If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

RiFF

Re: If you want to sign up for a super slow draft ...

Post by RiFF » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Good post Mark and good suggestions. We want to be the leader in this format and if changes like this can be done by our IT department and can enhance these leagues then we'll definitely do them. I've already sent your suggestions forward with the hope that we can do this for next season. We're working on the new online draft room now and the Live Scoring, but if this helps us expand the growth of this market then we have to look at everything to improve our site. Thanks for the info and we'll see what we can do.
Another thing that MFL offers that may not be explicit in Mark's post is that as you set your draft list for each round, you feel secure in listing players you want knowing that if all those players are drafted and your queue is empty when it gets to you the system does NOT pick from the default queue...you just go on the clock. So, for example, if you're going out or to bed and the draft is 7 picks away but you only feel comfortable queueing up 5 players...if those 5 players are taken you go on the clock and don't get stuck with a player off the default queue. I've found that in probably about 95%+ of the cases in this situation, a player in my queue is still abvailable when it gets to me. But this feature allows you too comfortably put players in your draft queue when the draft may still be 7 or 8 picks away.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:33 pm

RiFF wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:Good post Mark and good suggestions. We want to be the leader in this format and if changes like this can be done by our IT department and can enhance these leagues then we'll definitely do them. I've already sent your suggestions forward with the hope that we can do this for next season. We're working on the new online draft room now and the Live Scoring, but if this helps us expand the growth of this market then we have to look at everything to improve our site. Thanks for the info and we'll see what we can do.
Another thing that MFL offers that may not be explicit in Mark's post is that as you set your draft list for each round, you feel secure in listing players you want knowing that if all those players are drafted and your queue is empty when it gets to you the system does NOT pick from the default queue...you just go on the clock. So, for example, if you're going out or to bed and the draft is 7 picks away but you only feel comfortable queueing up 5 players...if those 5 players are taken you go on the clock and don't get stuck with a player off the default queue. I've found that in probably about 95%+ of the cases in this situation, a player in my queue is still abvailable when it gets to me. But this feature allows you too comfortably put players in your draft queue when the draft may still be 7 or 8 picks away.
Got it. Great idea.

The good news is the IT department said they are already planning on round-by-round Ques. We can add the average time per pick feature as well. Where should that appear? In the Draft History or next to each pick? This won't be part of the first wave of features in our new Online Draft Room, but it will appear at some time. I'm glad to see that we're in the process of adding the Round-by-Round Que and we'll add some time of time feature as well.

Thanks all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 pm

bald is beautiful wrote:Reading about the infamous Dietzman on this board, I have avoided any slow drafts here because I have little patience for guys like this. I decided to sign up for my first slow draft in a long time at another site today, as the last guy into the draft. I got the owners list, and Dietzman is in the league. Oh, joy. Any recommendations how I can tolerate this guy?
It's a shame he felt he had to leave our contest to compete in these Draft Champions leagues. A new customer lasted three months with us. Maybe you can spread the word over there Jack so that he returns back here.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Greg, here is what it looks like. MFL has a page which lists every draft paick in the draft. This is listed at the bnottom of that page. It might make sese to place it to the right of the draft board so when someone is viewing the draft board they also see this. Just a suggestion, therre may be a better spot.

Average Time Waiting For Pick To Be Made
Franchise Avg. Wait Time # Picks
FO 21 minutes 13
Az Rich 10 minutes 14
Follow Me 14 minutes 14
BuckeyeDawgs less than a minute 13
RKRJ 40 minutes 13
Naked Pygmies 1 hour, 16 minutes 13
Draft Master Veteran 2 hours, 30 minutes 14
Green Bowl Packers 1 hour, 1 minute 13
Jared-Syn 2 hours, 4 minutes 13
River Bandits 8 minutes 14
WNTW 42 minutes 13
ALPHA II 1 hour 13

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
bald is beautiful wrote:Reading about the infamous Dietzman on this board, I have avoided any slow drafts here because I have little patience for guys like this. I decided to sign up for my first slow draft in a long time at another site today, as the last guy into the draft. I got the owners list, and Dietzman is in the league. Oh, joy. Any recommendations how I can tolerate this guy?
It's a shame he felt he had to leave our contest to compete in these Draft Champions leagues. A new customer lasted three months with us. Maybe you can spread the word over there Jack so that he returns back here.
Its not a Draft Champion league.

IT8

Post by IT8 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:03 pm

There sure are a lot of squeaky wheels here. I get the value of it coming from 'veterans' to the site, but Tom and Greg would be foolish to ignore that the format is growing at a fast rate, despite the relatively small amount of complaints in here. You few are a small and outspoken portion of the population, in case you don't realize that.

If you're afraid of scaring off customers, let me tell you what you DO need to worry about. A few DCs ago, someone was taking most of their time for several rounds in a row. There was a lot of complaining in the chat (including one very vocal 'vet'), and someone took it upon themselves to Google this guy's name and find his work email and phone to send him incredibly vulgar messages anonymously.

Great job, vets. Great job making it easy to expand this format. Shameful.
Steve Geisbert

Erok

Post by Erok » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeppers.

I just found out about the D-man today.

Took him 1.5 hours to make the 2nd overall pick in Round 1 in this one.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:33 pm

The DC Slow Draft was a "pipe dream" of a couple NFFC/NFBC vets. The idea was to do a draft at a pace where a person could work, take care of family business and draft while still maintaining a good pace during the draft. The 8 hour clock was installed for sleeping. Greg/Tom were extremely open to this new idea of drafting. The main thing in the original "slow", was communication between the owners. If a person had to be away for a period of time, everybody new it and no one was upset as we waiting on him or her to pick. Bear in mind, this was before auto-one pick.

There are a lot of people that don't voice there opinion on this matter on these boards, but I'd venture to say most people would rather have a good pace to a slow than having to wait on the same person or two each and every day. My opinion, a slow draft that starts on a Friday and ends Sunday a week later is a good pace. That's 10 days and two full weekends for 35 players.

I do believe the only issue at hand is a few people getting into as many slow drafts as available. Understand, they have every right to do so, but when you're in multiple slow leagues, you are on the clock "all the time". Unless you're sitting at a computer all day, you can't keep the pace of the draft moving at a pace others would like. I also understand some drafters don't really care about the pace of the draft, but some DO.

There are a few that want a better pace and a few that don't care about pace.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm

It's simple. Inconsiderate drafters are clearly keeping owners from singing up for MORE leagues or even signing up at all. It's THAT simple. Stop raggn on vets. Without the vets making "fast" picks these drafts would take a month. Simple

IT8

Post by IT8 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Actually, what is SIMPLE is the fact that the format is expanding at an excellent pace. If that isn't sign enough that things aren't as dire as it is being painted here, I'm not sure what is.
Steve Geisbert