NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

bockman1

Re: NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Post by bockman1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 am

I like the all play at the beginning as it gives you a chance to sort out your team before the head to head starts.
when you figure out there is no way to figure it out your almost there

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 pm

We could compromise by playing All Play Weeks 1 and 16.

The All Play for the entire season sounds good, but that was tried over at the Jungle before they ran off with everyone's money. While it's "fair', it's bad for business because teams get eliminated quickly from contention with just 2 or 3 early bad weeks.

Incorporating All Play into a Victory Points system is very viable, though.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 pm

H2H is much more fun and everyone watches to see if they won or lost

Points is boring but is probably the most fair

We have the best of both worlds here as the luckiest team gets in and the best team gets in. Plus with the H2H you can possibly have a slow start and then work your way into a very good team as the season progresses and still make the playoffs. I can't imagine a more fair system than what we have right now.

Wayne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:31 pm

I still see no point in having the "all play" at the beginning of the season. It needs to be at the end, week 12 and 13. The "make up ground" theory just doesnt make any sense to me... I think the issue of people tanking on their teams is a bigger issue and if you have the "all play" at the end of the season, it allows the teams that should be in the playoffs, in the playoffs. Really we are talking about the H2H winner that is affected by this decision, since points winners will be unaffected by "all play". If you happen to be trying to make up ground at the end of the year, in order to win the H2H title, then wouldn't you be better off to see that the team ahead of you isn't playing a team that tanked in week 13 and you have no chance? At least with all play, it puts everyone on the same playing field. Having "all play" at the beginning of the season really makes no sense.. IMO

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm all for all play from 11-0 to 0-11, by far the fairest way to do it imo. Then if someone starts a bunch of guys on byes or gives up, everyone benefits from it equally instead of the lucky owners who play him after he's given up. Its also more fair for when you have a lot of players on bye the same week like my teams from this year: Many, MANY players from Dallas and Detroit so my week 5 lineups were a joke, the teams who got to play me that week had a huge advantage vs the other teams who played me any other week.

I agree with what Billy said "I think the NFFC needs an element like H2H to keep more teams involved" but that's a HORRIBLE reason to do it. Should eliminate the luck factor as much as possible. I'm in a classic league where the team like 10th or 11th in points is 8-2 and in first place. We're playing for $7,000 so that's a complete joke and just pure luck, nothing about that team deserves 1 cent much less what he could win (nothing against who the owner is, who is on his team, just talking from a points to head to head luck thing). Last year I had a league where the guy dead last in points had the best record until the last week, he was that close to the luckiest fantasy football season I've ever seen. Hell I'd even be for a rule where you AT LEAST have to finish in the top 4 or 5 in points to be allowed to win head to head, anything less and you just got crazy lucky. As usual, just my 2 cents

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote: I agree with what Billy said "I think the NFFC needs an element like H2H to keep more teams involved" but that's a HORRIBLE reason to do it.

Hell I'd even be for a rule where you AT LEAST have to finish in the top 4 or 5 in points to be allowed to win head to head, anything less and you just got crazy lucky. As usual, just my 2 cents
I'm just looking at it from a contest operator standpoint, Jared. They are going to do whatever is most comfortable for the "average Joe" who plays fantasy football. It's the reason that the NFFC is more of a 12 team contest now than the 14 teamer it was when it started, and it's the reason the FFPC uses the extremely luck based "4 vs 1 , 3 vs 2" model for the playoffs.

I too would LOVE to find a way to ensure ONLY the best teams got in the playoffs. I play in a 14 team local league, and a team that is 1-9 would make it in the playoffs right now. I have NO PROBLEM with that, but like you, I do have issues with teams I am currently 100+ points better than are set up to make the playoffs due to a better record.

LOVE the idea of "you have to be top 4 or 5 in points" to get in playoffs. Or make it the top 1/2 of the league, so that way the people who say "well the NFL doesn't base it on points" can't gripe! :lol:

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:24 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:I'm all for all play from 11-0 to 0-11, by far the fairest way to do it imo. Then if someone starts a bunch of guys on byes or gives up, everyone benefits from it equally instead of the lucky owners who play him after he's given up. Its also more fair for when you have a lot of players on bye the same week like my teams from this year: Many, other week.MANY players from Dallas and Detroit so my week 5 lineups were a joke, the teams who got to play me that week had a huge advantage vs the other teams who played me any

I agree with what Billy said "I think the NFFC needs an element like H2H to keep more teams involved" but that's a HORRIBLE reason to do it. Should eliminate the luck factor as much as possible. I'm in a classic league where the team like 10th or 11th in points is 8-2 and in first place. We're playing for $7,000 so that's a complete joke and just pure luck, nothing about that team deserves 1 cent much less what he could win (nothing against who the owner is, who is on his team, just talking from a points to head to head luck thing). Last year I had a league where the guy dead last in points had the best record until the last week, he was that close to the luckiest fantasy football season I've ever seen. Hell I'd even be for a rule where you AT LEAST have to finish in the top 4 or 5 in points to be allowed to win head to head, anything less and you just got crazy lucky. As usual, just my 2 cents
to many guys from det and dallas .duh why is my team bad .jee i don't know . :lol:

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:59 pm

The best team ALWAYS makes the playoffs - it's called total points. :o How is all play more fair than this?

Why is it that folks only remember bad luck and not good luck? Luck does work in your favor also? But if you score the most - you're in. Sounds pretty fair to me.

WAyne

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:12 pm

Coltsfan wrote:The best team ALWAYS makes the playoffs - it's called total points. :o How is all play more fair than this?

Why is it that folks only remember bad luck and not good luck? Luck does work in your favor also? But if you score the most - you're in. Sounds pretty fair to me.

WAyne
I also think it comes down to more about the 3rd and 4th teams on the cusp of getting in on points. If you have a team that is say 10th in points who wins best record in a Classic or Primetime, the guy who scored the 3rd highest points gets NOTHING, the guy who gets 2nd best points gets 3rd place $$$, and the guy with the most points has to play 3 weeks to see if he gets the 1st place $$$.

Good point though.....win total points, and you are guaranteed to at least double your $$$ (in the Classic and Primetime! ;)

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:17 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:The best team ALWAYS makes the playoffs - it's called total points. :o How is all play more fair than this?

WAyne
I also think it comes down to more about the 3rd and 4th teams on the cusp of getting in on points. If you have a team that is say 10th in points who wins best record in a Classic or Primetime, the guy who scored the 3rd highest points gets NOTHING, the guy who gets 2nd best points gets 3rd place $$$, and the guy with the most points has to play 3 weeks to see if he gets the 1st place $$$.

Good point though.....win total points, and you are guaranteed to at least double your $$$ (in the Classic and Primetime! ;)

Agreed Billy but sometimes you are that 10th best team that gets in. The point is that luck balances itself out over time and some teams get in that may not deserve it while other teams you will get in without the best team. So the H2H element keeps it exciting for all and the points makes it fair for all. And over time you will be just as lucky as unlucky.

Wayne