What Is Going To Happen To High-Stakes Fantasy Football?

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally posted by Paul Gromek:
I guess all that's left to play for in the WCOFB is pride, although like Tom said, the writing has been on the wall for a while. i wouldn't put it past wcofb to shut down their site b4 the season is over. then they can claim there was no 200K winner and they don't owe any prize money :eek:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Originally posted by DoubleG:
quote:Originally posted by Paul Gromek:
I guess all that's left to play for in the WCOFB is pride, although like Tom said, the writing has been on the wall for a while. i wouldn't put it past wcofb to shut down their site b4 the season is over. then they can claim there was no 200K winner and they don't owe any prize money :eek: [/QUOTE]They had a an equivalent of an Ultimate league (5k entry) aside from their ME too. Not sure how much of that was rollover funded. Toss that in the garbage too. Astounding.

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by DoubleG:
I guess all that's left to play for in the WCOFB is pride, although like Tom said, the writing has been on the wall for a while. i wouldn't put it past wcofb to shut down their site b4 the season is over. then they can claim there was no 200K winner and they don't owe any prize money :eek: [/QUOTE]They had a an equivalent of an Ultimate league (5k entry) aside from their ME too. Not sure how much of that was rollover funded. Toss that in the garbage too. Astounding.
[/QUOTE]It is worse than that. If they took that $ to pay football winners it HAS to be criminal fraud.

FFBL23

Post by FFBL23 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Stop the pain guys!!! I'm winning both the Main Event and the 5K. Un-f$&@ing-believable. I wish they would cancel the damn thing to put me out of my misery.

FFBL23

Post by FFBL23 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Wanna help me prove fraud?

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by DoubleG:
[/QUOTE]Mr. Jupinka....your mailbox is full.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 pm

Surely everyone playing baseball over there knows what's going in in football, don't they?

Is the baseball MB the same disaster as the Football MB? Anyone playing baseball over there would be delusional to think they're going to get paid.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

FFBL23

Post by FFBL23 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Surely everyone playing baseball over there knows what's going in in football, don't they?

Is the baseball MB the same disaster as the Football MB? Anyone playing baseball over there would be delusional to think they're going to get paid. We know, trust me.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:51 pm

Originally posted by BONGIZMO:
Yes the boards are going dark it appears as we lose the ability to post thread by thread. Sad times indeed. Honestly, I said yesterday I thought it was time to disable the WCOFF boards. However, I would have expected a post by WCOFF management before that, explaining that the 2011 WCOFF season had been cancelled and that management would continue to pursue investors to help pay off past winnings. I honestly don't know what the next step is as far as the assets are concerned, but as I look at the disabled boards it's obvious that the next step now is a post from management to update the contest and drafts for the players. Someone there has to say the obvious: That all of the WCOFF drafts and scheduled events are cancelled for the season. Until those players hear that on those boards, it's not official.

Again, disable the boards if you'd like. Nothing productive was coming from them since Monday night anyway. And if management wasn't going to use them to disseminate information on the contest, then all they were being used for were as recruiting tools for other contests and bitch sessions for those who were still waiting for prize money. They served a purpose for the non-paid consumers, no doubt, but their main function now is to see a post by management with an update.

Dustin, do the right thing and make that announcement today. Put closure to this very unfortunate situation and just allow your very, very, very loyal players to move on for 2011 and put closure to the hope that something miraculous is happening next. We all wish that would happen, but it's not feasible at this point in the off-season. Do everyone a favor and just update the situation professionally, explain what happens next, explain the baseball situation and let the lawyers handle the rest. People are looking for that type of leadership from you today and you should deliver it.

I do think that will happen and I thought it would happen yesterday when the boards were disabled. Time to put closure on this and move on, starting from the top.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Originally posted by FFBL23:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:

Is the baseball MB the same disaster as the Football MB? Anyone playing baseball over there would be delusional to think they're going to get paid. We know, trust me.
[/QUOTE]Kevin, I feel very, very, very, very, very, very (etc) bad for you and all of the WCOFB players. If anybody realizes how much time is needed to excel at a high-stakes fantasy baseball game then they would feel your pain too. This is a TON of work for nothing and it's not fair at all. Everyone competing in the WCOFB -- potential winners and those out of the money -- should feel pain because a lot of time, effort and money went into drafting live (or online) and now those players having nothing to show for it. We assume the season will play out, but even the feeling of not knowing that is unsettling.

It's all bad there. Just unfortunate and as you stated this had the potential to be a life-altering accomplishment with about $250,000+ coming your way or someone else's way. Now it becomes a loss of funds rather than a collection of funds. NOT GOOD.

I hope you don't pack it in after this. You're too good of a player, both in baseball and football, to leave the space. Good luck in the NFBC Ultimate Auction League and take that title home instead. That would at least ease the pain a bit and be worth $40,000. And come to Las Vegas with me in September if you can swing it and we'll have some fun drafting anew in football and thinking of the finish line there where winning funds will be waiting. I'll call you today if you're around. Thanks.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius