And then we have fantasy football

JETS SB

Re: And then we have fantasy football

Post by JETS SB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:39 am

ChiTwn wrote:
The Franchise wrote:
Glenneration X wrote: I also agree with another previous poster that Mark enjoys stirring the pot. ;)

My opinion of Mark is that he likes to get a rise out of people on the message board ....
I believe the rest of the interwebs refer to these type of people as "Trolls".
This

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:34 am

Greenberg - i dont care if you have respect for me or not. i told you i did not (at least on purpose) look at your kid as an "ingrade" (whatever that is). if you choose to disregard that, that's on you. next time, if something bothers you or your boy THAT MUCH, please confront the person at that time. maybe it was a miscommunication or maybe you are just a liar. either way, it doesn't matter to any of us.

as for you initial comment about the championship round...
JETS SB wrote:comparing the championship to a slot machine is just plain idiotic.
it looks like there are other posters that feel the championship round is a slot machine or close to it. guess you are calling them an idiot to? class act that Greenberg :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:40 am

Glenneration X wrote:I agree with a previous poster that Mark's a good guy.
I also agree with another previous poster that Mark enjoys stirring the pot. ;)
i think i turned in my "stirring" membership years ago...seeing how this thread was my first post on these boards since Sept 4th

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:52 am

Don Draper wrote:Greenberg - i dont care if you have respect for me or not. i told you i did not (at least on purpose) look at your kid as an "ingrade" (whatever that is). if you choose to disregard that, that's on you. next time, if something bothers you or your boy THAT MUCH, please confront the person at that time. maybe it was a miscommunication or maybe you are just a liar. either way, it doesn't matter to any of us.

as for you initial comment about the championship round...
JETS SB wrote:comparing the championship to a slot machine is just plain idiotic.
it looks like there are other posters that feel the championship round is a slot machine or close to it. guess you are calling them an idiot to? class act that Greenberg :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yup, I lied about my kid and you are an AWESOME guy.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 am

I get a kick out of when people create new IDs to reset their message board anonymity. :P

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Don Draper wrote:Greenberg
So Batman's mask gets removed...good job, Joker!
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:03 pm

I certainly wouldn't call the REGULAR SEASON a "slot machine". I know people play in this contest to win the grand prize (why else would you play for 4x your $$$?), but the fact is if you don't do well in the regular season, you HAVE NO SHOT at the grand prize. So like some have said, my first goal is to win my league, and my second goal is to "cash".

Once you "reset" after 13 weeks (this is where baseball clearly has an advantage, as there is no reset button), I DO believe it is a slot machine among the teams that are in the championship round. It all comes down to who gets hot.

I have felt Gekko's frustration MANY times over the years, but the fact is I have won a lot more money than I have lost at this hobby since I started playing in 1987. Everything is not always going to break right for you (you in general, not "you", Mark, and it doesn't in baseball either. I agree totally that the sample sizes play a big part in the "luck factor" of both sports, but like a good friend of ours as said, "you can't really win $$$ in baseball" (when you consider the massive amount of time put into it). :D

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Shrink Attack wrote:
Don Draper wrote:Greenberg
So Batman's mask gets removed...good job, Joker!
I am not sure what this means

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 pm

BillyWaz wrote:Once you "reset" after 13 weeks, I DO believe it is a slot machine among the teams that are in the championship round.
Billy - How dare you!!!!! :lol: ;) :twisted:

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:38 am

Mark and Billy are right: The Championship weeks are a slot machine.

I'll use this week as an example. Going into Week 8, I was 7th Overall in the PrimeTime. My score this week was 158, good enough to move me into 2nd place Overall in the entire contest. Sounds pretty good, huh? Not so fast.

My score this week was only the 35th best in the PrimeTime, and in fact was a full 58 points behind the highest score of the week. Had this been the first week of the playoffs, I'd be on the verge of elimination. The chances of leapfrogging 34 other quality teams and making up 58 points in only 2 weeks are very small. In other words, the body of work accumulated over 8 weeks (or 13 weeks, for that matter) is DWARFED by the the largely unpredictable roll of the dice that is the three week playoff sprint.

Now, I do understand that the playoff weeks are a bit different. I wouldn't be competing against 420 teams, but less than 100. And we do carry our weekly scoring averages into the playoffs, although this has proven to be a miniscule advantage.

Regardless, the principle remains unchanged: One you're in the playoffs, everything else is out the window. Just give that one-armed bandit a pull, and if you come up 777, then you're $150,000 richer.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven