Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

got heeem

Re: Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Post by got heeem » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:08 am

Nothing to do with football,but I also would like to add that NFBC letting the person that came up with the rules/scoring to a new game, play in it the first year was bad.I will never play Baseball Cutline again.Should have been a lockout for year 1 for anyone making the rules/scoring up.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:58 am

heem - Here is the scoring system. Please explain how the person that came up with this has an explicit edge over someone else that can read and calculate simple formulas? Also, since you played in it and are obviously doing poorly ... what did you screw-up that you would've avoided if you created the scoring ?

SCORING
Home Run: 6 points
Stolen Base: 5 points
Hit: 4 points
Run: 2 points
RBI: 2 points
At-bat: -1 point
Win: 6 points
Save: 6 points
Inning Pitched: 3 points
Strikeout: 1 point
Hit or Walk Allowed: -1 point
Earned Run Allowed: -2 points

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 pm

hammer wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:I have talked with IT about this and moving to our old way of one FAAB on a Friday is doable, but changing to include cuts from the Thursday Night Game won't be a quick fix. We are looking into everything, but again it's not something we have planned right now and we already have a lot to complete before the season starts.

So the question is: Does a Friday-only FAAB that doesn't allow you to cut players from the Thursday games become more of a negative than a positive? In other words, if we can't finish one part of this does it make sense to stay with two FAAB periods?

I'm definitely not against a Friday-only FAAB. I think we all may have over-reacted to the one Thursday Night Game per week and how it's drastically changed your work week with all of your teams. But throwing out this change and not being able to program a key aspect of this request needs to be analyzed. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Greg, not sure why IT has difficulties with cutting players from the Thursday games (again, that would be optimal) but since that's the deal then put me down as someone who definitely wants two (2) FAABs. The only possible compromise/tweak I see past those realities remains what Erok said about moving the deadlines back to 11:59PM
Yeah, I hear ya Matt. With our current setup it's a lengthy programming change and I would never consider one FAAB without that Thursday change. Unless I can be guaranteed of that soon -- which likely won't happen -- it would be hard to make any change to FAAB. In fact, we're probably getting too late at this point anyway for Rules changes.

I do hear folks on the FAAB deadline change. I have no problem making it later if the majority agrees. I just don't want East Coast folks staying up until midnight to make last minute changes, but that probably happens less in football than baseball where games have happened during the day. But an hour or two later is certainly a possible change if it helps the game.

Hope this helps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:47 pm

[quote="kjduke

• The contest surpassed all estimates for signups using THIS scoring system and will no doubt be a staple NFBC contest going forward, and probably the highest growth contest for the next several years. IMO it would've been a disaster with DFS scoring which I don't need to re-hash here as it's been explained. That said, several things need tweaking: (1) scoring for closers is too low (which I raised in the pre-season, but it was too late to change), and (2) roster expansion, which made even the limited # of FAABs far too time-consuming. I suspect both issues will be revised next season.

Why would you go forth with the scoring,KNOWING THE SCORING FOR CLOSERS IS TO LOW.As stated by the one who came up with the scoring ? YOU.So you knew from the get go not to draft closers or as few as possible.I'm sure if we checked your top teams there are VERY few closers.Gives you a plus right away.

Money

Post by Money » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:49 pm

got heeem wrote:Nothing to do with football,but I also would like to add that NFBC letting the person that came up with the rules/scoring to a new game, play in it the first year was bad.I will never play Baseball Cutline again.Should have been a lockout for year 1 for anyone making the rules/scoring up.
The real issue for me was that it was portrayed as a scoring system (by the NFBC) that would mimic the value of all players equal to or as close as possible to the rotisserie game that we currently play. In my mind I thought that was impossible and decided not to attempt to figure out the way to play it. Time has told us that it does not mimic values and positions equally. I have no first hand knowledge of this but have friends that have played and passed along their observations.

Allowing the designer of the scoring system to play is very similar to the daily game allowing their programmers to play their own games or other games with the knowledge of the public playing pool perceptions. I can assure you that that these would be my thoughts no matter who designed the scoring system.

We can call it what we want but they appear to have a winner as it was very popular.
Joe

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:59 pm

We will see ??? Duke stated above he knew the closers value and scoring was out of wack.Would have been a small fix,but the game goes forward.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm

got heeem wrote:We will see ??? Duke stated above he knew the closers value and scoring was out of wack.Would have been a small fix,but the game goes forward.
First, I posted this on the message boards either very early in the draft season, or prior to the draft season. It was not some hidden agenda. The solution is simply to wait longer on closers.

Second, it was obvious that anyone who checked cutline ADP could see that closers were going later than in DC leagues.

Third, I mentioned it on SiriusXM when Greg had me on to discuss the cutline contest. Again, completely out in the open.

The scoring is technically accurate as is, but it's the nature of double-start SPs that makes them worth less in an optimal-scoring format with a deep bench. Being able to think that through had nothing to do with a scoring system that was posted on the message boards more than a year before the first draft ever took place. It was there for anyone and everyone to figure out and draft accordingly. If you're too lazy to do the work of thinking through a strategy ... that is the nature of my edge over you.
Last edited by kjduke on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Money wrote: The real issue for me was that it was portrayed as a scoring system (by the NFBC) that would mimic the value of all players equal to or as close as possible to the rotisserie game that we currently play. In my mind I thought that was impossible and decided not to attempt to figure out the way to play it. Time has told us that it does not mimic values and positions equally. I have no first hand knowledge of this but have friends that have played and passed along their observations.

You are flat out wrong and as intellectually lazy as just about anyone I've ever met. You consistently guess at things that fit what you want to believe rather than looking at facts.

Zola (or someone else) did a study awhile back comparing cutline draft ADPs and found they were something like 98-99% comparable (very high, I don't recall exact numbers) to roto drafts for all players except closers, as noted for the reasons that I've been discussing since prior to drafting most of my teams.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 pm

got heeem wrote:We will see ??? Duke stated above he knew the closers value and scoring was out of wack.Would have been a small fix,but the game goes forward.
Maybe you're just as confused as you were about a straight-forward points scoring system, but this is the FOOTBALL Forum, to discuss FOOTBALL things, and specifically a thread about the FOOTBALL FAAB rules. This is NOT the forum, this is NOT the thread to question someone's integrity who was simply helping the game operators, nor to hear you piss & moan about your conspiracy theories about a BASEBALL contest. So take your lame comments over to the BASEBALL forums where can all summarily ignore them like we usually do without having this FOOTBALL thread hijacked by a dumb-ass. Thanks much.
COZ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:46 pm

got heeem wrote:Nothing to do with football,but I also would like to add that NFBC letting the person that came up with the rules/scoring to a new game, play in it the first year was bad.I will never play Baseball Cutline again.Should have been a lockout for year 1 for anyone making the rules/scoring up.
Wow, I guess this thread has taken a different turn of events. This is just crazy. At the end of the day, Todd Zola and KJ helped us create a scoring system that replicates 5x5 Roto and every owner who entered this contest had the chance to figure that out. The beauty of a first year contest is that nobody knows how it's going to play out, no different than our 15-team NFBC Main Event or our 14-team NFFC Classic. NOBODY has an advantage during that first year.

And KJ hasn't won anything yet. He's at the mercy of the playoff format just like everyone else. Getting into the playoffs is the first step and we're not even done there. KJ, Todd, and everyone else who entered this contest have finished with their drafts, their two FAABs and are now at the mercy of optimal scoring and good health.

I have no problem saying that Todd and KJ helped me replicate a scoring format that was a big hit with our customers. And I think the format will continue to be successful for years to come. It was the right move to replicate 5x5 and to create a quick draft every night that allows baseball enthusiasts to enjoy this great game without setting starting lineups every week or doing FAAB more than twice a year. And we'll improve the format even more, with and without KJ's and Todd's input. Everyone helps me with ideas and at the end of the day Tom and I make the final decisions. It's that way in every sport and with every decision.

Hope that helps.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius