LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

pizzatyme

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by pizzatyme » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:28 pm

UYT (Mike), this is a terrific suggestion. I am fully on board. Those that don't understand it will ridicule it.

While some may be opposed; likely that is because they are familiar with the current system and therefore resistant to change.

Some game operator will eventually institute this change. When they do, they will look like mavericks at first and geniuses in the end.

Just don't get frustrated with the detractors and resort to name calling, etc. As this will muddy your honest attempt at positive change.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

Shrink Attack

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:03 am

Originally posted by kln:
blind bidding is fine. we dont need this bullshit system. Now here's a very reasoned, well-thought out opinion. Who wouldn't agree with this logic?

We all now eagerly await more of your wise counsel on the other important issues of the day.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

bald is beautiful

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:11 am

Mike's idea is a good one to discuss. If everyone could stick to the topic, it would be great. Historically, new ideas like this have made the NFFC better.

I did an E-Bay style auction for a slow draft this summer. It was great.

This would definitiely take more time in waivers each week, but it would weed out those far overbids that occur.

GOD Loves You

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by GOD Loves You » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:30 am

This is done in baseball all the time....called vikery(not sure how it's spelled).

Owners will get screwed with this bidding style as well.

You will have owners who inevitably know they get the player for $1 over the max bid.......so every week they will bid more than they were truly willing to spend....but, they're only paying $1 more so why not take a chance?? Well if you have two owners in a league thinking the same thing, one just overpaid because he "knew he was only paying $1 more than the highest bidder".

In a national contest like this, there will be owners in every league who bankrupt themselves at the beginning of the season due to their $700 bids on players......on players they normally would've bid $250 or so, but since they're only paying $1 more than the next highest bidder, why not bid a high amount?? You know every league would be filled with owners who think this way.

I'm totally against this system due to it's bankrupting style. Sure, if you are in a league full of 14 knowledgeable, half-way educated owners, then the system would work fine. As far as the NFFC as a whole.....I really think with this system, leagues would become so unbalanced due to the inequity it would cause with free agent balances.

BTW, unless my memory is wrong, hasn't this style of bidding already been discussed a few times? I love the blind bidding even though I hate seeing a $100 player in one league go for $5 in another.....but you know we all eventually get one of the deals ourselves during the season.

WE DON'T NEED THIS BULLCRAP SYSTEM! :D
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

Raiders

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Raiders » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:39 am

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
This is done in baseball all the time....called vikery(not sure how it's spelled).

Owners will get screwed with this bidding style as well.

You will have owners who inevitably know they get the player for $1 over the max bid.......so every week they will bid more than they were truly willing to spend....but, they're only paying $1 more so why not take a chance?? Well if you have two owners in a league thinking the same thing, one just overpaid because he "knew he was only paying $1 more than the highest bidder".

In a national contest like this, there will be owners in every league who bankrupt themselves at the beginning of the season due to their $700 bids on players......on players they normally would've bid $250 or so, but since they're only paying $1 more than the next highest bidder, why not bid a high amount?? You know every league would be filled with owners who think this way.

I'm totally against this system due to it's bankrupting style. Sure, if you are in a league full of 14 knowledgeable, half-way educated owners, then the system would work fine. As far as the NFFC as a whole.....I really think with this system, leagues would become so unbalanced due to the inequity it would cause with free agent balances.

BTW, unless my memory is wrong, hasn't this style of bidding already been discussed a few times? I love the blind bidding even though I hate seeing a $100 player in one league go for $5 in another.....but you know we all eventually get one of the deals ourselves during the season.

WE DON'T NEED THIS BULLCRAP SYSTEM! :D
Well said, I like the way Mr. St.George put it, but I guess that's a New York thing. :D
Please don't change the way bids are done. I put my best offer in, if I get that player Great, if I don't Great, because I'm not going to 'Over pay'.

Thanks,

John

Eddiejag

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Eddiejag » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 am

I dont like it , i love when people over think a player they may need and over spend.Ive done it many times my self and cant blame nobody but myself.Be honest how does it feel when you bid 87 and the runnerup bid is 86 , their is no better feeling in the world.Their is a danger to the highest bid that can make and break a season and is one of the most exciting parts tothe NFFC , the EBAY way is just to easy and not at all exciting.This would take away from an already great event.I know we are alway's searching for something new to make this event better like 3rr and kds but this would take away the best part to this event. Just my opinion without attacking anyone.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

jjsegura78

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by jjsegura78 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:16 am

I actually like the procedures at this point for FAAB. I like to bid on someone that the next guy wouldn't have thought of until after they've seen the newest pickups.

I think that if we do an eBay system, some teams will start bidding on free agents that others want to target, even if they hadn't thought about picking them up before they saw someone else bid on them. I guess in an eBay format, all players that are being bid on would be published for all to see and bid at their convenince. This would allow some teams to have the luxury of depending on good FAAB teams, therefore taking someone else's "sleepers" or "targeted players".

I guess this would be when someone's skill in the game would help others out...
Projection 2010: Either winning my Classic LV/Chicago Dual League, or making it to the Catalina Wine Mixer.

JJ Segura

Captain Hook

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:19 am

Mike - while it may be a suggestion, I think your using EBay as an example is off base - of course THEY do it - theirs is an auction process. The NFFC is NOT. Everyone gets one bid only. They can't test the water and find out their first bid isn't high enough, reconsider and come back with a second chance at being successful.

and yes there are other leagues that use the Vickerey system....but I am against it...as are many others who understand everything you have said, but prefer the strategic choices and decisions that our one bid system have.

Greg Ambrosius

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
3RR, KSD, PPR, ½ PPR RB’s are all great rules that add balance and more control to this game. Their is one more area of this game that needs to be fixed.

We (NFFC) need to fix the FA system from blind bidding to eBay style bidding.

I am sick of guessing what others are going to bid. Like you guys know what your doing anyway

The way to assure that the person who is willing to spend the most for a free agent gets the FA … is eBay style bidding. The reason eBay uses auction style is because it brings in the most money. If blind bidding did … eBay would use blind bidding instead ... Trust me ... they are not leaving money on the table.

Bids would go up … and we would no longer play the game of what will others bid for this guy.

It's a Dumb game.

Instead … it will be … what is the max dollars this FA worth to me (without automatically giving that amount of money if no one else wants him … you would get the player for ONE more dollar than the second highest bid). If we were holding this in person … there is NO way we would be putting numbers in a jar and having the biggest bid win the player … we would have an auction and the guy willing to pay one more buck than the last would get the player (like the NFFC auction draft).

Why ... because it is the BEST WAY.

This would truly make FA’s like an auction … not a guessing game. It makes no sense why we don't auction players off in FA ... like in an auction draft or eBay.

Anyone disagree? Big Mike, thanks for starting another thought-provoking topic. The NFFC is always trying to find ways to improve the game of fantasy football and most of our innovations have come from our customers, so this is a worthy topic of discussion. It's a shame some owners can't stay on topic because this had the potential to be a good thread.

That being said, a system like you propose would have to be mastered without folks being slaves to their computers like Appleman states. You feel the high bid e-Bay process is possible, which makes sense. But if we're just going $1 more than the next highest bid -- like GLY says is referred to as the Vickrey system in fantasy baseball -- then that is less appealing to me. That would reward aggressive owners in non-aggressive leagues and allow them to build up incredible rosters. I think you would see more league disparities than we have now.

But maybe I'm wrong and your setup just needs more discussion and more tweaking. Again, I appreciate the thought process and the suggestion and anything is possible. Right now I like our FAAB system as it is tough and if you need a certain player you MUST go out and pay for him. Getting that player and getting dollars back has some downside to it as much as it has upside.

Keep the discussion going. I can usually sift through the B.S. and the good points, so no harm no foul so far. :D Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

LAST BIG NFFC RULE FIX

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:28 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
Mike - while it may be a suggestion, I think your using EBay as an example is off base - of course THEY do it - theirs is an auction process. The NFFC is NOT. Everyone gets one bid only. They can't test the water and find out their first bid isn't high enough, reconsider and come back with a second chance at being successful.

and yes there are other leagues that use the Vickerey system....but I am against it...as are many others who understand everything you have said, but prefer the strategic choices and decisions that our one bid system have. As much as Ron loves this system, Perry, I will admit that I do not like Vickerey at all for baseball. We can discuss over beers in Arizona, but I'm not a fan of that setup.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius