap the 14 team event and go to a 12 team only event with multiple times slots over draft weekend to draft in the main event (or even two or three separate main events).
Mark,

I agree the 14 teamer is a bit foreign to a new player, a 14 teamer requires more skill than a 12 teamer (just like a 12 more than 10 and so on), but most importantly, it is what DEFINES the NFFC (along with KDS and 3RR). I play in the NFFC because of the 14 teamer, NOT the 12 teamer.

There are no other 14 team high stakes contests out there, and I think the NFFC is proud of being the only contest to offer a doubleheader on the same day.

If the NFFC loses the 14 teamer, you will see a good portion of their customers go also.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I'm not going to get into all your points as we ALL are drafting with the same info. Some of your points are valid, some are not, IMO.

The biggest problem is that you have two other "major" high stakes games that weekend. Now people will have to choose, and there are a LIMITED number of people in this country who are willing to throw up $1,300 - $1,700 to play fantasy football.

Honestly, as big of a fan that you are of the "dual flex", where would you play next year if NFFC and FFPC were going on simultaneously??? :eek:

Having the Labor Day weekend ALL TO YOURSELF is a GOOD thing!!! :D don't be silly. we ALL have the same info on August 1st as well. Draft might as well be held that weekend.

King of Queens posted reminder after reminder of how quickly things change when you have the draft one week before the season starts and before the 53 man cuts are made. Tke a look at his posts for a reminder. KoQ doesn't forget ANYTHING!!! :D
[/QUOTE]Im not saying that things can change quickly in that week, but they also change ALL SEASON!!

All I am saying is the risk of moving it to a weekend where you already have a 900+ high stakes event, and a 225+ high stakes event is NOT WORTH moving it back a weekend just so people can have a bit more info.

We all would like to have as much info as possible going into the draft, but it just would be a bad business decision on the NFFC's part to move it back when they OWN Labor Day weekend, and go up against two other high stakes contests just so people could know a little more than they do a week before.

As for your example of Wes Welker people STILL didn't know what was up with him 1 week later!! ;)

[ September 17, 2009, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:33 am

one of the things that drew me to the format this year was 14 teams. yes, it requires more skill... but to some degree everyone playing in a high stakes fantasy league at least THINKS they have skill.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
]Mark,

I agree the 14 teamer is a bit foreign to a new player, a 14 teamer requires more skill than a 12 teamer (just like a 12 more than 10 and so on), but most importantly, it is what DEFINES the NFFC (along with KDS and 3RR). I play in the NFFC because of the 14 teamer, NOT the 12 teamer.

There are no other 14 team high stakes contests out there, and I think the NFFC is proud of being the only contest to offer a doubleheader on the same day.

If the NFFC loses the 14 teamer, you will see a good portion of their customers go also. it's a bit odd then for the nffc to choose the 12 team format as their online championship is it not? why not 14?

listen, i'm not saying the 14 teamer is a bad event, i prefaced my comments with (if you want to grow). i like the 14 teamer (just not as much as 12 team formats).

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:57 am

moving it to a weekend where you already have a 900+ high stakes event, and a 225+ high stakes event i don't know, but to me, that sounds like the time people want to draft, no?

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 am

As for your example of Wes Welker people STILL didn't know what was up with him 1 week later!! ;) okay, i'll take jones-drew for $1,000, Alex! :D