Early Season NFFC Draft Results

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Early Season NFFC Draft Results

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:48 pm

DonnyG. wrote:Now that's what i'm talking about. Oh to sit at number 12 and have mjd and cam come to me in the first 12 rounds. Can't ask for a better start from my view. But why in good god's name would that owner draft eli there after taking his qb in the 1st round? Now that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Personally i don't care what kind of draft it is, TWO qb's in the first 3 rounds? Does anybody really think he'll finish anywhere besides last?
Donny, remember this is Third Round Reversal, something we use in all of our NFFC drafts, so that owner got Hakeem Nicks, not Eli. The Third Round starts out 14-1. I'll list that going forward so everyone remembers to look in reverse order that way when analyzing these results.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
DonnyG. wrote:Now that's what i'm talking about. Oh to sit at number 12 and have mjd and cam come to me in the first 12 rounds. Can't ask for a better start from my view. But why in good god's name would that owner draft eli there after taking his qb in the 1st round? Now that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Personally i don't care what kind of draft it is, TWO qb's in the first 3 rounds? Does anybody really think he'll finish anywhere besides last?
Donny, remember this is Third Round Reversal, something we use in all of our NFFC drafts, so that owner got Hakeem Nicks, not Eli. The Third Round starts out 14-1. I'll list that going forward so everyone remembers to look in reverse order that way when analyzing these results.

Greg,

Stafford went 1.07
That spot also picks 2.08 and 3.08, right?

3.08 was Eli, so that guy did go Stafford-Jennings-Eli from what it looks like

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Greg, to make it easier to view the drafts you post, would you be able to cut and paste the first 6 rounds of the actual draft board (in all its color-coded glory)?

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Greg,

Stafford went 1.07
That spot also picks 2.08 and 3.08, right?

3.08 was Eli, so that guy did go Stafford-Jennings-Eli from what it looks like
So i'm a little confused here but i do know about the third round reversal. Still if that's the case here WHY would anyone pick 2 qb's from their first 3 picks? Especially in hsff? It really makes no sense to me and seems like a rookie mistake. Sorry if it sounds too strong but wow. Why would anyone do that when building your team? I would love to hear what that owner might have been thinking hey maybe we can all learn something from him right?

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:54 pm

My only thought is that maybe his theory with the Draft Champions format is that having a pair of QB's with good overlapping schedules (DET/NYG isn't my top passing schedule combo, but it's a fairly solid option) will allow him to have a big anchor score each week at QB -- then his depth at the other positions will be able to make up any shortcomings from not having a 3rd round pick.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Plus even a QB like Stafford had 7 games of 25 or less points. So he has a shot that Eli would do better in those weeks and he can get an extra 5-10 PPG from his QB position. And with the depth this year at WR, maybe he felt it better to lock up QB?

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Sandman62 wrote:Plus even a QB like Stafford had 7 games of 25 or less points. So he has a shot that Eli would do better in those weeks and he can get an extra 5-10 PPG from his QB position. And with the depth this year at WR, maybe he felt it better to lock up QB?
I understand what you are saying here Sandman but I'm in this draft and the owner didn't take a RB until round six and that was in the form of Peyton Hillis. And although I do think he has a much better year than last, having him as a RB1 is pretty tough action. I think the amount of points lost there won't be made up over the year from the difference between Stafford and Eli on a week to week basis. I could very well be wrong, but I bet he will really regret not taking a RB in round three.
Go Big Red!

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Donny, I saw all your posts about MJD on the thread and they inspired me to take him. :D No seriously, I was ecstatic that he fell to 12 and although I hesitated about taking Cam that early in the second, I went in really wanting a top five QB so I pulled the trigger.
Go Big Red!

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:02 pm

The guy who picked the two QB's in the first 3 rounds could know exactly what he's doing...who knows. If Staford goes down in the first quarter of game 1 (Ask the '99 Jets if that can happen to your starting QB), Eli steps in and he's in good shape. If enough of his other picks hit, he can win the league. Last year I took 4 WR's in the first 4 rounds and then picked P. Manning in round 5. Would you have given me any chance to win the league? Well, that is what happened. The first 4 picks were Fitzgerald - Wayne - Welker - Britt. I went with only two RB's all year, but those guys were M. Lynch and M. Bush. My point is, never knock a guy's team on draft day. This is a funny game and the unexpected can, and will, happen.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:14 pm

CoMoHusker wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:Plus even a QB like Stafford had 7 games of 25 or less points. So he has a shot that Eli would do better in those weeks and he can get an extra 5-10 PPG from his QB position. And with the depth this year at WR, maybe he felt it better to lock up QB?
I understand what you are saying here Sandman but I'm in this draft and the owner didn't take a RB until round six and that was in the form of Peyton Hillis. And although I do think he has a much better year than last, having him as a RB1 is pretty tough action. I think the amount of points lost there won't be made up over the year from the difference between Stafford and Eli on a week to week basis. I could very well be wrong, but I bet he will really regret not taking a RB in round three.
I don't think I'd take two QBs that early but I can see how it could work. If Charles' ACL isn't 100% and he gets hurt, Hillis could be a STUD. All the while, with two top QBs, he greatly reduces his chances of ever losing 10+ points at QB when his QB1 has bad games.

I've seen it done in a couple DCs but usually a few rounds later, when it seems at the time that someone is just being cute and trying to block someone from landing the last worthy starting QB. Quite honestly, it does piss me off a bit at the time. :) It's an interesting strategy though.