OK What did You miss on or mess up on?

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 am

Originally posted by Renman:
In my opinion, the typical fan sees that, connects his age to the equation, and then repeats what the standard media fueled assumption is on the player (kind of like how Mendenhall is a bust and didn't know the playbook last week). My point is that we typical fans do not have the access to information that the NFL player evaluation EXPERTS have whose careers depend on these decisions. Who are these evaluation experts you refer to??You act as if L.T. went through the NFL combine during the offseason and he graded out as a top pick. He's still a Bolt because he's been the face of the franchise for nearly a decade. I guarantee most people who can see, working for the San Diego Chargers, realized L.T. was and is a shell of his former self, but to release him.......major uproar would've followed.

I barely watch any of the media "crap". I watch nearly every game, every season, so I make my own judgements. I've been around the game since I was born....heck, I started breaking down game film with my dad(coach) at the age of 4 :cool: . So not all of us fit into the box you've created.

L.T. is done. Like I said before, I watched him at TCU and during most of his pro games and he is no longer a top 10/20 NFL running back. :(
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:08 am

Not that it matters, but I'm in over 20 leagues and I did draft L.T. in one league.......a DC where I also drafted Brian Westbrook. Nice start, huh?

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 am

God,

Do the Chargers not have player evaluation experts on their staff? Do they not have to make major decisions of major importance every single year to put the best possible product on the field? Do they have more information for evaluation and more expertise than the guys here who watch games on tv in sports bars? If you think the front office would purposely have a losing season by trotting out a broken down RB just so they don't cause an "up roar" we will agree to disagree. I worked in netword sport tv and watched a good bit of game film too. I have been around football for a long time too. I am NOT saying LT is what he used to be. I think people continue to invent I am here saying LT is a machine or stud and everyone missed the boat on him. I am not saying that.. I have never said that.

You are welcome to believe LT is done. I believe he has lost a few steps but can still provide solid production for one more year in an era when so few RB's provide consistent production. But people can't say he is/was a bust THIS year based his ankle being rolled up on in week one and be considered someone to take serious in the fantasy football community.

I have no problem with those who truly believe he is shot and expect him to continue to do little to nothing going forward. However, if LT does produce well after week six, will those who said he is done come back here to discuss it again?

Should be interesting to watch over the next 2 months.

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 am

God,

Do the Chargers not have player evaluation experts on their staff? Do they not have to make major decisions of major importance every single year to put the best possible product on the field? Do they have more information for evaluation and more expertise than the guys here who watch games on tv in sports bars? If you think the front office would purposely have a losing season by trotting out a broken down RB just so they don't cause an "up roar" we will agree to disagree. I worked in netword sport tv and watched a good bit of game film too. I have been around football for a long time too. I am NOT saying LT is what he used to be. I think people continue to invent I am here saying LT is a machine or stud and everyone missed the boat on him. I am not saying that.. I have never said that.

You are welcome to believe LT is done. I believe he has lost a few steps but can still provide solid production for one more year in an era when so few RB's provide consistent production. But people can't say he is/was a bust THIS year based his ankle being rolled up on in week one and be considered someone to take serious in the fantasy football community.

I have no problem with those who truly believe he is shot and expect him to continue to do little to nothing going forward. However, if LT does produce well after week six, will those who said he is done come back here to discuss it again?

Should be interesting to watch over the next 2 months. This is the same front office that said take a pay cut or take a walk, right?

Sorry, LT is

[ October 07, 2009, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: 4D ]
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

I dunno, that toast right there looks pretty damn good.

Maybe find us one a little more burnt!

botherk

Post by botherk » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 am

God,

Should be interesting to watch over the next 2 months. Is this a prayer?
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

mkrucek

Post by mkrucek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 am

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
I dunno, that toast right there looks pretty damn good.

Maybe find us one a little more burnt! Sorry, how's that? BTW, in a poll of the Zoots they were overwhelmingly - 98 - 2 - in the "LT's toast" camp.
You'll be fine long as your pretty face holds out, then it's gonna get pretty cold out...

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:02 am

better, not nearly as appetizing.

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:11 am

God,

Do the Chargers not have player evaluation experts on their staff? Do they not have to make major decisions of major importance every single year to put the best possible product on the field? Do they have more information for evaluation and more expertise than the guys here who watch games on tv in sports bars? I do not know, do teams have player evaluation experts? If so, what is their title?

When I read your responses, I get the feeling you think people sat down and watched the Chargers games to evaluate every player. They might have, but in L.T.'s case, I'm guessing it was purely business. Remember, this is a business and it really would've been bad for business to not bring him back. Every NFL team does it when it comes to their superstars....they allow them to hang around a little longer than they should have based on previous results.....sure some get the boot, but all in all, most superstars are allowed to stay around longer than their skills merit.

Check out the results from players drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft every single season. There's hits and misses. Just because a person works for an NFL team doesn't mean they know anything. Remember Ryan Leaf? Heck, look at Al Davis, that guy has made so many freaking mistakes it isn't funny....JaMarcus, McFadden, Gallery.....how about Todd Marinovich? :rolleyes:

I know some people through our family who are employed by NFL teams and I would venture to say I and many others know as much about football/players as they do...heck, I know a thousands times more than my brother, but he is heading down the road towards working for an NFL franchise.

Anyways, I wonder if you didn't own L.T., would you be carrying on the discussion as you have?

renman

Post by renman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:29 am

God,

Were you serious? Do NFL teams have "player evaluation experts?"

You are right that this is a business. The Chargers are in the business of WINNING. If you think they were willing to sacrifice winning to appease a popular player (or the fans) we will agree to disagree. No one is ready to turn their back on a player faster than the typical fan when it is obvious (and some posting here repeatedly imply it was obvious) a player is done and hurts their chances of winning.

This is the NFL... It is about winning. It isn't about feelings, it isn't about public relations, it is about winning. I see NFL teams dumping their stars regularly in the spirit of what they think is best for the team regarding winning. That is one of the few negatives some have with the salary cap. That establised reckogized verteren stars get dumped once they deteriorate some and can't contribute to winning as much as they once did.

I said in my previous post "this does not mean NFL player evaluation people do not make mistakes" because I assumed you would say what you just did in the above post. Did you not see my previous post where I made it clear I understand that? My point (which is accurate) is that those guys have more experience with serious player evaluation than you and I, more knowledge then you and I, more information to evaluate players than you and I and more vested in making the right call than you and I.

"Working" for an NFL franchise and being a top player evaluation executive are two hugely different things. There is NO WAY an NFL team is going into a season with a CLEARLY FINISHED RB with no viable backup. Especially a good team with big plans for the upcoming season.

I would absolutely carry on the same discussion and debate whether I owned LT or not. It has nothing to do with having LT. Again, I own him on 2 teams among numerous leagues. I have owned him once in the last 5 years. I am a combined 7-1 with the teams I have LT on and have such good RB depth I could stay competitive if he didn't play another down this year.

I only got into this discussion/debate because I saw people touting how right they were on LT for THIS YEAR based on what happened in week 1 and that makes absolutely zero sense when everyone knows what has happened so far could happen to any RB.

I stand by that point.

On top of that, As it relates to if LT is "done" (a totally different discussion from the above point) I believe LT has enough left to be a viable and productive fantasy RB the remainder of this season. That in no way means I believe he is LT circa 2004-2006. That means in an era where many backfields are shared and consistent RB production is hard to get... LT can very well end up providing top 5-10 numbers from weeks 6-16.

I respect your opinion he is finished and will produce bust type numbers. That is why fantasy football is so fun. One of us will be right, and one of us will be wrong. If it were not for the unpredictable nature of this it would not be much fun.

[ October 07, 2009, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]