Free Agency 2X Per Week

CC's Desperados

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:18 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I agree with you Shawn, which argues that waivers for weekend players should NOT run on Wednesday, but rather on Friday ... so why are you arguing for Wednesday waivers, or am I wrong on that? I'm in favor of two during Thursday game weeks.

kjduke

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:20 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
I agree with you Shawn, which argues that waivers for weekend players should NOT run on Wednesday, but rather on Friday ... so why are you arguing for Wednesday waivers, or am I wrong on that? I'm in favor of two during Thursday game weeks. [/QUOTE]Yeah, that's what didn't make sense to me based on your arguments. It forces you into decisions earlier than necessary, per your Kellen Winslow argument above. That's why I don't like it.

Route Collectors

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:32 am

Originally posted by Sound Advice:
Taking feedback from members is great.
But don't implement dumb ideas like 2 bid times.
That is member feedback in its purest form.

Now were the heck is the smiley feature on this thing? lol.

Really though. I'm not bidding a bunch of cash if there is a second bid period. Nor will most teams.
That's the fun. Trying to find a replacement WR on Friday and put a price on him. It really makes you think.
I needed one this year to start one week.
I got my 3rd choice Brad Smith because Coles was Q and Cotch was P. So I played the odds that one would miss some time. By Sunday they were both P and I would have done different. But that was the fun part, having to think. Smith put up a 0 and Coles and Cotch have both been P since. So what? That's the fun part.
Like Billy making that block, that doesn't work if there is a second period. More fun gone.
If you wait till Sunday, many new guys will be able to start because of inactives. And weather forcasts will make it easy to plug in a starter.

Make folks think. Give them a time once a week and a bankroll.

Lesson that and it takes a lot of thinking out of the process.
Just plug in who Mathew Berry says at 10 on Sunday for cheap.
My maple tree could do that. Just a counter point thinking on this. The object isn't to make our hobby harder than it already is. Everything we do is guesswork anyway unless some of you are soothsayers.

If the NFL doesn't have to declare actives/inactives until an hour or so before game time then why wouldn't we allow owners a similar chance to submit players their best lineups.... including F/A pickups.

BTW...Billys block still works if he takes all the available players. This example would be the exception anyway since blocking is pretty hard to do during most weeks.

Route Collectors

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:41 am

Originally posted by Rob B:
20 player rosters would help in week 13 then. :D :D :D

Route Collectors

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Route Collectors » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:54 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
I agree with you Shawn, which argues that waivers for weekend players should NOT run on Wednesday, but rather on Friday ... so why are you arguing for Wednesday waivers, or am I wrong on that? I'm in favor of two during Thursday game weeks. [/QUOTE]Yeah, that's what didn't make sense to me based on your arguments. It forces you into decisions earlier than necessary, per your Kellen Winslow argument above. That's why I don't like it.
[/QUOTE]I'm sort of in the middle on this but Kevin makes alot of sense to me because a Wed. F/A period only allows us the chance to pick up those players participating in the Thurs games...period. Maybe a better way of saying that is it keeps us from missing out on any F/A pickups that play on Thurs. Am I missing anything in that statement?

Having a Sat. only F/A period seems to be the best suggestion I've read so far.

OK...my vote is being swayed toward the proposal of only including Thurs players in Wed. F/A if there is a Wed and Fri F/A period.

I think 2 F/A periods when there are no Thurs games is unnecessary.

THE END! :D

[ November 15, 2008, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Route C ]

Jersey Dawg

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:01 am

The multiple game Thursday (like Thanksgiving) makes sense to me for a Weds night waiver move. It is possible both of your QB's are hurt and playing only on Thursday. If STATS forces you to submit a "legal lineup" thus forcing you to play a hurt player on Thursday, that would be wrong.

However, one of the points of this thread was to consider 2 waivers all season long. I hate that idea and see no reason what-so-ever for starting that without any specific NEED when all games are Sun/Mon. Lets not make our lives more difficult or our free time that much less precious.

Pete (trying to be a family man in addition to a fantasy player)

Jersey Dawg

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:11 am

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
[/QUOTE]I'm sort of in the middle on this but Kevin makes alot of sense to me because a Wed. F/A period only allows us the chance to pick up those players participating in the Thurs games...period. Maybe a better way of saying that is it keeps us from missing out on any F/A pickups that play on Thurs. Am I missing anything in that statement?

Having a Sat. only F/A period seems to be the best suggestion I've read so far.

OK...my vote is being swayed toward the proposal of only including Thurs players in Wed. F/A if there is a Wed and Fri F/A period.

I think 2 F/A periods when there are no Thurs games is unnecessary.

THE END! :D
[/QUOTE]I think limiting players to "pick up" on Weds night of a Thursday game works against this scenario....

Example: I have both Cassle and Favre on my roster this past Weds evening. I have no other QB's on my roster. Pretend that on Weds night both players are either "doubtful" or "out" due to injuries the prior Sunday. If I am limited to picking up ONLY their backups (only Thursday players allowed in the pool) it would be EXTREMELY easy to block me from picking up a player to start.

For this reason, I guess we need to open all players on Weds OR, my suggestion, don't have STATS force us to have a legal lineup when the Thurs game starts. If STATS allows illegal lineups on Thurs, then I could leave both Cassel and Favre on my bench and pick someone up on Friday to start Sunday. If not, I need to have all avail QB's as options on Weds night.

Pete

Captain Hook

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:32 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
The multiple game Thursday (like Thanksgiving) makes sense to me for a Weds night waiver move. It is possible both of your QB's are hurt and playing only on Thursday. If STATS forces you to submit a "legal lineup" thus forcing you to play a hurt player on Thursday, that would be wrong.

However, one of the points of this thread was to consider 2 waivers all season long. I hate that idea and see no reason what-so-ever for starting that without any specific NEED when all games are Sun/Mon. Lets not make our lives more difficult or our free time that much less precious.

Pete (trying to be a family man in addition to a fantasy player) There are two separate issues, but there is a relation.

This year in the NFFC we had Friday waivers...until the Thursday night games started (for the second half of the season). They were then moved to Wednesday.........so no more Friday waivers.

First is the question of whether there NEEDS to be a Wednesday waivers - it certainly is helpful for anyone who has an injury come up in the previous Sunday game or the news comes out on M/T/W and they would suddenly be short a player and would like to use a player on the FA list who is playing Thursday.

IF there is going to be a Wednesday (or Thursday) FAAB run, I DON'T think it should be the only one of the week - as Kevin and others state we don't have all the information we would like/need to make the decision that early, so the later FAAB run should remain - currently Friday, I would prefer Saturday as IMO it helps more people than it hurts, especially those working M-F.

So if there is going to be a Wed run, limited or not (and I don't buy the limit theory except it does give the advantage to people who can look at the whole week and make early decisions), then there should STILL be the later Friday/Saturday run as well.

Personally I would prefer the second FAAB run to be on Saturday or remain on Friday rather than be on Sunday - many of us don't want to do EVERYTHING on Sunday mornings.....and certainly have others who would prefer that as well.

Ted's Cracked Head

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:39 am

Most have NO extra time Sunday mornings for waiver moves.

We are trying to make those tough decisions in multiple leagues and worrying about who I got would suck.

Saturday nights I finalize my list of all of the decisions I need to make on Sunday morning.

Sunday morning I review the list and scour the web for current info.

Adding a FA bidding period that would not be run until Sunday morning would be a deal breaker for me or else I would have to further limit my leagues here.

I am not speaking for anyone else but I do not think I am alone here.

Time management at THIS level and for these types of fantasy players is at a premium.

Saturday instead of Friday would be a good option. It would give everyone a chance to sift through all of the team reports and make better decisions on whom to pick up. Most Saturday games are not scheduled during our regular seasons so it would remain consistent all year.

I would be fine with almost any of the concepts thrown out from two every week (Wed and Sat?), just one per week (Fri or Sat) or two on weeks with Thursday games or just one on Wednesday when there are Thursday games though that is my least fav as I would then prefer another shot on Fri or Sat with more info available.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:09 am

Just to interject: The intent of the second waiver wire isn't to double anyone's work load. Players who were cut earlier that week would NOT go into the FAAB pool until the next week, so the extra work you'd have is checking to see if any of the players you had intended to pick up were actually left alone. And maybe we make the second FAAB a minimum $25 or $50 pickup to make sure folks aren't just sitting back until then to pick up a $1 defense or kicker. Make it cost more if you use the second waiver wire.

Anyway, this is just part of the discussion for this idea. It's a worthy idea but it needs more work than just saying we'll do it. The key is if there is an interest in this idea to figure out if there is a way to do it right without overburdening the players because I don't want NFFC members playing less contests from this idea.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius