Week 6 Top 30

kjduke

Week 6 Top 30

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:43 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
No one is forced to spend money. If you believe bidding is bad, don't bid and you'll have the edge because you'll have more FAAB.
Originally posted by David Wooderson:
Then how does this system become fair? Let the 6 guys who are in favor taint the draft by bidding and the other 8 of us can just sit back and accept 7-14 because we dont want to bid?
The system is fair because if you don’t believe bidding is important you are rewarded with more FAAB. If you believe it is important, bid! … It is more fair than someone getting a slot that everyone wants, whether that is #1 or #8, and having an equal amount of FAAB.

KJ,
You talk alot about strategy and I agree with you to an extent, its definately important, but if you think that a strategy that you make up pre-draft is going to hold, then that is flat out wrong.

The most fun part of the draft is adjusting your strategy on the fly because of the unexpected, and thats the difference between the good players and the not so good in my opinion. If someone was bidding on the 14 spot to take 2 certain players, those players could very well be gone, or if they bid on the 5 spot because it would allow them for example to get their 3rd Rb in Round 3. Well what if things dont go as planned and those 5 guys you are targeting in the 3rd round that you were sure that were going to be there are all gone? Doesnt that debunk the strategy of bidding on a certain draft spot for a certain reason?
This really only affects the first 3-4 rounds, but those should be your highest scoring players, so its important. No matter what, you still have to adjust. But if the guy I think should be #3 overall actually goes #10 and I end up with the #11 slot, I’m not rewarded for my analysis. That is the problem.

Lets say I pay up to get slot #7 to draft this guy and he goes #6, the guy ahead of me did a better job in bidding and I have to live with it. If he goes #10 and I was randomly assigned #11, the guy ahead of me was lucky, but not better.

By picking your own draft spot through a bid, it's no longer random for all 14 players and the draft is tainted. The draft is LESS tainted if draft position is determined by YOUR OWN bidding strategy.

[ October 20, 2004, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

dgamblnman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:43 am

Like I have said many itmes before, I do like the the method being offered. But I also like having to adjust.

How about this?????

All slotting bidding is done 10 minutes before the draft starts, I would really love that idea. It would get the best of both worlds... You get your position and you need to be well prepared.

I can't wait to read what you'll gotta say about that.

fcphantom

Week 6 Top 30

Post by fcphantom » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:29 am

Right now you don't have to adjust anyway - everyone knows their draft slot days ahead of time in the current system.

TradeStar28

Week 6 Top 30

Post by TradeStar28 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:49 am

Originally posted by Vega$ Gambler$:
Like I have said many itmes before, I do like the the method being offered. But I also like having to adjust.

How about this?????

All slotting bidding is done 10 minutes before the draft starts, I would really love that idea. It would get the best of both worlds... You get your position and you need to be well prepared.

I can't wait to read what you'll gotta say about that. Honestly, who really cares about adjustment. First of all, we are looking at ways to decrease the amount of luck that is involved in fantasy football leagues. That is our main goal here. We are not looking to "add more strategy" per se. Most of us were begging for our Random draft spots (me included) at the earliest possible time so we can prepare for the draft.

Fantasy football is great and fun, but we are looking for the ultimate trophy, and with high-stake leagues...that trophy is CASH. Its fun to have the bragging rights and proclaim that you beat the entire world with the most intricate set of fantasy football league rules in place....

but it still all still boils down to the CASH !

Keep it simple stupid (K.I.S.S.) applies here.

:D

[ October 20, 2004, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Liquid Empire ]
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

Greg Ambrosius

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:09 am

You guys are relentless on this one, but that's fine. Let me just say that I don't see collusion as a problem with this idea as everyone would be required to enter their draft bids well before we randomly picked the leagues. Once the leagues are picked, we would be required to assign the highest draft bids of those 14 owners in each particular league. But it's getting everyone to make those bids in advance of picking the leagues that could be the problem.

You have asked for potential problems and that's really where we should focus. I'll list what I see right away:

1) You need a full field well in advance to do this. As you know, we took applications six days before Draft Day and then randomly picked the leagues. Making sure that EVERYONE understood this draft bid process and had their bids filled out would take a little extra time. The NFFC would need to have a full field well in advance, I believe, to make this work.

2) The perception that you'll be left with pick 14. The fact that it's tough to judge how much to bid on particular draft positions may leave some people with the thought that a $1,250 investment in this type of setup isn't right for them. This would be one draft strategy that admittedly would be foreign to most fantasy football players and almost a crapshoot in some respects.

3) The loss of new customers. I've seen the posts that this would make the NFFC unique and attract more serious players. But it could turn off potential customers as well and that's quite a risk to take. I'm not against this concept and if explained fully ahead of time in all advertising and promotional literature, everyone could understand the draft bid process as easily as they understand the FAAB process. But you're asking for a potential problem and losing customers instead of gaining more customers is one that I'm cognizant of.

4) It hurts in-season FAAB. If someone spends a majority of their money on a draft slot and suffers injury, there is little recourse to recover. It's possible that more teams would give up the fight earlier without enough FAAB to recover from an early season injury. Yes, it also could help those owners who saved their FAAB on draft day, but it's a potential problem and that's what you're asking for.

I'm glad to see the passion here. Remember, this was just a concept thrown out by Gordon Gekko to improve the NFFC and some owners agree with the concept. That doesn't mean the NFFC will embrace it right away, but it's a worthy discussion and obviously a passionate one to continue with. I'm keeping an open mind and appreciate the thoughts from both sides.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

fcphantom

Week 6 Top 30

Post by fcphantom » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 am

Greg,
Great points. I see why they put you in charge of this thing.

I'm thinking about your first three points, but number four I can address right away.

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
4) It hurts in-season FAAB. If someone spends a majority of their money on a draft slot and suffers injury, there is little recourse to recover. It's possible that more teams would give up the fight earlier without enough FAAB to recover from an early season injury. Yes, it also could help those owners who saved their FAAB on draft day, but it's a potential problem and that's what you're asking for.
In the long run I can't see it being any worse that bidding $999 for Lamar Gordon in week one and that's allowed now. The highest bid in our mid-season test was $540 - well under what Gordon went for.

Besides, if a player does accidently bid too high, he can take that knowledge into the next season when he can correct his mistake.

- Rob

PS. I've created a very long post on this subject comparing the NFFC to the World Series of Poker but I'm going to perfect it and save it until after this football season. :cool:

dgamblnman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by dgamblnman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:33 am

Just to clear things up, I would rather have Gregs daughter pick names out of a hat, but I have been accused not not accepting anything new. I see both sides and there are upside/downside to each. For this event, names out of the hat may be the best method for the overall event.

lichtman

Week 6 Top 30

Post by lichtman » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:48 am

on vegas' point -- I guess screwing up a FAAB should be directly related to your ability to bid on free agents going forward, but draft slot and free agent slots are kind of unrelated.

I would prefer greg's daughter pick out of a hat as well, but because I don't want to be accused of not liking new things, I'd be OK if she picked it out of a bag.

[ October 20, 2004, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: I Cojones ]
Hello. My name is Lee Scoresby. I come from Texas, like flying hot-air balloons, being eaten by talking polar bears and fantasy football.

Gordon Gekko

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:09 am

This one never gets old...The program Blind Bidding for Draft Slots has grown beyond your control. Soon it will spread throughout this message board, as it has spread through this post. You cannot stop it...

Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Tom Kessenich

Week 6 Top 30

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:10 am

I have no idea what you just said Gordon cuz that smilie totally has me transfixed.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich