And then we have fantasy football

Sandman62

Re: And then we have fantasy football

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:24 am

Don Draper wrote:Although, Greg did say, "In fantasy football, the goal is to top your league mates after 13 weeks and then hope and pray that your players get hot for 3 weeks.
I don't recall what year, maybe 2010 (for which the final standings aren't available online), but... I seem to recall a recent Classic season where the bottom playoff seed in scoring went on to win the 3-week playoff round. I thought that team had made the playoffs via H2H record too.

Greg/Tom, do you still have that data accessible? Just curious.

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:13 am

I think maybe you caught mark on a bad day or maybe he just had his head ready for the draft . I met mark in 2005 in chicago right after him and emma just picked up there $100,000 check for football . he was in my league in main event baseball . i thought it was cool checking out that big check .i thimk he picked 5th me and my friend picked 8th . he seemed VERY NICE to me . we ask him about there winning team in football . i remember him telling us about getting brady late and this was a key to winning .so to say someone is a jerk , you are way off . a very nice and well informed guy as far as i could see . maybe it was you that came across as a jerk and got treated as such or like i said before maybe he was pumped for the draft . i know i get that way before drafts . my girl friend don't want to come into the same room when i'm drafting .so chill out you have him all wrong . mark d

particra

Post by particra » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:03 am

Don Draper wrote:
JETS SB wrote: He is wrong, plain and simple. Comparing it to slot machine luck is just trying to stir the pot, but, what's knew.
why do you keep dodging the questions i put forth to you?
1. why only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in eight years
2. why has the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC never made the Top 10 overall

If skill is such a key component, how could these things happen? how is this stirring the pot? these are the actual results. please point to actual results that show the Championship round is not a slot machine.

Not many people are answering it. Although, Greg did say, "In fantasy football, the goal is to top your league mates after 13 weeks and then hope and pray that your players get hot for 3 weeks. The most skilled player can finish outside the Top 10 in fantasy football, just like the most skilled poker player can lose at any time in a big tournament."

"Hope and Pray" is really the only thing a lot of people pulling the lever are doing (even JETS SB grandma)! :twisted:

Who has argued that the championship round is anything but something like a slot machine? You're arguing against imaginary people. It's something like 40x more random than a baseball championship since you're using 4 "days" worth of games instead of 162. Everyone knows this but everyone still plays. Getting there is a different story.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:52 am

I agree with a previous poster that Mark's a good guy.
I also agree with another previous poster that Mark enjoys stirring the pot. ;)

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:36 pm

Glenneration X wrote:I agree with a previous poster that Mark's a good guy.
I also agree with another previous poster that Mark enjoys stirring the pot. ;)

My opinion of Mark is that he likes to get a rise out of people on the message board and in person he is one of the nicest guys I have met.....
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Hey, I just told you a TRUE story of when my son met him. You make your own conclusions. I don't know the man and don't care to know the man.. all I know is, I have seen YEARS of his antics including trying to cover up his indentity for competitive reasons, say things on the boards that make huge waves, and now, as he has done in this thread, thrown fantasy football under the bus, by comparing it to slot machines and blackjack, which cannot do any good for Greg and Tom and the further expansion of the NFFC. Not that one "man" really has that much power, HSFF is already at a crossroads with the crash and burn of WCOFF and a much smaller amount of live drafters. Now, we have a self worshipping, "respected" player, speaking out of obvious frustration, lowering the worth of HSFF to a "slot machine" status.

He has a right to say whatever he wants. I have a right to say what I think of his antics. It was old 3 years ago. Now, its just annoying and possibly detrimental. Say what you want Mark... you lost my respect years ago... this just further justifies my beliefs.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Dude,

You seriously think the opinion of one guy on a message board read by a few dozen die-hards is going to make the slightest impact on HSFF? What are you eleven? Guy can have whatever opinion he likes - the people that read this are not going to be swayed one way or another - let the man vent if he wishes.

Fantasy Football is not a living thing, it has no feelings to hurt bro ..... Relax.

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:45 pm

few things :

1- mark is a respected player in the fantasy game
2- in real life he is a good guy.
3- i think the luck factor is a plus for greg and tom. more people should sign up as ANYONE has the chance to win up tp 150k
4- this doesn't cause a wave unless you let it bother you.
5- one person does not sway the entire mass of people that play here.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:09 pm

As has been said before... There is more luck involved in fantasy football than baseball. Skill is STILL more important in fantasy football than is luck. Luck does impact results in fantasy baseball. They are different animals. Every year frustration boils over for someone who wants to feel like they can control the results when they think on paper they have the best team before the season starts or on any given week in any given match up...

Then the games get played and some unpredictable stuff happens. That is what fuels a thread like this or a viewpoint that fantasy football is all about luck. The football season comes on the heels of a long, grinding fantasy baseball season... then you blink your eyes and you are in week 4 of your fantasy football season and some people get frustrated.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:21 am

The Franchise wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: I also agree with another previous poster that Mark enjoys stirring the pot. ;)

My opinion of Mark is that he likes to get a rise out of people on the message board ....
I believe the rest of the interwebs refer to these type of people as "Trolls".