Shrink Attack

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:54 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Flex option:

a.Daniel Thomas
b.Kellen Winslow
c.Kevin Walter
d.Just give up, the team probably sucks anyway. Walter. Most upside and could have really good game with AJ still out.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

chriseibl

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by chriseibl » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:57 am

Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
Flex option:

a.Daniel Thomas
b.Kellen Winslow
c.Kevin Walter
d.Just give up, the team probably sucks anyway. Walter. Most upside and could have really good game with AJ still out.
[/QUOTE]agreed 100% on walter

Diesel

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Diesel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:57 am

Sandman, thanks...I have Kellen Winslow in as flex, along with V.Davis in my TE spot. The flex spot isn't what's going to put me over the top here, but it could be the one that makes me lose by a small margin. A 10 point day is the safe points I'm looking for here.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Shrink Attack

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:58 am

Originally posted by chriseibl:
Delone Carter or Marshawn Lynch? They both suck, but at least you know Lynch will be the man and will get any GL touches that may come about.

The Indy backfield is a mess, and they could abandon the run early if they fall behind.

chriseibl

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by chriseibl » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:02 am

quote:Originally posted by chriseibl:
Delone Carter or Marshawn Lynch? They both suck, but at least you know Lynch will be the man and will get any GL touches that may come about.

The Indy backfield is a mess, and they could abandon the run early if they fall behind.
[/QUOTE]Thanks, I have got to make a mental note next year to stop drafting players who suck.

Sandman62

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:03 am

We have a similar decision, between Lynch and Jacobs. Lynch is on the road vs. DAL's stingy run D and his team probably getting blown out. Jacobs is on the road too, probably playing catch-up with the Pats all day. Lynch has struggled vs. the 3 good run Ds he's faced this year (SF, PIT, CIN). And DAL is no slouch either.

Carter will be playing catch-up too though and still splits with Brown a bit. I think you might have to roll with Lynch?

For us, I just think the Giants have a better shot of keeping up with the Pats than the Seahawks do at Dallas. With Bradshaw out, maybe Jacobs steals a cheap short TD or two after some pass interference end zone calls?

Shrink Attack

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:04 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
Sandman, thanks...I have Kellen Winslow in as flex, along with V.Davis in my TE spot. The flex spot isn't what's going to put me over the top here, but it could be the one that makes me lose by a small margin. A 10 point day is the safe points I'm looking for here. Ouch. That sounds like you're trying not to lose rather than playing to win. Some of your other starters might falter, and then you'll need upside points, not safe points. I would always go with the player with the most upside.

Shrink Attack

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:06 am

Originally posted by chriseibl:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
quote:Originally posted by chriseibl:

[/QUOTE]Thanks, I have got to make a mental note next year to stop drafting players who suck.
[/QUOTE]Actually, I have some teams where I'd love to have either Lynch or Carter. That shows how bad MY RB's suck!!

Sandman62

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:24 am

Sandman, thanks...I have Kellen Winslow in as flex, along with V.Davis in my TE spot. The flex spot isn't what's going to put me over the top here, but it could be the one that makes me lose by a small margin. A 10 point day is the safe points I'm looking for here. Ouch. That sounds like you're trying not to lose rather than playing to win. Some of your other starters might falter, and then you'll need upside points, not safe points. I would always go with the player with the most upside. [/QUOTE]Different philosophies. Along with chasing upside also comes potential downside. Getting a 3 point game from someone could hurt, especially during bye weeks, where many games are won with barely 100 points. IOW, sometimes it's just not worth the risk to chase upside. If you look at your opponent's lineup and think you have a good shot at winning as long as your guys don't sh.t the bed, then sometimes a near-guaranteed 10 points IS better than a slight chance at a big day.

[ November 06, 2011, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Sandman62 ]

Shrink Attack

Week 9 Sit/Start

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:39 am

Originally posted by Sandman62:
quote:Originally posted by Shrink Attack:
Sandman, thanks...I have Kellen Winslow in as flex, along with V.Davis in my TE spot. The flex spot isn't what's going to put me over the top here, but it could be the one that makes me lose by a small margin. A 10 point day is the safe points I'm looking for here. Ouch. That sounds like you're trying not to lose rather than playing to win. Some of your other starters might falter, and then you'll need upside points, not safe points. I would always go with the player with the most upside. [/QUOTE]Different philosophies. Along with chasing upside also comes potential downside. Getting a 3 point game from someone could hurt, especially during bye weeks, where many games are won with barely 100 points. IOW, sometimes it's just not worth the risk to chase upside. If you look at your opponent's lineup and think you have a good shot at winning as long as your guys don't sh.t the bed, then sometimes a near-guaranteed 10 points IS better than a slight chance at a big day.
[/QUOTE]You're right Mike, it's a different philosophy which is perfectly legitimate but antithetical to the way I approach the game.

For instance, I NEVER make lineup decisions based on who my opponent has going that week. I'm going to field the team that I think gives me the most points, period. Fantasy Football is too unpredictable (especially this year) to calculate the end result of a matchup. Again, it would feel like I was playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

I'm sure this approach has won me some games but lost me others, as well.