NFFC FAAB Deadline Update

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 am

Seems most are in agreement that they don't want to do ALL of their free agent pickups on Wednesday, all season long. Again, we're thinking ahead to the not-to-distant future when Thursday night games are an EVERY WEEK reality. Given that, here are the hypothetical solutions:

1) One FAAB period on Friday night (with the possible exception of Thanksgiving week).

Positive -- get as much info as possible

Negative -- no access to Thursday game players (possibly excluding Thanksgiving players)

2) A Wednesday FAAB just for Thursday game players (2 NFL teams, and 6 for Thanksgiving week), with a Friday FAAB for the other 30 NFL teams.

Positive -- access to all players, with the only "ill-informed" pickups coming on Wednesday night

Negative -- even with a small Wednesday FAAB, there will still be two FAAB periods each week. More time consuming, and some rules would need to be worked out regarding when players who are waived on Wedneday become available.

particra

Post by particra » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:19 am

The idea of having to do multiple FAABs each week for all these teams makes me want to take up a new hobby.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 am

Originally posted by Hells Satans:
The idea of having to do multiple FAABs each week for all these teams makes me want to take up a new hobby. Me too! I would just stick to DC style leagues before I did that.

Wayne

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:38 am

Agreed...

Busy regular life + too much time spent on FAAB makes Jack a dull boy. ;p

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 pm

The idea of having to do multiple FAABs each week for all these teams makes me want to take up a new hobby. What he said.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 am

I am all for Friday,I do not want to have to deal with more than once a week p/ups.If you have someone going on thursday then have your team prepared .Usually there is only 1 or maybe 2 players on any single (ff) team playing that night.There is just not enough info for transactions on wed.
i already have to deal with my local leagues and there wed,thur,sat pick/ups.It personally drives me crazy.half the time I miss out on early picks because I dont want to deal with it early in the week.More than 1 day a week would be a real drag.

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:22 am

This seems like a GREAT topic for a survey. I'll stop suggesting surveys after this, but you did say you wanted to reach the "masses" and the small % of folks that post on the MB are not that.

Important topic.

Survey monkey, very easy to use.

My 2 cents, if we do not have FAAB on Wednesday's before a Thursday game, I won't play. I see the following scenarion happening: I have ONE kicker, he plays on Sunday in Week 6, in Week 7 he plays on Thursday and there is no FAAB for me to replace him, thus I get a zero. I am not going to "plan ahead" and waste a roster spot to carry two kickers, solely to have a Thursday night game covered. Roster spots are very valuable to me, I don't carry two kickers as a norm.
@RedRyder

particra

Post by particra » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:33 am

I'm confused. Why would you get a zero in Week 7 if he's playing on Thursday?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:34 am

I'm confused. Why would you get a zero in Week 7 if he's playing on Thursday? Jules is saying in the scenario she described above she would be punished for having a hurt kicker and not being able to replace him for the weekend games. As I mentioned, the person you'd try to drop on Friday if he played on Thursday wouldn't take effect until the following week because he already played on Thursday. So she is correct.

The "I won't play if" is understandable, but better yet explaining this scenario to me and how we can combat that makes more sense. It's obvious I'm trying to come up with a plan that HELPS our NFFC players, so I don't understand why everyone wouldn't just try to solve all the possible scenarios to make FAAB better. We all know that the NFL is going to go with weekly Thursday games -- which isn't ideal for die-hard fantasy players who have multiple teams -- in 2013 or 2014, so let's work together to find the best scenario for FAAB.

Could Jules' scenario above be solved still with a Friday FAAB deadline? Maybe not. Or maybe it could. I don't know. But it's another possible "that sucks" that comes with the Friday FAAB idea. Is it a rare occurrence that should be avoided, thus forcing all Wednesday FAABs throughout the year if the NFL goes to all Thursday games? That's worth discussing.

A survey makes sense and we are setting some up right now on SurveyMonkey.com to get feedback on this year's events and contest formats. We are going to be active in getting feedback from our new players and current players about several different things. This can be a separate one once we've finalized the questions we want to ask. As you can see here, I'm not sure we've ironed out all the details of what an all-Wednesday FAAB would produce or what an all-Friday FAAB would produce. When we get there, we'll ask the masses for their opinions.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:45 am

In my home league we run 2 FAAB's a week. One that runs Friday evening (like the NFFC) and another that runs Sunday at 10 am for emergency pickups before kickoff. The second faab covers the unique situations of a player getting injured or arrested or a game cancelled by a hurricane between Fridays FAAB and Sundays kickoff. Anyone picked up on Sunday is a $10 minimum (there have been very few).

When the Thursday games get here we obviously will run the Faab Weds night and again Sunday.

Has worked just fine.