NFL Lockout Thread

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 27, 2011 2:54 am

Oh goodie, goodie, more court news. The NFL made their final written arguments to the Eighth District Court of Appeals yesterday. It looks like their well paid law firms more than did their job and legal precedence will retain this temporary stay. Here's the story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6597017
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 am

100 DAYS UNTIL THE NFL OPENER AT LAMBEAU FIELD: SAINTS VS. PACKERS!!! :D

Do you think we'll make that opener? If so, then 100 days until I see some of you folks in Las Vegas at our Primetime drafts. And less than 100 days until the NFFC drafts begin on Labor Day weekend. It's almost silly to do the countdown now with a labor agreement miles away.

I guess the real countdown is three, as in three more days until the court hearing in St. Louis. And then after that it's 4-8 weeks, as in 4-8 weeks until the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals makes a ruling. Boy these timelines are just crazy. Let's hope the St. Louis judges rule one way or another quickly and we can get some negotiations going between the owners and players. Or should a miracle arise, maybe June 7th is our new miracle date as that's the date for the next set of mediations between the owners and players. Someone use some common sense there and find a middle ground to solve this mess.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

kentucky

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by kentucky » Tue May 31, 2011 2:47 am

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I'm having a difficult time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We're in June, another possible 4-8 weeks COULD put us mid July or close to August. They're not negotiating now, or at least publicly, and this is all going to get done before opening day. I'm beginning to see a shortened season at best.

Somebody needs to give me the optimistic side so I can see the light. :confused:
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 31, 2011 2:51 am

I still believe the season will start on time. Nothing is happening now and nobody should have expected anything to happen until the next hearing on June 3. Neither side is interested in negotiating until then. Once the appeals court rules in favor of the owners again (which appears to be a 99.9% certainty) then we'll see if either side is willing to sit and really figure this mess out. Both sides want one more round in court. Hopefully, that will be the last one.

[ May 31, 2011, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 31, 2011 3:23 am

Originally posted by KyThunder:
I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I'm having a difficult time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We're in June, another possible 4-8 weeks COULD put us mid July or close to August. They're not negotiating now, or at least publicly, and this is all going to get done before opening day. I'm beginning to see a shortened season at best.

Somebody needs to give me the optimistic side so I can see the light. :confused: I'm with you Bill. I just don't see any urgency on the part of the players or owners to get this done, but I agree with Tom that everyone is going to play this out in the Eighth Circuit and wait for that ruling to see who has the legal advantage. If that gets done in early July, hopefully both sides will be prepared to negotiate before training camps open and a deal can be struck. If not before training camps open, then maybe by the first week of August. Any later than that and the season opener is definitely in jeopardy, don't you agree?

Does the NFL really want to lose revenue from cancelling pre-season games? Even that is a pretty good revenue source for teams. Do they want to cancel the season openers on Sept. 11th, the 10th anniversary of 9/11? Let's hope not. There is just too much money at stake here for both sides to let this go past Aug. 1st. July will be the time you'll see movement on both sides, but unlikely before that.

That's my optimistic view, for what it's worth. It doesn't provide much more sunshine on the situation, but I think that's our best case scenario these days. Anyone agree?

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 31, 2011 3:33 am

Well, so much for the sunshine Bill!! :D Here's Cris Collinsworth's take:

I am so convinced that the NFL will not start on time, that I have taken a job as the receivers coach at Highlands High School. Start today.

Wow. Collinsworth has been the most pessimistic NFL announcer out there and he continues to be that way with today's tweet. He has predicted a November settlement, which seems crazy. Sorry, but I'm not following the NFL if they start in November. They need to be punished if that's the case. I hope Collinsworth is wrong here, but it didn't help to bring any sunshine to this thread!!! :D

Diesel

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Diesel » Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 am

My opinion is the NFL will start on time. Worst case scenario is they will start 1-3 weeks late. But will have a full season.

I'm sure the fantasy contests have different ideas in mind, in case on any kind of shortened season occurs.

What is really turning my stomach is that even though I believe the season will begin on time, I'm seeing that if and when it does begin, we as fans and fantasy players will flock to it, and deal with it. In turn, the owners and players alike will know that even though they put us through all of this BS, we still came back. Their heads and egos will become bigger than they already are. A formal boycott from the fans is the only thing that would humble them, but of course we're all hooked on this sport of Football, so we won't boycott.and they know it.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 am

It looks like the Players Association -- even though it apparently disbanded -- will pick up the costs for the previously cancelled Rookie Symposium. Here's the latest on that June event:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... index.html

Erok

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Erok » Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

This whole thing is a joke IMO. So let me get this straight.......

In a few days a judge will convene and decide if what has been going on is legal. However, he will not decide for 4-8 more weeks??????

They all need to be Locked Into a room until their asses work out a deal.

It is pathetic that a league this big cant collectively bargain and finalize a deal.

Tom Kessenich

NFL Lockout Thread

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:26 am

Originally posted by W. Klown:
This whole thing is a joke IMO. So let me get this straight.......

In a few days a judge will convene and decide if what has been going on is legal. However, he will not decide for 4-8 more weeks??????Potentially yup. And both sides appear more than willing to go this route, which only adds to the insanity. Nothing is going to happen until one side shows a legitimate effort to negotiate and that means making some form of a concession. That's how the process will work and it's the only way it will work that I can see. I'm not saying one side has to cave (although the players might end up caving if the legal route goes the way it appears it will), but at least show you're willing to negotiate by making a concession or two to get the ball rolling. The fact neither side is making that attempt tells me that neither side is seriously interested in negotiating at the present time.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich