Would You Be In Favor Of Ranking Your Draft Spots?

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:28 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Let's go back to the battle we started in Las Vegas, seeing who drinks the most Corona's!!! :D Lightweights! Let's have a vodka & tonic battle.

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:39 pm

lightweight = efficient
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)

Bezoar

Post by Bezoar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:50 am

In general I feel that bidding for draft positions would be interesting and somewhat novel. But I have a vague feeling that it would lessen my enjoyment of participating in the league.

When I thought about that perception I realized that I would miss the randomness of the current method of draft slot assignment. I enjoy the experience of drafting first some years, drafting last some years, drafting two off of the turn some years and drafting in the middle of the pack some years. I would be against the proposal, not because it is a bad idea, rather because I enjoy the variety that random assignment brings. Besides, I can always blame my poor performance on the draft spot assignment if it is random.

I should add that I am only in the auction league this year(because I prefer auction and I only wanted to participate in one league during my first adventure into the NFFC) but I do intend to extend my adventure next year into the Draft Master and possibly the Main event as well. I would therefore call myself a new recruit and even if the rule were implemented I still believe that I would prefer the NFFC over the other competition that drafts in Vegas.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:38 am

Bezoar, that is definitely a valid point, but since probability resets itself everytime, there is no guarantee you will draft from the bottom, middle, and top spot of the draft. I can only speak fron my own experience. I have been in 9 events in the NFFC since last year's first season, and I've seen 11-14 spots so much, I have been called the King of Double Digits(althought Eddie Gillis must be close)....So as much as I'd love the chance of drafting at different spots each year, there's NO guarantee that you'll ever see 1-3. With the bidding method, you always have the chance of any spot you like best...Much like the Auction that you joined, knowing that you can own any player you like best, if you want to spend the money on him.

I will be in the NFFC no matter what the method of picking drafts spots is, but I thought I would put my 2 cents in here. The NFFC is run better than any Fantasy League I've ever participated in.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Bezoar

Post by Bezoar » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:00 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
... I can only speak fron my own experience. I have been in 9 events in the NFFC since last year's first season, and I've seen 11-14 spots so much, I have been called the King of Double Digits(althought Eddie Gillis must be close).... Anecdotal experience trumps stastistical theory every time :D

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:53 am

Originally posted by Bezoar:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
... I can only speak fron my own experience. I have been in 9 events in the NFFC since last year's first season, and I've seen 11-14 spots so much, I have been called the King of Double Digits(althought Eddie Gillis must be close).... Anecdotal experience trumps stastistical theory every time :D [/QUOTE]:D :D :D Although ... this is the real reason I wanted in a league with Marc ... I knew he would take out one of those crappy draft spots for me!!! :cool:

UYT
Hakuna Matata!

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:37 am

LMAO...Damn Tomatoes! :D ...To all newbies, this year or next. Fear the Tomatoes! You'll know what I mean sooner or later...lol
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

renman

Post by renman » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:29 am

Though I am completely receptive to the idea of bidding for draft posts once the event is sold out for entries and we know that new concept wont slow interest in the event from new owners... i do have a question...

what is the DOWN SIDE to Gregs derby style of picking draft order? I have seen many experienced NFFC owners say they prefer the bidding idea over the derby idea. I am wondering what the down side is to the derby idea. and if you had to choose between the current random draft picking and the derby draft picking and the bidding option was not an option, what would you choose and why?

i see the derby idea as hugely more interesting and fair then the random "you get where you are picked" currently system.

[ October 15, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: renman ]

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:24 am

Originally posted by renman:
Though I am completely receptive to the idea of bidding for draft posts once the event is sold out for entries and we know that new concept wont slow interest in the event from new owners... i do have a question...

what is the DOWN SIDE to Gregs derby style of picking draft order? I have seen many experienced NFFC owners say they prefer the bidding idea over the derby idea. I am wondering what the down side is to the derby idea. and if you had to choose between the current random draft picking and the derby draft picking and the bidding option was not an option, what would you choose and why?

i see the derby idea as hugely more interesting and fair then the random "you get where you are picked" currently system. I agree that the derby idea would be better than random.

However, if I give the current random selection a "1", the derby would be like a "3" (maybe?), and the bidding is a "9.9".

The derby idea just isn't a big enough inprovement to make the change IMO.

It is like if a woman is going to have a boob job, HAVE the boob job! Don't just increase them a little, go for the Dolly Parton look alikes! :D

Robert Zarzycki

Post by Robert Zarzycki » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:37 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
quote:Originally posted by renman:

i see the derby idea as hugely more interesting and fair then the random "you get where you are picked" currently system. I agree that the derby idea would be better than random.

However, if I give the current random selection a "1", the derby would be like a "3" (maybe?), and the bidding is a "9.9".

The derby idea just isn't a big enough inprovement to make the change IMO.

It is like if a woman is going to have a boob job, HAVE the boob job! Don't just increase them a little, go for the Dolly Parton look alikes! :D
[/QUOTE]Way to go Billy!!! -z-
Robert Zarzycki
Author of Drafting To Win & Fantasy Football's Big Six (AuthorHouse.com)