3RR Point/Counterpoint For The Magazine

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:55 pm

...but the KDS adds some damage control, David.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:15 am

Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
I look at 4 and 5 and see a gold mine. Whereas with the serpentine draft, you were "guessing" what 1-3 or 1-4 were going to take, you will "know" what has gone in 4-14 or 5-14 and IMHO, be able to make a pick as though you were picking in the middle and not picking "because he won't be there on the wrap-around". "Want" pick versus a "Have-to" pick. The "have-to" picks are now going to fall to 1-3 spots IMHO. You can't possibly like these draft slots (4-5) more in this form (3RR) of draft. You are losing draft positions in the 3rd round. I'm not sure if I understand your thinking on the wrap around forcing your hand. The 4th pick is dropping 7 spots in the 3rd round. Is it really worth it to drop that far in order to get that 4th pick?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:40 am

Originally posted by TURBOUGH:
quote:Originally posted by Tamuscarecrow:
I look at 4 and 5 and see a gold mine. Whereas with the serpentine draft, you were "guessing" what 1-3 or 1-4 were going to take, you will "know" what has gone in 4-14 or 5-14 and IMHO, be able to make a pick as though you were picking in the middle and not picking "because he won't be there on the wrap-around". "Want" pick versus a "Have-to" pick. The "have-to" picks are now going to fall to 1-3 spots IMHO. You can't possibly like these draft slots (4-5) more in this form (3RR) of draft. You are losing draft positions in the 3rd round. I'm not sure if I understand your thinking on the wrap around forcing your hand. The 4th pick is dropping 7 spots in the 3rd round. Is it really worth it to drop that far in order to get that 4th pick? [/QUOTE]I am pretty sure I know the reason that Rick likes the 4/5! ;)

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:14 am

Thank you, Billy. Good to see some logic in this discussion instead of all of the emotional mumbo jumbo.

3INTBOY, I'm not delighting in the fact 1-3 now have the hard decisions in the 2nd round based on the fact they lose the wrap-around, but it's an offset to the fact they don't have a tough decision to make in the first round according those who think the top 3 picks are the premium picks.

As for the 4/5 pick being a problem, TURBOUGH, one man's trash is another man's gold mine. Round 4 is QB/TE time for me and being at the front of that is better than being on the back end.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:23 am

I see your point since we'll be going 1-14 on the even rounds. Like I've said, I'm for the 3RR. I think some are looking at me as if I'm totally disagreeing with this draft format which I am not.

TE gold mine in the 4th? I have to disagree since there are quite a few good TE's these days. A couple of year back, I couldn't agree more.

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:09 am

Depends on how your draft is going and your preference, TURBOUGH. I like having a stud at every position while others like loading up on RB's and WR's.

I don't see you or anyone disagreeing with the draft format, just see some folks questioning the necessity and timing of its implementation. I can't say I see a bad pick with this format which makes me wonder why the questions. This may go back to your statement about B O R I N G !!!!! It is certainly keeping the boards lively these days until the NFL draft gets here.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:27 am

I would like to see one downside listed other than the 4-7 slots may have a few less players to pick from in the 3rd.

How does this hurt the game?
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:50 am

Overall I think its a great idea and will be fun to see how each of our own teams turn out. Just over 200 days and we'll know.

I don't see this hurting the game at all. For a 14 team draft, I think it fits perfectly. I'm not sure if it would do much for a 12 team draft but it definately adds something to the 14 teamers. I'm glad everyone is keeping the boards alive.

3INTBOY

Post by 3INTBOY » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:32 am

Originally posted by Ted's Cracked Head:
I would like to see one downside listed other than the 4-7 slots may have a few less players to pick from in the 3rd.

How does this hurt the game? Champ,
I don't think anyone who is point/counterpoint can give you a solid downside.
Because this hasn't been done before. What everyone can give you is exactly what happened in the past 5 years. Dave pointed it out, Nag pointed it out and I have pointed out that in 40% of the years 3RR would HURT the top owners.

So one more time, who could answer your question? We have no way of looking ahead and stating fact.
But past facts show clearly the advantage is temporary and unpredictable when it comes about.

You can't state w/ any facts that it's good, and I can state with only history that it may have been a knee jerk. But I can't say it's bad either, because it;s just guess work.

We won't know for 5 years, if it lasts that long.

3'

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:25 am

Lou (or anyone else) - since you are into facts, can you post the draft slot makeup of the top 10% of regular season points scorers in the wcoff, for every year the wcoff has been around? Thanks.
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?