Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Coltsfan

Re: Is It Time to Move the 2nd FAAB Period to Saturday?

Post by Coltsfan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:40 am

BLACKHAND wrote:Plus one on what Nelson just said. A decision should be made one way or the other. This way you will only get a couple weeks of people clapping their hands or stomping their feet. One more thought. I realize we all have a deep passion for fantasy football . It is always nice to win some money also but at the end of the day this is not life-and-death and will not change your lifestyle of the future . educated and well thought out debates are cool but sometimes these threads cross the line a little bit. I am a firm believer of taking care of things face-to-face or at least making A phone call to resolve certain situations. That's just the way I live my life but I find that most situations can be handled amicably that way. Time to make a decision of the rules here and everyone can make a choice on if they want to play .

Now this just pisses me off Frank!

Just kidding - agreed completely! I'm fine with what Nelson and others have said. I prefer the other way but it just limits what I can do in managing leagues. I definitely see the point as to why two waivers can be better but I just didn't think it had that much impact to only have one. There is always a what if scenario..... Hopefully the time at least gets moved back to a bit later at the least.

Wayne

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:52 pm

It would be helpful to have the FAAB deadline set 1 -2 hours ahead...either 11pm or midnight EST.
@RedRyder

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 am

The Franchise wrote:Greg/Tom - I gave my thoughts on the FAAB deadline a few pages back, but I wanted to reiterate my opinion one more time. I think moving both Wednesday & Friday deadlines to 1AM ET would be a great change to give the West Coast guys more time and the East coast guys that have a 100 or so leagues to create bids for.... ;)

I also think making a quick decision on Thursday player locks is important, because if you guys do decide to make the change, IT probably needs all of the 3 months that are left before the first FAAB period. My opinion is that if you want to drop a player who played in a Thursday night game on Friday, you should be able to (As long as that player was not in your starting lineup).
Nelson, this has been a solid discussion and that's what I'm looking for. What I've found in baseball and football recently is that time is more valuable than money for most of you and if I can find ways to improve the games by saving you FAAB time I'm doing everyone a service. That goes for all of our games. I think FAAB is one area where we need to improve in all of our contests in all three sports.

I will definitely look into moving back the FAAB deadline for both days this season. That's a rule change that can be implemented and not to the harm of anyone since news isn't breaking at the final minutes in football.

The rest will stay the same for now. No change to just one FAAB for 2016, nor an imminent change for Thursday lineups yet. I'm talking with IT now about that and it's not an easy programming change at a time when we have everyone tied up on other projects, but I'll get more info this week. I totally understand the desire for this and we don't need this change until Week 2, so let me see what we can do. I totally get this Thursday request.

Honestly, I think there is a solution to all of this in football outside of just one Friday FAAB. As Chad said, you still need an option to pick up available free agents in the Thursday game. You can't exclude any available players in any given week in a high-stakes contest, so what's the solution? Maybe a FAAB just for those players on Wednesday night followed by full FAAB on Friday. I have no idea if that can be done but it sure makes some sense. And what a time savings that would be for everyone while giving everyone the full week to digest the news. That makes more sense than just Friday and it would be a huge time savings for what we have now.

Again, I have no idea how that could work, but I'll discuss with IT and see. Thoughts?

I appreciate all of the thoughts and suggestions here. I'm not sure why "idea" threads can so hijacked and bitter at times. We're all just looking for better ideas to make the game better, so why do these threads always run off course? I want guys like Wayne to play in more leagues and save more time. I want everyone to have options to pick up every available player every week. But time is money, so I have to do a better job of creating games that save time, are very competitive and very enjoyable. FAAB is a big sticking point in the growth of many of our games, so let's get smarter together.

I'll keep reading, so keep posting. Thanks all for igniting the ideas in our heads.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 pm

Greg, The idea of opening up bidding for the Thursday only game sounds good in theory However, once you dive into the problems a bit more deeply, it doesn't work. If you have a tough QB matchup Thursday night, just like the example I gave before, you do not know how to set a lineup if you don't know who you will get Friday. Nor do you have any idea how to bid on the Thursday guys, unless you are bidding on them in relation to the entire player pool. It really would not help anything unfortunately, in my opinion. Still seems like the best solution to handle the Thursday game, while allowing for people to enjoy weekend schedules, while also allowing for the ability to get moves in for everyone, is to leave it the same but move it to about 3 am eastern time. This is a time when no news is coming out. Allows people with all kinds of schedules the ability to get moves done with all of the Wednesday news. Not sure what else you could really do to have the best rules.
Last edited by Cocktails and Dreams on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:32 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Greg, The idea of opening up bidding for the Thursday only game sounds good in theory However, once you dive into the problems a bit more deeply, it doesn't work. If you have a tough QB matchup Thursday night, just like the example I gave before, you do not know how to set a lineup if you don't know who you will get Thursday. Nor do you have any idea how to bid on the Thursday guys, unless you are bidding on them in relation to the entire player pool.
Good point Chad. Here's the thread from 4 years ago that discussed this: http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 110#p69181

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:11 pm

I love fantasy sports.... :roll:
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:43 am

So whose ego will finally not require the last word and finally allow this thread to die? Or will this stupid thread go on forever?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:00 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:It is downright pathetic that Greg allows this bullshit on this message board.
Finally something worthwhile in this thread! (though I'm referring to this entire argument once the football aspects vanished) Really guys, you're not doing yourselves any favors airing out your dirty laundry like this. And the only reason to do it publicly is to try to gain followers - which isn't likely. Please just take this nonsense offline to PMs or texts or raven deliveries - anything but continuing to pollute the boards with this garbage. Much appreciated.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:05 am

Sandman62 wrote:
Cocktails and Dreams wrote:It is downright pathetic that Greg allows this bullshit on this message board.
Finally something worthwhile in this thread! (though I'm referring to this entire argument once the football aspects vanished) Really guys, you're not doing yourselves any favors airing out your dirty laundry like this. And the only reason to do it publicly is to try to gain followers - which isn't likely. Please just take this nonsense offline to PMs or texts or raven deliveries - anything but continuing to pollute the boards with this garbage. Much appreciated.
I think this sums it up perfectly. I'm not the villain for owning a message board where a perfectly good thread of opinions for a rule change got turned into a Snake vs. BWaz thread. I thought we were done with this. Trust me, I'll gladly delete the whole last 3-4 pages if that's what you want. I'll gladly do that today if you'd like.

Otherwise, let's put a nip to this and handle it outside. We have two of our best players going at it and it's not good for anyone. And when it's being done on West Coast time there's certainly nothing I can do about it in real-time. Worse yet, it's a baseball dispute being spewed on the football boards where nobody cares about the NFBC Platinum from 2014 or the NFBC Cutline rules from 2016. This is ridiculous.

Read your final words because they are disappearing soon. I'm pushing this thread back to the rules discussion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route C

Post by Route C » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:

Read your final words because they are disappearing soon. I'm pushing this thread back to the rules discussion.

Good decision! I'm so excited about the live events. Just booked my flight to NYC. Can't wait to see Billy...Frank...Andy..Tom and the guys. Let's get back to football!!!!!!