What Are Your Thoughts On Bidding For Draft Slots?

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:36 am

Benetti, tis true that this comes down to a control issue. We all want control indeed. The more control I get in FF the happier I am.

Lou, no doubt FF will always have its luck factor with or without bidding for draft slots. I kinda like the luck factor of not knowing who's going to fall on draft day and who's going to stay healthy or not. This game is and always will be just like poker -- a game of skill and luck. It adds drama. A game that is entirely skill is boring. Chess anyone???
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Sack

Post by Sack » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:29 am

I don't like the 14 team format, but it IS the signature of the NFFC. I actually like the setup of doing the 14 team format draft first, because as a glutton for punishment it really helps prepare me the following weekend for that "other" contest. I'm 100% AGAINST bidding for a draft spot. Part of the early appeal is waiting for those leagues to be posted. If you make the right choices, you can win from the #1 spot and win from the #14 spot. I hope when push comes to shove - GREG chooses not to fix what isn't broke. If you don't like the random order, try the Auction. KM

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:21 am

Greg, you may end up with the Main Event being random and the satellites being draft slot bidding as it's looking like a 50-50 split in opinion. You'd probably get the same response with 12-team leagues with a 2-week playoff between top record and top points for the $5000 before going on to the Main playoffs and consolation rounds. :D
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:26 am

Originally posted by Sack:
I don't like the 14 team format, but it IS the signature of the NFFC. I actually like the setup of doing the 14 team format draft first, because as a glutton for punishment it really helps prepare me the following weekend for that "other" contest. I'm 100% AGAINST bidding for a draft spot. Part of the early appeal is waiting for those leagues to be posted. If you make the right choices, you can win from the #1 spot and win from the #14 spot. I hope when push comes to shove - GREG chooses not to fix what isn't broke. If you don't like the random order, try the Auction. KM Ken, all fair points. Let me ask you this for the NFFC and even for the NFBC: Would you be opposed to a setup where I'd randomly pick the leagues and draft slots and you'd give me an order of your preference beforehand that I would use for each league's draft order? In other words, you'd give me a list beforehand of your preferred draft spots (3rd, 1st, 2nd, 7th, 10th, etc.) and if you got the No. 1 pick, your top preference (could be the third pick) would be your draft slot. Would that be a better system than what we have now and better than using valuable FAAB for draft slots? Just interested in the feedback.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:28 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Quoted Like a person who want's to NOW state how lucky OTHERS are.

We know your still good GG, I mean HALF of good but...

GG, Z I know how much you like the idea. What a suprise GG, it was your idea.

The bottom line is luck IS a part of FF. Like getting the first slot.
OR
Like having Joe Horn make it to you at 3.11
OR
like drafting Westbrook from the 12 spot...
Luck would be having a player like LT drop a slot or two and you get him at pick 2 or 3.

The Westbrook example is not a good one, it shows skill and understanding NFFC rules. Westbrook had an ADP of 2.09 (12 team leagues) on Antsports. Taking him before his ADP is a skill move.

Looks like the Horn example isn't too good either. Those that passed on him did the right thing as he underperformed even before his injury.

So maybe there is more skill to this thing than you think. [/QUOTE]I think this is the most confused response I have ever read.
What did you say?

Westbrook @ 12 or 14 here are very accurate examples of luck, he's outscoring everyone but LT.

Horn @ 3.11 is good luck and bad because he's hurt.....

3'

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:29 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Greg, you may end up with the Main Event being random and the satellites being draft slot bidding as it's looking like a 50-50 split in opinion. You'd probably get the same response with 12-team leagues with a 2-week playoff between top record and top points for the $5000 before going on to the Main playoffs and consolation rounds. :D Yeah, I wouldn't change the format for the main event if we had a 50-50 split. I would need to see a strong opinion for a major rule change, whether that's draft slot bidding or payouts or anything else. Getting opinions first is helpful and then we'll poll the group. I never expect a total consensus on anything, but in the end I'll respect the wishes of my current customers and make the decision that is in the best interests of the long-term growth of the NFFC.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:49 am

greg...

you said...

"Ken, all fair points. Let me ask you this for the NFFC and even for the NFBC: Would you be opposed to a setup where I'd randomly pick the leagues and draft slots and you'd give me an order of your preference beforehand that I would use for each league's draft order? In other words, you'd give me a list beforehand of your preferred draft spots (3rd, 1st, 2nd, 7th, 10th, etc.) and if you got the No. 1 pick, your top preference (could be the third pick) would be your draft slot. Would that be a better system than what we have now and better than using valuable FAAB for draft slots? Just interested in the feedback."

i like this idea... there is still some mystery as to what draft position an owner would get... but still some control to be in the general area an owner want to be in (lower part or early part of draft..)

i assume that if 3 people requested the number one pick that you would pick a random "winner" out of those 3? and then the two who did not get that spot get put into their second choice?

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:38 am

Renman, you are missing the point with your post - i assume that if 3 people requested the number one pick that you would pick a random "winner" out of those 3? and then the two who did not get that spot get put into their second choice? If you are selected to pick your spot first, then you would whatever draft slot you wanted. There would be no ties with that system. If you are 14th, you get what is left after 13 other teams had a choice in the matter. Now with a totally random system you may have gotten pick 14 as the 14th team drawn in that league but with this proposal, you could end up with pick 9 if the other 13 do not want it?

To be honest, after hearing that last statement outloud, I do not like that system. It actually increases the "luck" factor. With it totally random no one has a say and the luck factor is even. With this proposal, if you combine the luck of picking your spot in the 1st thru 6th range, those with skill can take advantage of their "good luck".

With the Bidding proposal, each owner has the same shot at every Draft Slot. That is what keeps the scales even.

If you do not choose to apply a Bidding system, I would rather see it stay Totally Random.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:05 am

Yup, Ted, that's how that system would work. Not perfect, but not totally random, either.

This is a very interesting discussion as no system is perfect...and certainly no situation is perfect for every fantasy player. I'm sure some people will be turned out no matter what we choose for 2006. But I see three possible scenarios and we're using one of them now!

Liquid_Madness

Post by Liquid_Madness » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:20 am

I believe the blind bidding system is not one for the "masses"...

A) It would probably be a deterrent to "newbies" thinking of joining... it would become a barrier to entry... especially if a guy has never dealt with blind bidding on a wiaver basis - putting a clause in there about draft picks would blow his mind

B) I don't like the way it would be handled if teams tied in bidding...

I believe its better as a secondary "high-level/elite" league for those who feel they are above the random order selection process... leave the Random selection for the mass event - and do a side league for "veterans" that want to try a blind-bid draft order process

from a Marketing standpoint... if you want to continue to grow the popularity of this league... making a complicated drafting system that is unusual to most people outside the league - is not the best way...

[ October 07, 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Liquid_Madness ]
2006 Draft:
RB
Edge, Dunn, Duckett, M. Anderson, R. Moats, D. Davis
WR
Roy Williams, J. Walker D. Jackson, Troy Williamson, R. Ferguson, P. Price, Si. Moss
QB
A. Brooks, D. Brees
J. Stevens TE
L. Tynes K
NE Def