NFFC FAAB Deadline Update

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:22 am

Okay, we have fully tested the FAAB setup and we definitely could move the FAAB deadline to Fridays even with the Thursday game(s) being played beforehand. Technically, we know we can handle the player pool with one or more games already being played that week.

However, our current rules for all games have our FAAB deadline moving to Wednesdays starting with Week 10 and continuing that way through Week 13. I certainly understand the sentiment above in keeping the rules intact and not making a change mid-season. Still, I'd love to discuss the merits of considering this change and at the very least discussing this change for 2012 and beyond.

So again, we technically can handle Friday FAAB after one or more games have been played on Thursday. The only stipulations with that are:

** Any player involved in the add that already played on Thursday wouldn't show on your active roster until the following week. You'd be able to pick him up, but obviously not play him until the following week.

** More importantly, though, would be this stipulation: Any player involved in the drop that played on Thursday would push the entire move into the following week. So you couldn't DROP anyone who played on Thursday unless you didn't mind that transaction also showing up on your active roster the following week. It would go through, but that player wouldn't be active until the following week. So even if you picked up a player on Friday that is playing Sunday, but dropped a player that already played Thursday night, then that added player can't be used that current week because the dropped player already played.

That all makes sense but I'm concerned about getting the word out accurately to everyone involved this year. That has me leaning towards keeping the process in place as the rules state for 2011 and discussing the merits of changing our format for 2012. And yes, we could have just a Wednesday FAAB deadline before the three Thanksgiving games if we stuck with the Friday FAAB deadlines the rest of the year. That takes a little more programming, but it's doable.

So let me know your thoughts on this and we'll go from there. We do not want two FAAB periods per week during these early start dates, but with the NFL likely going to Thursday games year-round starting in 2013 or 2014, it makes sense to look at all of our options and plan together. Let me know your thoughts on all of this and we'll make smart decisions. Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 am

I'm as big a proponent of changing the current set-up as anyone. That said, I think you've got to leave things alone for 2011. As Ken pointed out, if even one person doesn't get the message regarding the change, it will be a mistake.

The every-week-Thursday games are coming, and this needs to be addressed for next year. Let's make it happen for 2012.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:36 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
I'm as big a proponent of changing the current set-up as anyone. That said, I think you've got to leave things alone for 2011. As Ken pointed out, if even one person doesn't get the message regarding the change, it will be a mistake.

The every-week-Thursday games are coming, and this needs to be addressed for next year. Let's make it happen for 2012. My feeling exactly. But let's discuss the merits of doing this in 2012 and whether this makes better sense than just doing what we're doing now. Is FAAB better on Friday's all year except before Thanksgiving or are Wednesdays better even if that means for all season with regular Thursday games?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:44 am

Greg, just for clarity: are Wednesday pickups ONLY for Thursday game(s) (and Fridays for everyone else) off the table?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:48 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Greg, just for clarity: are Wednesday pickups ONLY for Thursday game(s) (and Fridays for everyone else) off the table? No, I'm asking for us to decide FAAB for 2012:

1. Just as we have it now, Friday FAAB until we move it to Wednesday before the Thursday NFL games; or

2. Friday FAAB all year long except moving it to Wednesday before the Thanksgiving Games

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:54 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
Greg, just for clarity: are Wednesday pickups ONLY for Thursday game(s) (and Fridays for everyone else) off the table? No, I'm asking for us to decide FAAB for 2012:

1. Just as we have it now, Friday FAAB until we move it to Wednesday before the Thursday NFL games; or

2. Friday FAAB all year long except moving it to Wednesday before the Thanksgiving Games
[/QUOTE]I feel everyone must have the opportunity to bid on all available players every week. If Detriot played on Thursday this week NO NFFC players would have the opportunity to pick up Morris or Williams if available in their leagues to play this week. What if this senerio is week 13. A lot of money on the line, entire seasons, playoff spots. I don't understand in a high stakes contest how this is even a consideration. Just Wednesdays might suck, but no players are left off the table.

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:01 am

any reason why we can't do two faab when the games start on thrusdays?

most of the time the injury reports don't come out until thrusday or even friday. hard to gage on who you want to pick up and drop on wed.....

just my opinion but i like two faab periods....

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:23 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Option 2 please.

We just don't have enough information on Wednesdays to make informed decisions. I would rather have an issue with one Thursday night game rather than guessing on 15 Sunday and Monday games.

Wayne

[ October 20, 2011, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Coltsfan ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:26 am

Originally posted by thegambler:
any reason why we can't do two faab when the games start on thrusdays?

most of the time the injury reports don't come out until thrusday or even friday. hard to gage on who you want to pick up and drop on wed.....

just my opinion but i like two faab periods.... We can do anything the masses want. If this is really what the majority wants, we technically can do it. If folks just want one FAAB period, we can do it on Wednesdays or Fridays or a mix. That's what this discussion is for. What I'm saying is that technically we're good to do what's best for the future of this contest, especially with the knowledge that the NFL will have Thursday games every week likely starting in 2013 or '14. Keep the discussion going and I'll follow it.

particra

Post by particra » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

[/QUOTE]Option 2 please.

We just don't have enough information on Wednesdays to make informed decisions. I would rather have an issue with one Thursday night game rather than guessing on 15 Sunday and Monday games.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]agreed