Roster Size...

dgamblnman

Roster Size...

Post by dgamblnman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:30 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
I understood exactly what you said, Vegas and I addressed it. The more draft picks the more the emphasis is on the draft. 18 players gives everyone plenty of opportunity to handcuff their studs. And yes, I got into this league right at the time of the change from 20 to 18. All I was doing was filling some people in as to why this thread exists. Because you haven't gotten over the change. And you also realize we were asked out opinions, shrinking the roster hurts the good researchers and drafters and helps the unprepared and crappy drafters, that is the whole point I was trying to make. Just think is the PIT-MIA game was canceled, many teams had players from that game that had no backups. Is it cause they did not prepare for the week? No, but crap happens and having the ability to prepare is a good thing, right?

dgamblnman

Roster Size...

Post by dgamblnman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:32 am

Originally posted by I Cojones:
Gekko -- you are crazy. Doing a league with 10 flex is ridiculous. It should be 3 TE, 5 Flex, 1 KR, 1 PR.

Anyone who truly knows football, is smart, and loves America would agree with me. 10 flex is way to many, the most I would do is 9, otherwise I'm out. No need to give too many freebies to the newbies

Gordon, if we agree one more time, I don't know what I will do.....

Route Collectors

Roster Size...

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:24 am

Gordon

I thought the issue was roster size. Wasn't it you that added the # of teams into this discussion. I'm just curious as to your qualifications, as you sit there giving your best impressions of vintage Siskel&Ebert? It seems you have a critique on every thread ever started.
Did I miss something? Have you made a recent winning deposit from a big game? $200,000.00? $100,000.00? 50/25/10/5? Do you have published material that I haven't read? Just curious as to why your opinion is that much higher than anyone elses. Please enlighten.

JerseyPaul

Roster Size...

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:39 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

The issue is the # of teams/league and roster size, not # of starting RB's. You're just wrong again, Gordon. Thanks.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:44 am

Originally posted by Indy Rules:
I thought the issue was roster size. Wasn't it you that added the # of teams into this discussion. Roster size is proportional to the # of teams/league. If you haven't figured that out yet, you're still in the starting blocks.

I'm just curious as to your qualifications, as you sit there giving your best impressions of vintage Siskel&Ebert? My mom once told me I was "special". Is that good enough?

It seems you have a critique on every thread ever started. Nope.

Did I miss something? The boat? :confused:

Have you made a recent winning deposit from a big game? I won a t-shirt from espn.

Do you have published material that I haven't read? Probably.

Just curious as to why your opinion is that much higher than anyone elses. You can tell that as well. Good show! :D

[ September 27, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:47 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

The issue is the # of teams/league and roster size, not # of starting RB's. You're just wrong again, Gordon. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]Opinions vary. Thanks.

JerseyPaul

Roster Size...

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:52 am

Let me use some numbers to make my point. This week, not counting Monday's game, there were 18 QBs with over 15 fantasy points, including 2 that were free agents.

Again, not counting Monday night, there were 10 RBs with over 15 fantasy points.

Interestingly, we are required to start only 1 QB but we must start 2 RBs. Does this make sense?

As for WRs, 20 had 15 or more fantasy points.

Let's see what happens if we move the threshold to 10 fantasy points:

QB: 21
RB:16
WR: 37

It just doesn't seem to make sense to require twice as many RBs as QBs when you know that there are not enough to go around. You are requiring about half the teams to start RBs that will get single digit points, no matter how smart we all are.

Route Collectors

Roster Size...

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:33 am

Gordon

Thanks for the reply. Your comments have given away your secret. I think it's great that you can enjoy this league with your brother. So how is NNOY anyway? I'm sure the 2 of you are very close. At the rate that you make friends - you probably have lots of time to pal around.

SHHHH... Your secret is safe here!

King of Queens

Roster Size...

Post by King of Queens » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:33 am

Pardon my confusion, but didn't we all know the rules? Does anyone truly believe that draft position is the #1 determinant of how well your team will do? Every team, regardless of their position, had the opporunity to draft two quality RBs in the first two rounds.

Thank you for the analysis, Jersey Paul. It was somewhat useful, but I'd like to point out a few things:

(1) I'm pretty sure that this was an all-around down week for RBs--and I am positive that it was an incredible week for WR's (Walker, Wayne, Williams, etc). Speaking of which, didn't you take 3 WRs with your first 3 picks?

(2) If you're going to argue the merits of starting a player who scores in the single digits, shouldn't you extend that to TE's, DEF's and K's as well? It would make the draft go much more quickly, and eliminate a lot of "luck."

(3) There are certain fantasy football "standards" that evey league should adhere to. I think what you are proposing is a bit too radical and along the lines of the 16-category rotisserie baseball leagues that are becoming all-too-common.

Gordon Gekko

Roster Size...

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:07 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
Pardon my confusion, but didn't we all know the rules? You may be confused. Who are you directing this question to? I think everyone read the rules and is playing by them. I (and others) are talking about next year. I don't see the pt you are trying to make.