Draft Process: Are You In Favor Of A Change?

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:45 pm

gekko...

the 14th owner DOES NOT "get whats left in the trash bin" unless the 13 owners before him picked the EXACT SAME DRAFT POSITIONS HE CHOSE.. and only his "trash bin option" is left over...

no one logical would think that is likely to happen... mock all you want gekko, the derby concept is not the joke you love to make it out to be. it DOES give owners some control over where on a draft board they end up, it DOES offer a little randomness to the process (which some seem to like) and it will give most, if not all owners a positive result (even the guys picked later) due to everyone having vastly different preferences as to where on the draft board they wish to be...

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:00 pm

kentucky dufus method...
owners #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ---> All get their preferences evaluated when selecting draft slots

owner #14 ---> his draft slot preferences are NOT evaluated

[ October 27, 2005, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:16 pm

kentucky dufus method will be the standard for both the NFBC and NFFC next year. Gekko give it up. This was already decided before any polls were taken.

renman

Post by renman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:19 pm

gekko...

who cares if owner 14 got his draft slots evaluated? he is NOT GETTING HIS 14TH favorite position!!! because the previous 13 owners will not have picked his exact same preferences. are you more into the "evaluation" of favorite draft positions or what spot people actually end up? the main point is that people will end up in and around where they personally wish to prior to the draft.

the 14th chosen owner is likely to get his 5th-10th favorite positions and could get lucky and get higher then that...

none of this takes into consideration that having control over where on a draft board one falls is TOTALLY OVERRATED in terms of seasonal success. well after a draft has happened, and results have been played out it is easy to say "oh, those who picked at the top had the advantage or those who picked in the middle or at the bottom blah blah blah..."

this changes year to year and controlling where we end up is really just about giving owners the sensation they are in control of a situation where having control means very little.

[ October 27, 2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: renman ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:45 pm

Originally posted by renman:
gekko...

the 14th chosen owner is likely to get his 5th-10th favorite positions and could get lucky and get higher then that...

Ren, 5 to 10 is not likely. More like 11-13 85% of the time.

14th would wind up pick 10-11-12, almost all the time.

I've done many of these over the years, and the order rarely changes drastically.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-14-8-13-9-10-11-12, or something close to that. You never know though. Nothing is 100%.

14 usually goes somehere between 8 and 12. About 30% of the time, 14 is the only one that changes.

I still like it better than random.

The process is fair because going in, it's the same for all owners and being randomly drawn.

14 right now has to take 14. The only thing derby could do is move it up, and how could 14 argue that?

Fisher asked and Greg answered a good question. There are some issues where the inmates can't run the asylum. This is one of them.

This is Greg's boat, and he needs to do what is best in the long run. I know what I'd do, that is well documented. If he went with bidding, I'd stand behind him like he stands behind me at the tables and all will be fine. ;)
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:57 pm

kentucky dufus supporters --->

kentucky dufus #14 owner --->

BBDS supporters --->

[ October 28, 2005, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

ultimatefs

Post by ultimatefs » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:41 pm

Gecko when Greg doesn't go with BBDS
Jules is a Dirt bag and makes my luck.

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:55 am

UFS..

i know many owners who would choose picks 11-14 as some of their favorite choices... i just think there is no way to predict where owners would want to draft from. i know guys who came into this years draft saying "i hope to get the 10th spot because i have to have jamal lewis because he will bust out this season with motivation from being in jail!" different owners want different spots in a draft. the 14th selected owner only gets the 14th spot if everyone listed the exact same slots.

you are 100% right in that it is FAIR because everyone has the same CHANCE to be chosen for their favorite position. the point with the derby system is that that most will end up in some portion of the draft board that they were interested in or are comfortable with. yes, some people will get their very favorite spot and some will get maybe their middle of the road spot. everyone who has a clue about fantasy football knows that controlling where on the draft board you start from will have a VERY MINIMAL effect on your fantasy season in terms of you controlling it. prior to a draft we cannot predict where on a board will end up being the best to start from...though some here love to say they can...lol

i agree this is gregs boat.. and thus far he and tom have steered it quite well in my opinion. i liked this league so much i recruited 3 new people into it. and tried for more. while doing this i heard some of the things and reasons people were wary of joining a high stakes league. that is why i have brought up the thoughts about some owners who would be new to such an event maybe being scared off by things foreign like bbds... the funny thing is gekko, like many i have seen on message boards, feeds of the hostility and flat out makes up things i (and maybe other people) never say. i like bbds.. i think there is merit to it. i think it is interesting. however, we do not need gekko coming here and mocking this other idea by calling it a "kentucky dufus" concept when in my opinion it is a great idea and would be fun for lots of people, would give everyone SOME say in where on a draft board they end up, would add a little flavor to the weeks leading up to the draft and is simple enough to NOT scary newer owners away...

is it so bad that i respect gregs idea (very similar to one i brought up last year on this board as we were all brainstorming ideas) and prefer new fresh eyes be able to see the positive in it without having to be swayed into thinking it is some idiot (simply because of one guys opinion) concept when it is not?

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:14 am

the funny thing is gekko, like many i have seen on message boards, feeds of the hostility and flat out makes up things i (and maybe other people) never say. you said it, can you prove it? thanks.

it is a great idea and would give everyone SOME say in where on a draft board they end upNO say for owner #14

kentucky dufus #14 owner --->

renman

Post by renman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:41 am

gekko,

we would need months if you wanted me to give examples of you taking something out of context or made up an implied point that no one was implying that you respond to... because i would have too many examples to choose from...lol

you ignore that it is very likely that all owners will end up in some area of a draft board they are ok with... and you also ignore the fact that adding something complex like bbds could deter new unsettled owners from joining...

i know you are mostly into mocking and icons and other silly things... and you are less interested in the growth of the event or productive conversation on this topic...

if you ever change and do want to contribute to the topic in a productive manner.. let us all know...