Who's Coming To The 2010 NFFC In Boston?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:12 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I'm shocked Boston hasn't caught on as well.

That hotel rate, and getting to hang in Beantown SHOULD be a great draw. :(

First step in my opinion for next year would be to dump Buffalo. Right now there are 3 cities (Boston, Buffalo, and NY) which are in a 6-7 hour drive "triangle".

Personally I would rather go to Boston than NY. Problem is it seems like having both is like "robbing Peter to pay Paul". You're right Billy, we've given the East Coast some options and you know folks have asked us to go to Boston for years. So we did. But we've also had 130+ drafters in New York in the past and right now we're less than halfway there among the three cities. So there are more reasons for this drop in participation and it's obvious that right now we're not robbing enough from Peter to pay Paul, right?

Again, I hope folks don't think it's not from a lack of trying. We were very aggressive in trying to grow the live events business. Everyone thought that Fanball would just buy the NFFC and turn it into an online business. Instead, they put a lot of money up and tried to grow the multi-city live-event format. I give everyone credit for stepping up with us on that. We can handle the Boston contract if we don't hit a home run there. Again, I just want my customers to be happy and know what the situation is on Draft Day. And if they want the big draft experience, New York and Citi Field is still there for them as an option. Everyone can switch there if they want to.

We've learned a lesson. Our contest and another contest still get a lot of their main event participants to draft online. The costs of hosting these live events has increased every year and it's tough to justify these days. This will shape my opinions on this part of the business in the future for sure. But again, it wasn't from a lack of trying or contact with customers because we have been emailing and calling our lists for months. The economy and other factors are preventing us from reaching those goals, but we'll keep pushing. These last two weeks always bring results.

I'll do whatever the Boston folks say and we'll hook up with another city if we have to in order to mix up the competition for the Classic and the Primetime. New York is open for business with Mets' tickets available if you switch there. Just tell me soon so that I can work with every other customer in Boston ASAP. We are not running away from this problem, we will address it with each and every owner today.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:14 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
I'm shocked Boston hasn't caught on as well.

That hotel rate, and getting to hang in Beantown SHOULD be a great draw. :(

First step in my opinion for next year would be to dump Buffalo. Right now there are 3 cities (Boston, Buffalo, and NY) which are in a 6-7 hour drive "triangle".

Personally I would rather go to Boston than NY. Problem is it seems like having both is like "robbing Peter to pay Paul". could not be more on the money billy. i cant believe boston does not hat at least 3 leagues. for the price boston is a great deal. this was perfect for me. not interested in beinf stuck at citifield in the middle of nothing and who wants to go to buffalo. boston is a great roadtrip.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

nolencole

Post by nolencole » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 am

Game for whatever....Just let me know the details

Its not just driving there for some of us.
mc
a.k.a. ALABAMA ABANDONED

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:26 am

snake , grant you the economy is bad but people still put up good money and they travel to live events. how many mass or rhode island teams are there. you mean to tell me boston is not a good place for them. at 150.00 for the night you are staying in a 5 star hotel. my opinion is that it is spread to thin with buffalo rite there. there is got to be a newspaper add with maybe a coupon in it to get out in sunday paper this week. if thats not a good idea then lets think fast and save boston.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 am

I've already said a couple of times that if I was confident that Boston could of got a full DC AND auction, I would of been throwing back beers with you at Fenway on Friday night, Frank (and everyone else as well)!

My wife and I went to Boston last summer for the first time ever, and it is definitely one of our favorite cities.

[ August 12, 2010, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: BillyWaz ]

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:37 am

I'm not sure Buffalo is impacting Boston in any way. Looking at the signups, those are either some new folks who specifically want to go to Buffalo or are ones who live in Buffalo or are ones from New York who otherwise would be joining me in New York.

Like Greg said, we've been told for some time Boston was a place we needed to expand to and the initial response was real strong. Unfortunately, the momentum has stopped there. But we'll figure this out. If some folks want to move to New York, let us know and we'll get that done. For the DC, it could be a combination of Boston and another city (New York perhaps). We'll figure this out but we need to know what you guys want to do so let us know and let's figure this out together.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 am

I like Chicago a lot as well. I got a HS buddy I'm gonna hook up with this year, and the guys drafting in Chicago are just great guys!

Never been to Frisco (but would like to go).

Not to derail this thread, but other favorites (in no particular order)....

Denver
Austin
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
San Antonio

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 am

one thing snake is that you say nyc is first on your list. i love it also. but citifield is in no way nyc. its in the middle of nothing and im not taking a subway back and forth to the city and back. i understand that it was money to stay there but if your telling me some hotel wont give you a room rate block in this economy i have to differ with you.