I'll Chat Today At 2 PM ET

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:00 am

Originally posted by telestar:
If you had to pick a major position to try to mix/match middling options instead of trying to generate strength (given the NFFC/NBC scoring system), would it be QB? I am leaning towards QB because it seems like two middle tier QBS played against the matchups could yield what a Carson Palmer-type player could provide. For example, would you be better off taking a good RB or WR in round four instead of Palmer and having two out of these - Hasselbeck, McNabb, E.Manning, Cutler & Bulger instead? You'd probably be using picks in round 6 and 8 or 6 and 9 instead of round 4. That's a great question. I'm not sure of the answer myself. I believe strongly in the value of having a good QB so waiting and hoping to land one of the ones you listed might not be the way to go given the considerable issues all of them have. It depends on the player ultimately. In WCOFF last year, Greg and I had no interest in taking a QB early but Palmer was by far the best player on the board in the third round so we took him. We couldn't pass on that value. That's often what it comes down to.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:01 am

Originally posted by telestar:
And that would be my answer to your situation - get the WR and leave the QB for later... So that's one vote for the WR in the third and waiting on a QB. What do the rest of you think? Flex those fantasy muscles that have brought in money in the NFFC in the past.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:07 am

I would go with a QB in the third and RB in the 4th.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:14 am

Tom,

I'll have to leave this as hypothetical because the 3rd and 4th rounds to me, are HUGE in the 12 teamer...

I'll say this...If you don't take a QB in round 3, you might as well plan on waiting until round 5-6 to take your QB.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:17 am

I think a QB in 3 might work well for you, especialy in a NFFC type of contest where TD's are 6 points each. I've had my fill of Cutler types. If you draft 2 of those you needed to use 2 picks and even then, you will likely choose the wrong QB when you set your lineup.

I see the "new" strategy this year is to wait for the right time to jump on one of the "sleeper" QB's (Carolina, Jax, Jets). You had better time that move right, especially if you are at an end of the draft (picks 1-3, or the other side).

Pete

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:30 am

Originally posted by Jersey Dawg:
I've had my fill of Cutler types.This is what it comes down to with me as well. I don't want to deal with the unpredictability that will come with so many of the third and fourth-tier QBs. If I can lock up a Romo, Brees or Palmer I'll sleep better at night.

I've been analyzing it and it comes down to one of two possible starts:

Option A
QB-Brees
RB-Gore
WR-Fitz/Housh/Andre Johnson
WR-Bowe

OR

Option B
QB-Eli (maybe McNabb)
RB-Gore
WR-Fitz/Housh/Andre Johnson
WR-Housh/Andre/Chad Johnson/Smith/Holt/Boldin

In a PPR league, which start would you guys rather have?

I'm enjoying this by the way. It's fun to ask you guys some questions for a change.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 am

I would pony up and take the QB of YOUR choice at 2.9 then the best available WR at 3.4

In a 12 teamer I would think that you could get your choice of Peyton/Romo/Brees in the second round. If you think that Romo/Brees will be there for in the third then take your WR in the second.

I feel that those 4 (including Brady) are the cream of the crop, and substantially so.

WR that could possibly be available within those 8 picks I imagine being very similar. Why not take Steve Smith in the 3rd round in this scenario, maybe nabbing Bowe on the way back?

Inf4life

Post by Inf4life » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 am

I would go with Option B if it was McNabb instead of Eli.
2007 NFFC Classic Champion

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 am

Originally posted by Go Getta:
I would go with Option B if it was McNabb instead of Eli. I'd rather have McNabb too but the risk would be that I take a top WR (and I agree Doomsday, I'd put Smith in that group in the third round) in the third and then miss out on McNabb when it gets back to me in the fourth or fifth. So I'm looking at waiting and then going after guys like Eli, Cutler, Rivers, Favre, etc.

My WRs would be stellar but is that worth the likely significant downgrade at QB? That's what I keep debating. It sure would be tough to pass on a big-time WR in the third in a PPR format, though.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:58 am

Here's big news of the day.

Alex Smith losing his starting QB gig with SF...

O'Sullivan taking his spot. I have no idea if this is good or bad news for fantasy.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."