OK What did You miss on or mess up on?

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Remember this is also in San Diego, They have Norv Turner who is in his 3rd year as the coach. Turner is only 19-13 in his first three years. The better coach was Schottenheimer who had a clue to evaluate players from 2002-2007. Norv rep is an offensive guru from 1991-1993. Not a good evaluator of players in Oakland and Washington.

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:13 pm

This is really a "no win" discussion at this point and will only be decided at season's end. But, I have to agree with the folks that see LT as a marginal RB this year. I didn't draft him on any teams (even passing on him in the 2nd round in a few drafts) for a couple of reasons. First, he has around 3200 touches so far in his NFL career. I don't know the exact split without looking it up, but I believe it's around 2700 rushing attempts and 500 receptions. So, that means he has figuratively been involved in 2700 "train wrecks' and 500 "car crashes". And when comparing the probability of LT incurring an injury vs. a 24 or 25 year old you must consider that wear and tear. So, although any player in the NFL is suseptible to injury, I believe an older player with the amount of wear and tear LT has incurred is much more suseptible. I believe the "nagging" injuries he's had over the last couple years are part of that process of him "breaking down". Obviously in hindsight it's easy to say an injury this year seemed inevitable....but it did to me. Also, to maintain his place on the team he was required to restructure his contract...i.e. take a pay cut. If he hadn't been willing to do that, he most likely would have been released...somewhat of an indication that the "expert player evaluators" on San Diego were concerned about LT's propects this year. Hence, their willingness to pay Sproles $6+ Million.
My 2nd concern was that this was no longer an LT run based offense; but a passing offense with Rivers as the centerpiece. This transition has been a couple years in the making and with the emergence of V Jax, and to a lesser degree Floyd and Nanee, and with a healthy Gates it seemed it would come to fruition this year.
Could he be a top 10 RB from weeks 6-16...I suppose it's possible, but I believe highly unlikely. even if he stays healthy and plays up to his 3200 touches, 30 year old potential; I don't see him getting sufficient touches to allow him to be a top 10 RB. He'll be splitting more with Sproles and SD RB's in general will get fewer opportunities.
Having said all that...I saw fit to draft Westbrook in a few leagues. :rolleyes: (But that's a different discussion)

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:13 pm

I must say, LT falling off saddens me. I might be alone in my thinking but I'm an NFL fan first and most players coming to the end makes me sad.

I guess that's why I continue to root for a guy like Favre even though most dislike what he's done regarding retirement.

I think part of it is me getting old. How sad is it to know that guys who've had a long and successful career are retiring when you remember watching them in College? Makes me feel old.

As for who I missed, I took Welker, could've had Vincent Jackson.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Ahh, so true Just Russ. Same goes for me watching Edgerrin James this year. Seems like he fell off the map pretty quickly too. And Marvin Harrison.

Just 2 years ago, Marvin was being drafted ahead of Reggie Wayne. Now he's not even in the league. It saddens me too as I always thought Marvin was one of the more classy wide receivers in the nfl.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:17 pm

I wouldn't even regret Welker over Jackson... maybe it's just me but I'd take the little guy from this point forward.

As for LT, I think a lot of people saw (even before the injury) that he wasn't making many tacklers miss. I thought he was good because of his team last year (and they always seemed to look better with Sproles last year). LT could put up good statistics if SD's offense gets it together, but in general I think a running back's ability to put up numbers is as much based on his team as his own abilities.

so count me in the lt is done camp

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm jumping in late here, so I hope I'm not repeating an older post, but since San Diego is the topic de jur...With the condition of the O-Line and running game, it may be an excellent opportunity for Rivers to score major fantasy numbers this year. I liked him before, but with no running game, I like him even more. Does anyone think he can out do his 34 TD season last year?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 pm

Originally posted by Diesel:
I'm jumping in late here, so I hope I'm not repeating an older post, but since San Diego is the topic de jur...With the condition of the O-Line and running game, it may be an excellent opportunity for Rivers to score major fantasy numbers this year. I liked him before, but with no running game, I like him even more. Does anyone think he can out do his 34 TD season last year? Yes, and with a banged up defense there will be a lot of shootouts. And they don't seem capable of run-blocking in the red zone in particular, so I think you'll see a lot of red zone passes or Rivers running it himself.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:46 pm

Gee, sure missed a big one there, hey Snake?

Unless someone predicted LT2's injury and the banged-up SD defense, I don't see how Rivers could be ranked so high? Or maybe it's just cuz I can't stand watching him throw (like a girl)?