$996

CALI CARTEL

Re: $996

Post by CALI CARTEL » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:24 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Could the national media have gotten the Gordon news more wrong this past week if they tried? Think about it: Last Wednesday Gordon tweeted that he was resigned to missing the whole year and the media followed those reports even though negotiations between the NFLPA and owners was ongoing. Once word got out that a new HGH agreement would be part of the new CBA, reports ran rampant that Gordon could be reinstated and possibly starting on Sunday. Now he's going to miss 8 games?

It seems like everyone is trying to be first with the news rather than really digging for all the facts before breaking a story. And as a result, fans and fantasy owners twist with every new report. Get it right, rather than get it first.
Greg, a week ago today, Andre Ellington was out for at least 2 to 4 weeks; seems like "24 hour instant news" isn't such a great thing.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:Could the national media have gotten the Gordon news more wrong this past week if they tried? Think about it: Last Wednesday Gordon tweeted that he was resigned to missing the whole year and the media followed those reports even though negotiations between the NFLPA and owners was ongoing. Once word got out that a new HGH agreement would be part of the new CBA, reports ran rampant that Gordon could be reinstated and possibly starting on Sunday. Now he's going to miss 8 games?

It seems like everyone is trying to be first with the news rather than really digging for all the facts before breaking a story. And as a result, fans and fantasy owners twist with every new report. Get it right, rather than get it first.
Greg, a week ago today, Andre Ellington was out for at least 2 to 4 weeks; seems like "24 hour instant news" isn't such a great thing.
Agreed. And I'll admit, in the 11 years that we've been hosting live drafts I've never seen news on Draft Day (no matter what day that was) affect player values so much. Now granted, we didn't have Twitter in 2004, but the news about Gordon, Welker and others the First Weekend was just as fluent as it was on the Second Weekend. Every draft had different decisions to make based on the latest "scoops." It was crazy.

I'm sure it's a sign of things to come in the new age of scoop reporting. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:40 am

Coltsfan wrote:Just for the record, I didn't spend $996 but a good friend of mine did....And I can't fault him for it.

If the ban is 8 games then he was not worth the $900+ bids. He's worth much less. But if he had played 14 weeks then he was easily worth that amount imho. It's a gamble. If it ends up being 8 games I won't regret any of my bids because I felt like there was a reasonable chance that he played more games. We'll see. I don't mind taking chances and sometimes it works great - other times it doesn't. I still think I can piece together a team with my $20 - $50 remaining monies. I was pretty deep and I know what I'll be looking for on the wire. I just can't play as many matchups at Defense this year.

Wayne
Hey it was $992. Cut me some slack.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:42 am

I said good friend....I know your's was 992 :lol:

Old School

Post by Old School » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 am

...Even with an 8 game ban, might be a good buy here in the NFFC. With a 13 game FF season (which I prefer) there's more of a chance that he'll help you get to the playoffs and further. With an 11 game FF season (which I abhor) he wont even play till the playoffs begin since he wont play till week 10.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:10 am

Tom Kessenich wrote:In my opinion, if he's the difference in you winning your league title or not then he's worth every penny you spent, regardless of the amount. And there's no question in my opinion he has the talent to be that type of difference maker.

But Tom, buddy, you are playing the result.

IF before the waiver wire period on Wednesday we knew for certain he would be reinstated, then the conversation could be had on blowing your entire WW fund - but at the time of the waiver wire we did not know butkus - It was a gamble - a big one - That I still respectfully say I would not have taken -

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:35 am

wiljiro wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:In my opinion, if he's the difference in you winning your league title or not then he's worth every penny you spent, regardless of the amount. And there's no question in my opinion he has the talent to be that type of difference maker.

But Tom, buddy, you are playing the result.

IF before the waiver wire period on Wednesday we knew for certain he would be reinstated, then the conversation could be had on blowing your entire WW fund - but at the time of the waiver wire we did not know butkus - It was a gamble - a big one - That I still respectfully say I would not have taken -

W
All signs prior to Wednesday were pointing toward Gordon's suspension being reduced and him playing this season. I don't think it was a big gamble at all. The only thing we didn't know was how many games would he end up playing? The educated assumption was at least 8 - which is what appears will be the case - but even for six I would've gone in with an aggressive bid given his elite WR1 talent and upside.

Greg and I talked about this on our Sirius show this week and I said that I don't think a player of Gordon's talent will emerge on the WW the remainder of this season. I think we'll look back at this season and point directly to Gordon as the preeminent Waiver Wire pickup of the year. Hands down. I'm not surprised we saw so many $900+ bids for him and I don't think we'll be sitting here at the end of the season criticizing the people who made them. This guy is a proven stud and a first-round pick type of talent. He could very easily be the difference maker for a lot of championship teams this season.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:37 am

I still think 4 weeks of Josh Gordon + Playoffs plus whatever else you end up doing with your remaining $20-50 is far more likely than not to give you more in free agency than the majority of the remaining teams even with an 8 game suspension.

I didn't get him anywhere but count me among the people who would still consider paying $900+ (even if I'm the only one).

ALL-IN JD - Football

Post by ALL-IN JD - Football » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

What I am surprised nobody has mentioned is what if you spend all of this money on him but DONT make the playoffs? Everyone is saying you get him for 4-5 weeks AND the playoffs. What if, by spending 900+ for Gordon, the roster inflexibility by not having much in the way of FAAB dollars stops you from getting to the playoffs.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 am

ALL-IN JD - Football wrote:What I am surprised nobody has mentioned is what if you spend all of this money on him but DONT make the playoffs? Everyone is saying you get him for 4-5 weeks AND the playoffs. What if, by spending 900+ for Gordon, the roster inflexibility by not having much in the way of FAAB dollars stops you from getting to the playoffs.
A possibility. But 4 weeks of Josh Gordon is more likely to push you into the playoff than whatever else MOST people do with that $950.

The notion that you can't play matchup defenses or get contributors with that last $50 is completely unfounded. There were plenty of Streater level guys like year who could keep you afloat on the cheap.