QB points

BillyWaz

Re: QB points

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:17 am

TR wrote:
Henry Muto wrote:I was not a fan of -2 for INT. Would love to see that changed back to -1. Everything else seemed fine as it was.
I'd keep it -2...QB stats already inflated enough in today's passing league.
Agreed.....at 6 points per TD, -2 makes total sense.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Actually -2 makes less sense with the QB scoring being inflated. It just makes a greater gap between the guy who has a big game and one that doesn't. Basically the standard deviation is even higher due to the -2. Not to mention that probably a third of the interceptions aren't the QB's fault.

Wayne

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:24 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Actually -2 makes less sense with the QB scoring being inflated. It just makes a greater gap between the guy who has a big game and one that doesn't. Basically the standard deviation is even higher due to the -2. Not to mention that probably a third of the interceptions aren't the QB's fault.

Wayne
Wayne, I totally agree that the standard deviation can become even hight due to the -2 point deduction. However, I find it irrelevant on whose fault the INT is. I can spin that and say how many times does the QB benefit from throwing a 1 yard pass to a WR or a screen pass to a RB behind the line of scrimmage and the RB and WR takes it to the house? In those scenarios the RB/WR did all the work and the QB is still rewarded with 6 points. In other words, the QB's can make their skill position players look good and the skill players can bail their QB out on poorly thrown balls. I'm perfectly okay with INT's remaining at -2 points Hell, I'm in two leagues where turnovers are -2 points and a third turnover by your player is an additional minus 5 points!
Go Big Red!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Coltsfan wrote:Actually -2 makes less sense with the QB scoring being inflated. It just makes a greater gap between the guy who has a big game and one that doesn't. Basically the standard deviation is even higher due to the -2. Not to mention that probably a third of the interceptions aren't the QB's fault.

Wayne
I was just saying it reduces the QB scoring, I understand the gap it creates.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:38 am

comohusker,

I never really thought about it that way. But the one thing that comes to mind is that interceptions are 1 of 2 ways that scoring can be affected without the player causing the problem. If a RB fumbles it's his fault - no matter what the hit. If a TE catches a ball due to the defender falling down it's still his catch and while he might have gotten lucky, he deserves the points.

The 2 cases that I can think if where it isn't the players fault and yet the can be penalized are:

1. Defensive touchdowns scored by an offensive turnovers. Your defense is losing points based on the game score (although not always) and they had nothing to do with the score.

2. Quarterbacks can throw perfect strikes that bounce off a receivers chest and it intercepted. Or they could throw a hail mary which is actually the best possible play for a team yet take a -2 for no good reason.

I"m not saying this stuff needs to be changed. It's just part of the "luck" in fantasy football.

We could give QB's a 1000 point bonus for starting a game and use the exact same scoring system as we do now and it wouldn't change a thing as long as you had a starting QB in your lineup. The quantity of points is really irrelevant. It's the differential at each position that matters. Someone was asking me yesterday where Peyton Manning should go. I said it depends on how confident you are in getting someone to score well later in the draft. What I mean is that when you look at Jimmy Graham this past year - he outscored other TE's by a huge margin. He could have the exact same year next year in points scored and not be as valuable based on the other TE's production.

So when you look at this kind of stuff you have to look at everything, not just what a player is likely to score. It's all about finding gaps where you can get value at a certain position and hope that what you forecast is what happens. The QB scoring really only affects H2H, although it does that in a major way. Since the NFFC is basically a total points league it's not that important to win any given week. You just have to score. Even knowing that, it's still fun to put up those wins.....

Wayne