What Will The First Round Look Like In 2014?

Tom Kessenich

Re: What Will The First Round Look Like In 2014?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:53 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:That list looks pretty accurate but you still want to leave Peyton out of the first round ? If Decker leaves in free agency then I can see why maybe he slips out of first round but if offense stays intact Peyton has to be a top 12 pk in my opinion.
I fully expect Manning to be a first-round pick. This was my list, not who I expect to go where. I'm not taking a QB in the first round, even one as great as Manning. I will start looking at the elite QBs in the second round so right now Peyton is 13th on my list.

I'll be real interested to see where Julio goes in our early drafts. He could be someone who falls to the middle of the second round. If that occurs and I'm picking late I could grab another WR instead and then look to take Julio in the second even if I have him ranked higher.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:I sure hope you're right about Browns. We've heard that several times this year too. Sign Tate, draft a QB to throw to Gordon and Cameron and maybe draft another top D-lineman = "Championship?!" :P

Hmm... any chance the Giants pursue Bradshaw again - for a limited role like 3rd downs?

Always a chance I guess, but now that would be 2 backs with neck issues on the team. A friend of mine who knows an assistant coach on the team told me that higher ups wanted to recommit and get back to being a dominant running team and invest at the position if need be. I'm just trying to connect the dots.

I think Tate is a good solid back who can thrive as a lead back. He never really got a fair chance to do his thing once Foster went down because he played with broken ribs. What the Browns need is a low tier coach who is hungry and wants to prove himself because no one wants that job right now.... :(
Hasn't Tate missed more games than he has actually started in? Seems like a RB with more risk than reward. Next years Ivory?? I would think the Browns job is more attractive than ever. Nice Defense who can pass rush and some big pieces in place on Offense with Gordon and Cameron. Under rated O-line. Pettine has proven well in Buff if they go that route.

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:Greg and I posted a first round look at 2014 on our show from Vegas last week. We had John Hansen on the segment as well. He disagreed with my ranking of Eddie Lacy (7th overall). John likes him a lot but not that high. He also said that despite the large number of WRs sure to be available if you're picking in the latter part of the first round he's still likely going to take a RB with one of those two picks. Two guys he likes a lot are Le'Veon Bell and Marshawn Lynch. So don't be surprised if the Guru tells his readers next year to target one of those guys in the first two rounds while others are loading up on WRs.

Here were the Top 12 I listed on our show:

1. Jamaal Charles
2. LeSean McCoy
3. Matt Forte
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Calvin Johnson
6. Jimmy Graham
7. Eddie Lacy
8. Julio Jones
9. Josh Gordon
10. Demaryius Thomas
11. A.J. Green
12. Dez Bryant

Gordon is not a 1st Rd pick for me, especially not ahead of those other WR's...........and Marshall. Taking him there your just paying for last year's stats.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 am

I'm not locked into Gordon at that ranking but I disagree viewing him as an elite WR1 would be chasing last year's stats. He's an ascending player with star talent in my opinion who was an elite WR1 this season with a QB situation that would be viewed as pedestrian on its best days. If the Browns are able to land a high-impact QB in the offseason there is every reason to believe Gordon can be a Top 3-5 fantasy WR based on his talent in my opinion.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:I'm not locked into Gordon at that ranking but I disagree viewing him as an elite WR1 would be chasing last year's stats. He's an ascending player with star talent in my opinion who was an elite WR1 this season with a QB situation that would be viewed as pedestrian on its best days. If the Browns are able to land a high-impact QB in the offseason there is every reason to believe Gordon can be a Top 3-5 fantasy WR based on his talent in my opinion.

I don't disagree about his talent. I guess I'm asking when the chips are down are you taking him over DT, Green, Dez and Marshall?
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 am

The Franchise wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:I'm not locked into Gordon at that ranking but I disagree viewing him as an elite WR1 would be chasing last year's stats. He's an ascending player with star talent in my opinion who was an elite WR1 this season with a QB situation that would be viewed as pedestrian on its best days. If the Browns are able to land a high-impact QB in the offseason there is every reason to believe Gordon can be a Top 3-5 fantasy WR based on his talent in my opinion.

I don't disagree about his talent. I guess I'm asking when the chips are down are you taking him over DT, Green, Dez and Marshall?
Depends who the QB is. In terms of pure talent he ranks right there with those guys in my opinion. What the Browns do in the offseason at QB is huge in terms of viewing Gordon's potential.

I'm also starting to sour a bit on Dez. He's a bit of a front-runner. Still an amazing talent and if Romo is healthy I still like him as a Top 5 upside WR. But I may drop him behind Marshall when it's all said and done.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 am

I think Gordon's proven he can be elite with any QB. And the Browns very quietly ranked 11th in passing yards (4,040) and tied for 11th in passing TDs (26) this year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

Maybe another pertinent question though is "How will he fare when his OC isn't as fond of the deep ball as Norv Turner?".

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:54 am

Sandman62 wrote:I think Gordon's proven he can be elite with any QB. And the Browns very quietly ranked 11th in passing yards (4,040) and tied for 11th in passing TDs (26) this year: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/

Maybe another pertinent question though is "How will he fare when his OC isn't as fond of the deep ball as Norv Turner?".
That's an excellent question but I think it would be offset by having a legitimate NFL quarterback to work with.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

TR

Post by TR » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:06 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:Greg and I posted a first round look at 2014 on our show from Vegas last week. We had John Hansen on the segment as well. He disagreed with my ranking of Eddie Lacy (7th overall). John likes him a lot but not that high. He also said that despite the large number of WRs sure to be available if you're picking in the latter part of the first round he's still likely going to take a RB with one of those two picks. Two guys he likes a lot are Le'Veon Bell and Marshawn Lynch. So don't be surprised if the Guru tells his readers next year to target one of those guys in the first two rounds while others are loading up on WRs.

Here were the Top 12 I listed on our show:

1. Jamaal Charles
2. LeSean McCoy
3. Matt Forte
4. Adrian Peterson
5. Calvin Johnson
6. Jimmy Graham
7. Eddie Lacy
8. Julio Jones
9. Josh Gordon
10. Demaryius Thomas
11. A.J. Green
12. Dez Bryant
I would take Leveon Bell over Lacy. Bell is on a more run committed team that will have Pouncey back next year and Steelers signing Munchak to be offensive line coach will only help the overall oline play. Bell already proven to be excellent in short passing game as well.

THEICON

Post by THEICON » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:02 pm

So first draft super bowl Sunday? YOU CAN LOCK IN THE ICON :D