Free Agency 2X Per Week

kjduke

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:13 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Just to interject: The intent of the second waiver wire isn't to double anyone's work load. Players who were cut earlier that week would NOT go into the FAAB pool until the next week, so the extra work you'd have is checking to see if any of the players you had intended to pick up were actually left alone. And maybe we make the second FAAB a minimum $25 or $50 pickup to make sure folks aren't just sitting back until then to pick up a $1 defense or kicker. Make it cost more if you use the second waiver wire.

Anyway, this is just part of the discussion for this idea. It's a worthy idea but it needs more work than just saying we'll do it. The key is if there is an interest in this idea to figure out if there is a way to do it right without overburdening the players because I don't want NFFC members playing less contests from this idea. Greg, to me the burden is having FAAB too early in the week. If it was only for a few players its not much of a burden, but having to do all of your lineup and player analysis for the weekend by Wednesday is very much a burden.

Would it be possible for STATS to lock all free agents for a Wednesday waiver period except those who play on Thursday?

kjduke

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by kjduke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:20 am

Jersey - STATS allows you to leave a roster spot empty now, so that isn't a hindrance to my suggestion of Thursday-players only being available on Wednesday.

mikeybok

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by mikeybok » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:23 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:
First, maybe I'm reading you wrong about this, but there is no way you can skip over the Thursday game and have a Friday only. This is a step backwards in the fantasy game.
Yes .... skipping over a Wednesday game is no problem for me. I plan ahead and don't plan on getting into a situation where I NEED a player from the Thursday's game. This is almost a non issue. I bet there is less than one player per league drafted on Wednesday and played on Thursday ... or even from the team that played on Thursday.

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

I'm really surprised you have a partner I thought you were the brains in the outfit. I guess you need some sunlight to ripen that yellow tomato! No ... I barely understand what's going on in this contest. I am the eye candy of this organization. I just type what Darryl tells me too! ;)
Hakuna Matata!

Jersey Dawg

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Jersey Dawg » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:31 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Jersey - STATS allows you to leave a roster spot empty now, so that isn't a hindrance to my suggestion of Thursday-players only being available on Wednesday. KJ - I just noticed that. Therefore there is little reason to even have a Weds night waiver period at all. Can anyone give me an example of why it is Sooooo necessary to have a waiver period on Weds night just because games are played on Thursday? Again, I can not really see a true reason at all. If you have Favre and Cassel playing Thursday and both are hurt/out and you have nobody else, leave your QB field "blank" by benching both players. Friday night simply pick up a QB for Sunday. Seems simple enough.

As for waivers in general, Saturday seems to make more sense than Friday; but I will not rock the boat on that. That "other: league runs them on Friday and many of us play both. Might as well keep it the same. I am not a big fan of the "other" leagues Weds/Friday waiver periods.

Pete

[ November 15, 2008, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Jersey Dawg ]

BubbasHouse

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by BubbasHouse » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:46 am

CCD-

And ugly eye candy on top of it! There's a reason why Big Mike (UYT) is on the internet and not on TV...

- Bubba (Brains of the outfit)

Captain Hook

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:00 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:
Jersey - STATS allows you to leave a roster spot empty now, so that isn't a hindrance to my suggestion of Thursday-players only being available on Wednesday. KJ - I just noticed that. Therefore there is little reason to even have a Weds night waiver period at all. Can anyone give me an example of why it is Sooooo necessary to have a waiver period on Weds night just because games are played on Thursday? Again, I can not really see a true reason at all. If you have Favre and Cassel playing Thursday and both are hurt/out and you have nobody else, leave your QB field "blank" by benching both players. Friday night simply pick up a QB for Sunday. Seems simple enough.

Pete
[/QUOTE]But otoh Pete - if you have one or two of your "starting" WR on bye (or injured or unsure) and there is a report out early in the week that Cotchery won't be playing in the Thursday night game and Stuckey is a free agent in your league....and in your opinion a good play and thus would be at the top of your weekly FA list, the ability on either Wed or Thurs to pick up a player would allow you a shot to get him and activate him.

Greg Ambrosius

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:05 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Just to interject: The intent of the second waiver wire isn't to double anyone's work load. Players who were cut earlier that week would NOT go into the FAAB pool until the next week, so the extra work you'd have is checking to see if any of the players you had intended to pick up were actually left alone. And maybe we make the second FAAB a minimum $25 or $50 pickup to make sure folks aren't just sitting back until then to pick up a $1 defense or kicker. Make it cost more if you use the second waiver wire.

Anyway, this is just part of the discussion for this idea. It's a worthy idea but it needs more work than just saying we'll do it. The key is if there is an interest in this idea to figure out if there is a way to do it right without overburdening the players because I don't want NFFC members playing less contests from this idea. Greg, to me the burden is having FAAB too early in the week. If it was only for a few players its not much of a burden, but having to do all of your lineup and player analysis for the weekend by Wednesday is very much a burden.

Would it be possible for STATS to lock all free agents for a Wednesday waiver period except those who play on Thursday?
[/QUOTE]I don't know, but I can ask. I don't know if we could have a $50 minimum bid for just the second FAAB period either, but I can ask. I need to see if any of this deserves merit or if our system is fine the way it is.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

RC Techies

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by RC Techies » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:45 am

I noted that I was in favor of 2 free agency periods. What I dislike is the Wednesday free agency. Last week I ran out of time due to business concerns and missed picking up defenses for several satellite leagues. As a result I played without a defense in several of those leagues. I had to concentrate on making decisions in those leagues where I am in contention (WCOFF, FPCC and NFFC). While I am not going to win in those satellite leagues, I was playing teams that are still in contention and wanted to be competitive for the other teams in the league. I am finding that having waivers on Wednesday really hurts my ability to spend time preparing free agency drafts. If the free agency draft stays as is, I will probably not play any satellite leagues next year.

I have no objection to having just one waiver period on Friday or Saturday. I prefer Saturday. However, I strongly oppose having the waiver wire only on Wednesdays.

Captain Hook

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:45 am

I am totally against any minimum bids for ANY FAAB bids - totally ridiculous

RC Techies

Free Agency 2X Per Week

Post by RC Techies » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 am

Have to agree with Captain. I would have been eliminated from bidding. I entered November with only $51 left off my $1000. Why should a kicker cost $25 or $50. Obviously would change the whole strategy to how you spend your money. I can't see the purpose behind penalizing people who want to pick up players and wait until week 10, 11, 12 and 13 to do so.