6 Viable Options For 2012 FAAB In The NFFC In 2012

bobsgym

Post by bobsgym » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:13 am

Many of the 'Friday only' concerns would be alleviated with one easy innovative solution:

NO MORE KICKERS!!!
Wayne Ellis's Waterboy

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 am

Originally posted by BobSquad:
Many of the 'Friday only' concerns would be alleviated with one easy innovative solution:

NO MORE KICKERS!!! Agreed. Sold. I'm all in. Bingo. At worst, Team Kicker.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:36 am

Originally posted by BobSquad:

NO MORE KICKERS!!! Sorry Bob. Kickers aren't going anywhere.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:39 am

Tom, any thoughts on what software changes will be made to accommodate two waiver periods if they're not both FULL waiver runs? Thanks.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
Tom, any thoughts on what software changes will be made to accommodate two waiver periods if they're not both FULL waiver runs? Thanks. Are you referring to a Wednesday period for Thursday game only players, Mike? If so, we've talked to our tech guys and they can accommodate that if we decide to go that route.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 am

If it cannot be programmed to be able to enter waivers for all players for Friday if the awful Thursday game only idea is implemented, then there will actually be far less time for people to get the waivers entered. So if time is the issue, as some people are trying to claim, then Wednesday would easily be the way to go as those people would have an extra night.

Reasons Thursday only is an awful idea.
1. No conditional bids on those players so you are ridiculously hamstrung.
2. You have to analyze the entire pool, essentially doing the entire free agent pool twice most weeks, causing a ludicrous amount of extra time, and forcing the cut down of teams for some.
3. Never in any fantasy game have I heard of something as absurd as not bidding on all free agents at the same time.
4. It creates far less skill involved than having players read between the lines. I am for skill not luck.

Positives.

None.

[ February 13, 2012, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Cocktails and Dreams ]

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:56 am

Yes. And specifically in reference to my post yesterday asking if the software would allow us to enter FRIDAY waiver period bids on the days before the Wed. run.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
Positives.

None. Hilarious! :D

Chad, it's not just the actual time to enter transactions that is the major issue here. It's what happens between Wednesday night and Friday night/Saturday morning that is the problem. There is just too much uncertainty with regards to injuries and playing time issues to make roster decisions 4 and 5 days from the majority of games.

The best comp I can come up with is in baseball. During the All-Star Break, we still do pickups on Sunday night -- even though there are no games until Thursday. We don't know how the pitching rotations will be set, nor do we know the status of day-to-day players. Still, we're making moves on Sunday, just like we do every other "normal" week of the season. The end result is a lot of poor pickups. Maybe we grab a starting pitcher who ends up not starting, or a 4th outfielder that gets no playing time at the end of the week. What makes it palatable is that's it's only ONE WEEK out of 26, and a short (3 or 4 days) one at that.

I said last week that we are in uncharted territory with regards to free agency. We have never had to deal with early week pickups every week of the season in the history of HSFF. Not in WCOFF, not in FFPC and not here at the NFFC. These new conditions require forward thinking, not just doing like we've always done it.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:32 am

I play HSFF at nine places, 7 of which have always ran primary waivers before Thursday game, EVERY week, even before they kicked in. This includes my biggest 3 leagues by far, in terms of money, being run on Tuesday night. Works very well in my opinion. I like the slight uncertainty of information, which is way overblown by many on here by the way. Creates more uncertainty, which is a good thing. Sort of like the draft itself.

[ February 13, 2012, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Cocktails and Dreams ]

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 am

Originally posted by Cocktails and Dreams:
I play HSFF at nine places, 7 of which have always ran primary waivers before Thursday game, EVERY week, even before they kicked in. Works very well in my opinion. I like the slight uncertainty of information, which is way overblown by many on here by the way. Creates more uncertainty, which is a good thing. Sort of like the draft itself. Would you prefer drafting right before the NFL season, or in July? How do you think most fantasy owners would feel, given that choice?

Information is king.